Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

'93 Cabrio Wolfsburg Fuel Gauge Sending Unit
Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Btfsplk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2023 4:03 pm    Post subject: '93 Cabrio Wolfsburg Fuel Gauge Sending Unit Reply with quote

Have others noticed that it seems it's virtually impossible to find replacement fuel gauge sending unit for '93 (and probably earlier) Cabriolet? Man did I search. Found some articles and instruction regarding cleaning up the original & rebuilding it for re-use, but mine showed no resistance change when moving the arm at all.

Found one company rebuilding vintage motorcycle sending units. They took a look at it, said they could do it, but suggested that I wait 3 months & then inquire again to see if I could get in line, send it in. They're too busy now.

Anyone find that good ones or new ones are virtually unavailable, or find a good source for good repair or rebuilding? Or a good source of new knock-offs or substitutes?
Butcher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2023 8:47 am    Post subject: Re: '93 Cabrio Wolfsburg Fuel Gauge Sending Unit Reply with quote

You have a car that is 30 years old. If you intend to keep it, you will experience things like this. It's not just a VW thing. It's hard for a company to make old parts that would just sit on the shelf for years and never move. Poor business model, especially for a cheap car like a Cabriolet.

Many of us hoard parts. Shop eBay and Craigslist regularly for parts we do not need......yet.
Btfsplk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2023 9:01 am    Post subject: Re: '93 Cabrio Wolfsburg Fuel Gauge Sending Unit Reply with quote

Thanks Butcher. I have been assuming that if someone found a substitute that would work, or a person or company producing knock-offs, I would have been able to find some discussion, marketing, or other promotion of that. So as you suggest, I will just keep watching and looking, and if I find one, grab it.
Butcher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2023 7:29 am    Post subject: Re: '93 Cabrio Wolfsburg Fuel Gauge Sending Unit Reply with quote

I have a VW Pickup [aka POS]. The fuel gauge stopped working and it's a sending unit. It took me a couple years before I was able to source a new one. Lots of looking around for ways to fix it. I do have one, but to date, it has not reached the top of the to do list. Right now, I reset the odometer when I fill up I usually get concerned when I get to 350 miles. I know it's low on fuel. The longest I went was 400 miles.
volkybus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2023 7:16 pm    Post subject: Re: '93 Cabrio Wolfsburg Fuel Gauge Sending Unit Reply with quote

On my 95 Jetta it's(fuel pump/gauge) is the same as s a 93eurovan whick I used
Maybe another one will fit.sometimrs we have to think outside the box. Good luck. Bill
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: