Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Birth of the Beetle by Chris Barber
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Splitdog
Samba Split Personality

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2022 3:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Birth of the Beetle by Chris Barber Reply with quote

I have a pristine one I'd let go of for the right price.

Z = z² + C

Der Blitzkrieg Kafers

#notacallooker
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Blue Baron
VW Aficionado

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2022 6:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Birth of the Beetle by Chris Barber Reply with quote

It's very sad to hear of Mr. Barber's passing.

I revere him for an entirely different reason. He was an avid toy collector, and his writings in various publications such as VW&Porsche inspired me to build my own collection. He was ahead of the curve, having collected since the 1960s.

I recently acquired a piece for my collection that I had been looking for for more than 40 years, that I first saw pictured in one of his articles.

As for his book, I'm lucky to have the copy I bought when it first came out.

Heinz Nordhoff
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
scottyrocks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2022 9:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Birth of the Beetle by Chris Barber Reply with quote

First, I am saddened by Mr. Barber's passing, and offer condolences.

Second, I think it's ridiculous that BotB is so hard to find and so expensive when one is located. There are dozens upon dozens of automotive books at the library and Barnes & Noble, and none of them cost eight million dollars. Whomever is the owner of the copywright to this tomb please just get another printing going so we can all buy one at a sane price, tyvm.
allsidius
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2022 8:14 am    Post subject: Re: Birth of the Beetle by Chris Barber Reply with quote

notchboy wrote:
Yeah, RIP as you have one of the most hyped books out there with little distributorship causing the it to be the most expensive thing out there.

Crying or Very sad

First of all. What a rotten post.

Second. Chris Barber never made a cent from any overpriced resale of his book. He got his $5 when the book was sold, and that's it. Jeff Bezos, on the other hand, made a bundle on resale of out of print books, Amazon is one of the biggest price hikers out there.

Third. Reissuing a book is a major task, and from what we now know, he was not well and probably could not take the stress. Hopefully his family can license the rights to the publication to the publisher for a reprint.

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2022 11:00 am    Post subject: Re: Birth of the Beetle by Chris Barber Reply with quote

allsidius wrote:
notchboy wrote:
Yeah, RIP as you have one of the most hyped books out there with little distributorship causing the it to be the most expensive thing out there.

Crying or Very sad

First of all. What a rotten post.

Second. Chris Barber never made a cent from any overpriced resale of his book. He got his $5 when the book was sold, and that's it. Jeff Bezos, on the other hand, made a bundle on resale of out of print books, Amazon is one of the biggest price hikers out there.

Third. Reissuing a book is a major task, and from what we now know, he was not well and probably could not take the stress. Hopefully his family can license the rights to the publication to the publisher for a reprint.

You are missing my point (or not) and its unfortunate that you think its rotten. You did a good job of backing up my sarcastic remark in a non-sarcastic manner so that some of the less touchy can get what I meant in not so many words. Cheers for that.

It is still rather unfortunate that it remains unobtanium for the staunchest of VW enthusiast. I do hope as well that it gets a reprint at a price more realistic.

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2022 12:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Birth of the Beetle by Chris Barber Reply with quote

allsidius wrote:
Jeff Bezos, on the other hand, made a bundle on resale of out of print books, Amazon is one of the biggest price hikers out there.

I thought I would point out it's not Amazon, at least for this book, it's private sellers on Amazon jacking up the price.

This is pretty common with hard to find (HTF) or out of print books and even other things on Amazon.com

I agree some books that are hard to find cost more but that's true of almost everything.
Example: 1000s of the VW parts in the classifieds on this site. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
56Cabrio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2022 12:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Birth of the Beetle by Chris Barber Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
allsidius wrote:
Jeff Bezos, on the other hand, made a bundle on resale of out of print books, Amazon is one of the biggest price hikers out there.

I thought I would point out it's not Amazon, at least for this book, it's private sellers on Amazon jacking up the price.

This is pretty common with hard to find (HTF) or out of print books and even other things on Amazon.com

I agree some books that are hard to find cost more but that's true of almost everything.

Good point Everett , more people in this world should really do their homework and learn before making ridiculous statements. We just might all get along better knowing the facts. Just saying Very Happy

1956 Rag Top owned since 1988
1956 Convertible owned since 2000
1963 Hard Top

RIP Dad 4/20/1951 - 2/4/2023
allsidius
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2022 1:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Birth of the Beetle by Chris Barber Reply with quote

56Cabrio wrote:
EverettB wrote:
allsidius wrote:

Good point Everett , more people in this world should really do their homework and learn before making ridiculous statements. We just might all get along better knowing the facts. Just saying Very Happy

Jeff Bezos has a percentage of every book that sells on Amazon. Of course he has no complaints when his sellers jack up the price. Not often I hear anyone take a bullet for Jeff Bezos, by the way.

Splitdog
Samba Split Personality

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2022 1:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Birth of the Beetle by Chris Barber Reply with quote

"My house is worth a million dollars. But I'll sell it to you for $600,000 because I think the prices are too high." Said no one ever.

Z = z² + C

Der Blitzkrieg Kafers

#notacallooker
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2022 6:38 am    Post subject: Re: Birth of the Beetle by Chris Barber Reply with quote

RIP Chris Barber. We will forever be grateful for his contribution to documenting early VW history.

I doubt that there is enough demand to justify an english language reprint. The people who want the book are likely numbered in the dozens or low hundreds. The demand needed to justify a reprint would be in the thousands.
VWoA literature and early dealership or distributor literature/pictures/information
cyberdyne systems 101
Sambanator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2023 3:54 am    Post subject: Re: Birth of the Beetle by Chris Barber Reply with quote

I've just paid for one described as in excellent condition for £200 (approx $247) plus postage. Seems a crazy amount to pay, but maybe its an investment! Looking forward to reading it (carefully!)

56' Oval
71' Westy
Stetoppingphoto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2023 3:19 am    Post subject: Re: Birth of the Beetle by Chris Barber Reply with quote

There should be a reprint of this book, who can afford the ridiculous prices people offer these at? I know I can't and I've had my eye out for one for years.
finster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2023 11:33 am    Post subject: Re: Birth of the Beetle by Chris Barber Reply with quote

amazed that abebooks has a couple on offer for £2,400 - both sellers are in the USA Shocked
if you can read french or german then these are still around for much less, la coccinelle is on amazon for 39 euros and der kaefer for £36

nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect...
Two Glove Boxes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2023 1:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Birth of the Beetle by Chris Barber Reply with quote

Lind wrote:
RIP Chris Barber. We will forever be grateful for his contribution to documenting early VW history.

I doubt that there is enough demand to justify an english language reprint. The people who want the book are likely numbered in the dozens or low hundreds. The demand needed to justify a reprint would be in the thousands.

Ditto!

1960 Dove Blue Double Cab Patina Build

Two Glove Boxes

DLK
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2023 1:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Birth of the Beetle by Chris Barber Reply with quote

On the other hand, authorizing someone to scan it into a PDF for a fee and distributing that would make it legal, widespread, affordable, and involve little or no investment on their part.
pastellgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2023 4:02 am    Post subject: Re: Birth of the Beetle by Chris Barber Reply with quote

A few words about Chris Barber, recently released in the last issue of the "Brezelfenster" magazine. Perhaps somebody has time to translate it.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Stetoppingphoto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2023 1:35 am    Post subject: Re: Birth of the Beetle by Chris Barber Reply with quote

Just me that checks the book sections in charity shops? Laughing

I live in hope.
bwaz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2023 10:31 am    Post subject: Re: Birth of the Beetle by Chris Barber Reply with quote

Isn't this topic more suitable in another forum? Accessories/Memorabilia etc?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Page 9 of 9

Jump to: