Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Ed Roth's Wishbone VW rod
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2023 4:55 pm    Post subject: Ed Roth's Wishbone VW rod Reply with quote

Ed Roth, of Rat Fink cartoon fame, also built rods. This was his only VW powered car. Notice the dual carb 36 horse engine with no cooling tins! Look at that shifter and think about how that works. I think this is a unique contribution to the rods of the day AND VW kit cars in their infancy. Those tiny front tires and lack of front brakes looks a bit scary!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by EVfun on Wed Apr 19, 2023 8:56 am; edited 1 time in total
kpf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2023 5:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Ed Roth's Wishbone VW rod Reply with quote

EVfun wrote:
...with no cooling tins!

That's fine since it appears to have no FAN either! Rolling Eyes
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2023 5:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Ed Roth's Wishbone VW rod Reply with quote

I smell BBQ.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2023 5:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Ed Roth's Wishbone VW rod Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
I smell BBQ.
How much trouble are you really gonna get into with less than 50 horsepower? Shocked
OCD Garage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2023 7:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Ed Roth's Wishbone VW rod Reply with quote

I'm sure it's basically kinetic art like most of his other creations were. I remember seeing a picture of him using his bare hands to sculpt the head light for the Mysterion in bondo like it was clay. It may run and be drivable (I've read some didn't) but a 36hp without cooling tins/fan in city traffic would be short-lived I fear.
torchwerks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2023 7:31 am    Post subject: Re: Ed Roth's Wishbone VW rod Reply with quote

Ed actually worked a lot with VW power later on, especially his trikes. His backyard was filled with parts, some made their way onto my brothers ragtop.

Ed hated the Wishbone so much (he hated the way it rode) that he cut it in half and tried to throw it away.

Yes, most of his early rides weren't meant to be driven, just ways to attract kids to his booth to buy t-shirts.
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2023 9:01 am    Post subject: Re: Ed Roth's Wishbone VW rod Reply with quote

torchwerks wrote:
Ed actually worked a lot with VW power later on, especially his trikes. His backyard was filled with parts, some made their way onto my brothers ragtop.

Ed hated the Wishbone so much (he hated the way it rode) that he cut it in half and tried to throw it away.

Yes, most of his early rides weren't meant to be driven, just ways to attract kids to his booth to buy t-shirts.

You are right -- I corrected my post. Ed Roth made of number of VW powered trikes using everything from 36 horse engines to type 4 parts. He also made a mid engine Corvair powered car. He even used a Geo Metro 3 cylinder on his last creation, Stealth 2000.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2023 11:40 am    Post subject: Re: Ed Roth's Wishbone VW rod Reply with quote

Show cars only need to run well enough to get on and off the trailer and into the building. That shot of it on the street may have been him taking it around the block to the back door of the shop.

Actually some show cars don't even run.
torchwerks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2023 12:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Ed Roth's Wishbone VW rod Reply with quote

The shot of it on the street is his son, Darryl. He got the pieces of the Wishbone from Ed's buddy, Dirty Doug, and put it all back together.
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2023 9:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Ed Roth's Wishbone VW rod Reply with quote

Nobody picked up on the fact that the rear end has been narrowed at least 5 inches.

Cool car, not j-walker friendly, though 😊
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2023 3:54 am    Post subject: Re: Ed Roth's Wishbone VW rod Reply with quote

The two carburetors look like Holley "BugSpray" units, a popular upgrade offered in the '60's and '70's.

The muffler appears to be a simple round long cylinder with 4 shortened and possibly gutted Type 1 "pea shooters" welded on. Also note that due to the muffler being positioned so close to the engine, the front was notched for clearance to the crank pulley.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: