Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

412 starter motor
Forum Index -> 411/412 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jbvw412
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2023 9:16 am    Post subject: 412 starter motor Reply with quote

After all,
Was wondering if someone on here could help.
I am in need of a new starter motor and I'm struggling to find the right one.
I have read that an auto starter fromt most aircooled is the best option as this requires no bushing. Is this correct?
I'm based in the UK and all I can find is starter motors on ebay.
The main classic vw sites don't seem to specify anything type 4 related. Especially 412.
So can anyone shed some light on what starter motor will fit my 1973 412 1.7 petrol manual and where I can find one.

Below is a link to eBay for the starter I have found. It states it fits a 412 but is this true and will it be any good?
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/115520170422?mkcid=16&a...media=COPY
Pepperbilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2023 11:00 am    Post subject: Re: 412 starter motor Reply with quote

If you have the original starter you can have it rebuilt by a reputable auto electric shop.

If not just type in a search on this forum under “starter”. This has been discussed and Ray Greenwood provided some good info in the past. It is a self supporting starter and the automatic starter is a bit higher in HP I believe.

Bill
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Pelle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2023 4:12 am    Post subject: Re: 412 starter motor Reply with quote

The starter for a 4-speed manual is the same as in a regular beetle or a bus from the same era. Don´t forget to replace the starter bushing.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2023 7:01 am    Post subject: Re: 412 starter motor Reply with quote

The parts book I have lists two main starters and five different versions.

As Pepperbilly noted, the Automatic transmission which is a 003 (same basic automatic transmission for a type 3 car) uses a starter that does not have a shaft that protrudes out of its housing to plug into a recess with a bushing in the transmission case.

People call this type "self supporting" because it does not need a bushing installed in the case. The book shows this one as part # 003 911 023A

As Pelle notes....the four speed manual transmission uses these part #'s across various years.

311 911 023 B

111 911 023 A

311 911 023 C

311 911 023 D

If you have a manual, I would try to stick close to the part # you already have as there were two main designs of manual transmission and their bell housings have slightly different forms. I do not know if all of these manual transmission starter assemblies fit through all years.

For the 004 manual transmission the book shows a starter shaft bushing of part # 111 301 155.

Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2023 2:39 pm    Post subject: Re: 412 starter motor Reply with quote

While I can't speak to the variations in Type 4 bell housings over the years, I am reasonably sure that all Type 1 and Type 3 starters interchange (disregarding of course the difference in pinion gear between 6 and 12v versions).

Furthermore, as noted, the self-supporting starter was used on the Type 3 automatic and also on the Type 1 Auto-Stick and was rated at 0.6 hp as compared to the standard starter rated at 0.5 hp. So the automatic starter can be a nice upgrade because 1) you don't have to deal with the bushing anymore and 2) it's got a little more oomph.

So I would say that an automatic starter for a Beetle or Type 3 would *most likely* fit but do check your retailer's return policy first just in case. Very Happy
wbrown45
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2023 10:01 am    Post subject: Re: 412 starter motor Reply with quote

If you decide on the self supporting style starter the Bosch rebuilt part number is SR17X.
vw81jetta
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2023 3:55 pm    Post subject: Re: 412 starter motor Reply with quote

sjbartnik wrote:
While I can't speak to the variations in Type 4 bell housings over the years, I am reasonably sure that all Type 1 and Type 3 starters interchange (disregarding of course the difference in pinion gear between 6 and 12v versions).

Furthermore, as noted, the self-supporting starter was used on the Type 3 automatic and also on the Type 1 Auto-Stick and was rated at 0.6 hp as compared to the standard starter rated at 0.5 hp. So the automatic starter can be a nice upgrade because 1) you don't have to deal with the bushing anymore and 2) it's got a little more oomph.

So I would say that an automatic starter for a Beetle or Type 3 would *most likely* fit but do check your retailer's return policy first just in case. Very Happy

i know on my 75 Bus ( 1.8 type 4 ) Im running a now autostick starter same found on the type 1. the later buses that got a 2L engine have a bigger bell houseing

Greater Toledo Volkswagen Club Staff
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2023 5:18 am    Post subject: Re: 412 starter motor Reply with quote

The T-181s sold in the US market, had an automatic starter combined with a manual transmission, its pretty much a direct replacement. The 091 bellhousing which takes a different starter drive, and will not accept the automatic starter, didn't show up on T-2 Transporters until the 1976 model IIRC so I would doubt if it was on any Type 4 cars sold in the US market.

If you want more HP than the standard auto stick starter you could go with one out of a Vanagon with a 2.1 WBX engine, but the clocking of the solenoid is different and I don't know what problems that might cause on a Type 4 car.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2023 6:06 am    Post subject: Re: 412 starter motor Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
The T-181s sold in the US market, had an automatic starter combined with a manual transmission, its pretty much a direct replacement. The 091 bellhousing which takes a different starter drive, and will not accept the automatic starter, didn't show up on T-2 Transporters until the 1976 model IIRC so I would doubt if it was on any Type 4 cars sold in the US market.

If you want more HP than the standard auto stick starter you could go with one out of a Vanagon with a 2.1 WBX engine, but the clocking of the solenoid is different and I don't know what problems that might cause on a Type 4 car.

That's interesting! Never knew that about the 091 and the automatic starter.

However, the type 4 cars use a totally different manual transmission than the 091 called the 004 but since this thread started I have not checked to see if the 004 can or can not use the auto starter. I will check when I get back in in the am. Ray
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2023 10:43 am    Post subject: Re: 412 starter motor Reply with quote

raygreenwood wrote:
Wildthings wrote:

That's interesting! Never knew that about the 091 and the automatic starter.

However, the type 4 cars use a totally different manual transmission than the 091 called the 004 but since this thread started I have not checked to see if the 004 can or can not use the auto starter. I will check when I get back in in the am. Ray

Just adding detail to WV81Jetta's post "i know on my 75 Bus ( 1.8 type 4 ) Im running a now autostick starter same found on the type 1. the later buses that got a 2L engine have a bigger bell houseing)

The change in the bell housing is to accommodate the larger 228mm clutch setup, but the 091 bellhousing will still work with the earlier clutches, but it always requires the use of the later starter. The Vanagon uses the 091 bellhousing and matching starter as well.
Lars S
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2023 7:32 am    Post subject: Re: 412 starter motor Reply with quote

raygreenwood wrote:

Two 411 owners have told me (and say they also tested) that the starter from 411/412 autostick fits a 004 gearbox right on...I trust them but did you ever do the test Ray?

Happy holidays by the way!

/Lars S
Suzuki T500, -69, Candy Gold, sold Sad
Suzuki K50, -77, Black, daily driver
BMW R69S -69, White, sold Sad
Husqvarna 118cc, -47, Black, Sold Sad
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2023 11:24 am    Post subject: Re: 412 starter motor Reply with quote

Lars S wrote:
raygreenwood wrote:

Two 411 owners have told me (and say they also tested) that the starter from 411/412 autostick fits a 004 gearbox right on...I trust them but did you ever do the test Ray?

Happy holidays by the way!

/Lars S

Thank you for jogging my memory!

Yes I did check. My 004 has an automatic starter bolted to it! Ray
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> 411/412 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: