Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

OutBack,, is it a Bear?
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
madmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2023 7:37 pm    Post subject: Re: OutBack,, is it a Bear? Reply with quote

When you live in the forest,anywhere behind the house & barns is 'outback' Rolling Eyes Laughing
76 Drag/Street bug 2180cc 'Turbo' 11:85 @113 mph"If I go any faster I'll burn up the Hamster" ,gets 28 mpg. also 10/09/22 11.90 @115 mph
"If I'm ever on Life Support,UNPLUG Me, Then Plug me back In see if that Works"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Emily's Owner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2023 9:20 pm    Post subject: Re: OutBack,, is it a Bear? Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
My Wife has a couple of those, big attitude in a little package, luckily they are small enough to push around, but the kicks still hurt. Ambitious as they are it'd be a mighty feat to make babies with a full size mare, they just aren't tall enough. Razz

Cool little animals, not a pony but a real horse, just shrunken, she has them pull a cart and shows them "in hand" now and then (leads them around a pre determined pattern or over obstacles, prizes for those who behave).

Vets have a tough time with them due to their small stature. Gravity doesn't work when they're so short to begin with. Our Shetland/Mini mix colicked twice - she came back the first time with lots of meds and dry pasture (which she hated), the second time it happened it was winter and she was not so lucky, we ended up having to put her down and it was just awful.

We used to take her to team roping practice at a local arena to get her used to other horses besides ours - they just didn't know what to think of her since she was so small. My biggest worry was she'd get kicked by a regular sized quarter horse since she was such a smart ass. Finally decided she was better off staying home.

ITMC - OG Den Mother

What (and I cannot stress this enough) The Actual Fuck?!

1974 Transporter
2023 Subaru Outback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2023 8:01 am    Post subject: Re: OutBack,, is it a Bear? Reply with quote

Emily's Owner wrote:
busdaddy wrote:
My Wife has a couple of those, big attitude in a little package, luckily they are small enough to push around, but the kicks still hurt. Ambitious as they are it'd be a mighty feat to make babies with a full size mare, they just aren't tall enough. Razz

Cool little animals, not a pony but a real horse, just shrunken, she has them pull a cart and shows them "in hand" now and then (leads them around a pre determined pattern or over obstacles, prizes for those who behave).

Vets have a tough time with them due to their small stature. Gravity doesn't work when they're so short to begin with. Our Shetland/Mini mix colicked twice - she came back the first time with lots of meds and dry pasture (which she hated), the second time it happened it was winter and she was not so lucky, we ended up having to put her down and it was just awful. .

Yeah, the feed thing astounds me with them, they can only have a little tiny 1/4 cup of oats and a bit of weak local hay twice a day, and can only get out on pastures that are eaten down to nothing and look like the moon, yet they still get a little fat now and then.
She lost a horse to colic years ago when some do gooder dumped his grass clippings over the fence for the horse thinking he was doing it a favor, ever since everything gets a strict diet and none of our turnouts border on places where the public can reach them.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2023 8:16 am    Post subject: Re: OutBack,, is it a Bear? Reply with quote

We had a 1/4 horse that foundered every summer on fresh grass. What a pain in the butt she was! Spent hours walking her up and down the road!
Emily's Owner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2023 9:10 am    Post subject: Re: OutBack,, is it a Bear? Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
We had a 1/4 horse that foundered every summer on fresh grass. What a pain in the butt she was! Spent hours walking her up and down the road!

It's the high sugar content in Spring and Fall grasses that are part of the problem. We were fortunate none of the quarter horses were affected (we had other things like a bowed tendon in one and laminitis in an elderly rope horse).

ITMC - OG Den Mother

What (and I cannot stress this enough) The Actual Fuck?!

1974 Transporter
2023 Subaru Outback
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2023 10:53 am    Post subject: Re: OutBack,, is it a Bear? Reply with quote

A good part of her problem was that she was the laziest horse I ever met. Never moved faster than a slow walk... if you could get her to do that even! Oh she could run alright, if you ever got her a 1/4 mile from home and let down your guard and she got the bit in her teeth you would be back home in a flash!

The next horse we bought was an Islandic/Arabian cross. She ran most of the day, all by herself, racing the dog, racing cars driving by or just running for the joy of running! We had to lunge her on the end of a rope for 15 minutes before you could ride her just to burn off some excitement and energy. Great little horse, lots of fun to ride and never, ever overate and went lame like that 1/4 horse did.
madmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2023 4:25 am    Post subject: Re: OutBack,, is it a Bear? Reply with quote

Well This time it was a BEAR , our dog barks when some one pulls in the drive way, so the wife looked out front, nope nobody here.? I look outside near the bird bath , yep, a Young 1/2 grown Black Bear,, My Camera was in my bug cuz I just got home from the Vintage VW Fest Rolling Eyes Laughing The bear trotted off as soon as I slide the deck door open Laughing it will be back when our Apples are ripe, Rolling Eyes It was checking them out, started to climb one of our trees,, Cheers,Mike
76 Drag/Street bug 2180cc 'Turbo' 11:85 @113 mph"If I go any faster I'll burn up the Hamster" ,gets 28 mpg. also 10/09/22 11.90 @115 mph
"If I'm ever on Life Support,UNPLUG Me, Then Plug me back In see if that Works"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2023 4:56 am    Post subject: Re: OutBack,, is it a Bear? Reply with quote

Black bears, beets , Battlestar Galactica
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2023 5:30 am    Post subject: Re: OutBack,, is it a Bear? Reply with quote

Black bears are big, strong and climb well. They can inflict considerable damage to an apple tree! Coyotes and deer will eat the windfalls and what they can reach but a bear will sit up in the tree and force the apples to come to him at the expense of a lot of broken branches.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: