Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread!
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 53, 54, 55, 56, 57  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wabisabi0214
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2023 11:28 pm    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

rlebo wrote:
My first post…..be kind.
1991, Carat Tin Top, Factory 14” Alloys, owned since 1993, 243K miles

I’ve been researching stock tires sizes (205/70/14)
My old Michelin MXL’s are finally showing signs of sidewall checking and it’s time for new shoes. I’d like to keep the same size tire (with dwindling choices).

Has anyone installed General Altimax RT45 205/70R14 98T XL ???
They are apparently made by Continental.
With a 98 max load derated 9% (1653 x .91) = 1504 lbs which is over the required 1433 lbs for a 2WD
These Generals have the XL sidewall Load Range and max PSI of 51lbs
Following is a site with all the specs. Walmart is cheaper.

https://www.tireagent.com/products/general-altimax-rt45-15577330000

Looking forward to replies or alternate tires and reasons why, with links.
Thank you.

I had some experience with Altimax a few years ago and they always had problems being slightly out of round when new and then getting worse due to the belts getting torn/broken. I was lucky to get half the guaranteed mileage out of them and that was with putting up with vibration from the above. They were cheaper but not worth it.
VicVan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2023 11:45 am    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

Well, given the lack of options in 215/60R16, I'm now looking at 215/65R16. Many options, including the Nokian WR4, but I'm wary of the bigger size
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
I'm currently running 215/60, so 1.9% bigger than stock, I'm happy with the gearing and rpm as it is (keep in mind it is an Inline 4 VW 2.0 L, 135 hp, 135 lb.ft hooked up to a stock automatic transmission).

Using 215/65 would increase diameter another 3.1% more than what I have now. How big of a difference does it actually make, dirving wise, especially uphill?
tjet Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2023 2:14 pm    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

I'm replacing my .85 4th gear with a .925 in my syncro. I'm running a 29" tire, and with the new gear, the cruise RPM will be close to the factory 26" tire. (4.86 R&P)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
do.dah
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2023 11:17 pm    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

I'm running 205/65-16's with a 2.3 wbx'r with a 4 speed. In 4th gear, I can accelerate, if you wanna call it that, without dropping a gear, going up most mountain passes around here.
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2023 7:09 am    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

do.dah--What brand?

Duncan
VicVan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2023 11:14 am    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

Does anyone have feedback on these: BFGoodrich Trail-Terrain T/A® Tire
215/65R16 98T
M+S, snowflake-mountain rated

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/bfgoodrich-trail-terrain-t-a-tire-3080828p.5081400.html

edit: It's either the BF Goodrich or the Nokian WRC4 215/65R16 102H
https://www.kaltire.com/en/tires/wrg4-suv/309183.html?cgid=tires

thebaz67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2023 10:53 am    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

Not sure if this is an option for you but if you go slightly smaller this may fit the bill. I am looking into new tires as well for the 16inch rims

https://www.kaltire.com/en/tires/wr-c3/169636.html?cgid=tires
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
thebaz67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2023 11:33 am    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

One more option that I found...

https://www.discounttiredirect.com/buy-tires/michelin-defender-ltx-m-s/p/11331
VicVan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2023 4:15 pm    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

Thanks! I actually went for Nokian WRC3 in 205 65 16. I wanted to gather some first impressions before posting an update.
Mckinleyvillian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2023 8:56 pm    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

i've got some general altimax artic studded snow tires with studs sitting on a set of wheels. the tires have great life left to them and i'd really like to see how 15s ride...

anyone have experience driving destudded tires? I realize it's not ideal but I'm never going to use these snow tires and they haven't sold on CL...

85 Vanagon GL 1.9 stick
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2023 3:30 am    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

They drive just fine.

Duncan
MacDude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2023 4:39 pm    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

VicVan wrote:
wesitarz wrote:
Seem to be more choices with 215 65R 16 looking at Tire Rack. Run a different tire on the rears?

I know, but 215 65 takes me 7% bigger than stock, that's too much. And I'd rather have one type of tire only...

@VicVan what did you end up getting?
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BCE56
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2023 11:45 am    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

Starting to think about new tires.
Current tires are approximately 10 years old, have about 30 K miles on them. Five wheel rotation per Jon Slider every 5000 miles. A bit more than 1/2 tread remaining. Some slight feathering is noticeable. Sidewall cracks are visible near the rims and at the base of the tread lugs.

I have been quite satisfied w/ these BFG AT/TAs. 215/75 R15 on Rhein rims..
What i can expect from the newer AT/TA KO2s?

'86 Syncro tintop
EJ22, OBD II early SC adapter plate conversion

Side project: '69 Frankenbug "It's alive!"
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2023 7:48 am    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

FYI, you should replace tires after a max of 7 years. 10 years is rolling the dice on de-lamination.

KO2s are great tires.
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2023 8:16 am    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

BCE56 wrote:
Starting to think about new tires.
Current tires are approximately 10 years old, have about 30 K miles on them. Five wheel rotation per Jon Slider every 5000 miles. A bit more than 1/2 tread remaining. Some slight feathering is noticeable. Sidewall cracks are visible near the rims and at the base of the tread lugs.

I have been quite satisfied w/ these BFG AT/TAs. 215/75 R15 on Rhein rims..
What i can expect from the newer AT/TA KO2s?

I think the newer ones are quiter than the previous version. I like mine. Same size, same rims even.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
BCE56
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2023 1:35 pm    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

Now- Must I buy 5?
Or only 4, (saving the best as spare) and hope for the best?

'86 Syncro tintop

DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2023 8:03 pm    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

Depends on how you drive. I wouldn't go deep into Death-if-you-can't-get-out-country, but if driving around town and you can quickly get another so you only have to put 40 ish miles on the spare, then buy 4. But 2 years from now the spare won't be getting any better down there, and I'd want to replace it in any event. So you put off spending $200 only for a couple of years and by then the tires will be $250. And now you will be rotating a new one with used ones, and that means....what? Guess I'd pony up now.

Duncan
MacDude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2023 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

After bouncing around various forums and discussions I ended up at my local Big-O because they had a couple of different tires that fit and were XL rated.

Now I have these.

https://www.bigotires.com/tires/line/big-o/legacy-as-plus/prod5360001

I decided that I'm not off highway enough to justify AT tread.

Have a good summer!
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BCE56
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2023 11:56 am    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

I've been running BFG AT's since the mid '70's w/ no problems. These were on Detroit 4X4 trucks until I got the Syncro.
My rig sees mostly city streets and periodic long-distance HWY travel, occasional dirt roads cautiously negotiated as I usually travel solo.

I figure these tires will get me to Syncrofest but I wouldn't trust them to survive a 2700 mi round trip to CO this summer.

With that in mind I just registered on America's Tire/BFG website for $110 discount on a set of 4 tires.

LATER: Bit the bullet. Five new tires should be here next Tuesday.

'86 Syncro tintop

DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2023 5:50 am    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

MacDude wrote:
After bouncing around various forums and discussions I ended up at my local Big-O because they had a couple of different tires that fit and were XL rated.

Now I have these.

https://www.bigotires.com/tires/line/big-o/legacy-as-plus/prod5360001

I decided that I'm not off highway enough to justify AT tread.

Have a good summer!

Size??

Duncan
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 53, 54, 55, 56, 57  Next
Jump to:
Page 54 of 57

Jump to: