Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

USB charger port camper install -stupid questions
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
2type2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2023 7:38 am    Post subject: USB charger port camper install -stupid questions Reply with quote

Looking to put a USB charger/outlet install ,other than just using an adapter in the cig lighter. Question is regarding amperage ratings, as I see varying outputs available at 2.5, 3.8, 4.8 and such--
-- Since different accessories use different rates, how do I know which kind to install? I want to run it to 12v with an inline lighted on/off toggle and what size Fuze inline?? Tha nks.
Opossum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2023 3:38 pm    Post subject: Re: USB charger port camper install -stupid questions Reply with quote

Use the adapter which has equal or more amps output than your largest draw device requires.

Voltage must be equal to demand (or very close).

Amperage output can be equal to or higher than the largest demand.

If a device requires 2 amps and you use a 5 amp adapter that is okay, but you can't use your 2 amp device with a 1 amp adapter.
Virginia Whiteface (Opossum) the first VW
Camper Special Club Member
1973 Orange Westfalia Hard top, Original owner
2type2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2023 7:08 am    Post subject: Re: USB charger port camper install -stupid questions Reply with quote

Thanks for that.One concern is putting too many amps into a lower amp demand unit. I don't get why there is different rated units when it's OK to just use the higher output and cover everything.
These permanently mounted outlets I am considering already contain a specified output and I will Not be using the adapters which came with the electronics.Just cable direct to appliance. I figure best to install a toggle to cut power when not in use, to avoid constant draw.

So you assure I can safely plug a 2.5 amp unit ino a 4.8 amp output? OK then. I still don't
get the electrical theory.
Opossum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2023 8:28 am    Post subject: Re: USB charger port camper install -stupid questions Reply with quote

A device will only use as much current/amps as it needs.
Virginia Whiteface (Opossum) the first VW
Camper Special Club Member
1973 Orange Westfalia Hard top, Original owner
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2023 8:36 am    Post subject: Re: USB charger port camper install -stupid questions Reply with quote

You plug items with a low amp draw into a higher amp service everyday. Does your TV explode? Has your tableside lamp melted down? Do your headlights immediately burn up?

An electrical item will only use the amount of power that can pass through it, so a 2.5 amp unit plugged into a source that can provide up to 50 amps will still only pull 2.5 amps. Upping the amps that are available from a source simply allows more items (or higher draw items) to be connected to that source -- that's why folks install alternators in place of their stock generator or go with higher output versions of the same.

Now if the item in question is damaged or worn out then it may actually draw more amps than what it's supposed to, but that's not caused by the source having higher amps available.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2023 10:06 am    Post subject: Re: USB charger port camper install -stupid questions Reply with quote

Think of the source (outlet) like a car jack, it can lift 4 tons, what you are plugging in is the car, if it weighs 2 tons the jack can lift it easily, things only become a problem when you try to lift a 5 ton car.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
2type2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2023 4:44 pm    Post subject: Re: USB charger port camper install -stupid questions Reply with quote

Makes more sense now. Now I see it's a simple matter of only matching voltage, and not overloading total amperage available. Might as well get the outlet with higher amps output then. I also want to get a small 12v battery to power a fan. Plumbing is easier,lol.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: