Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Anyone still driving their VW daily?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 49, 50, 51, 52  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
MacFeverr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2022 1:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone still driving their VW daily? Reply with quote

Driving my "new" 1958 daily since I bought it one week ago

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Tinktinkvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2022 6:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone still driving their VW daily? Reply with quote

my 64 I drive daily. Its my only transportation. taking kids to school every morning. I work on german cars for a living so im always on top of the mechanics of the car. Its a lifestyle for me
145 front tires, 160 rears. 2 1/2 drop spindles and welded in adjusters. rear droped one notch.
lojoma
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2022 9:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone still driving their VW daily? Reply with quote

I typically drive Vera a few times a month, but with my wife's truck in the shop, she is now my daily driver for a while.
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2023 5:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone still driving their VW daily? Reply with quote

I don't drive mine everyday. But a few times a week to enjoy and have a little fun with.
Monday morning this week, I drove it to the family ranch for a tree planting day.
On the drive, I was treated to a lovely sun rise,

This pic is downtown Yamhill, Or. If you ever drive through this little hamlet. Make damn sure your doing the speed limit. There's a officer that loves to write tickets, for speeding cars.

Oak Ridge Rd. This was right after almost hitting a bridge guardrail, do to icy road conditions,

The tree planting went well. We usually plant anywhere between 1 to 2K trees a year. We managed close to 500 Monday.
I'm still feeling the soar muscles. Confused

Sorry about the portrait image orientation. The phone was mounted to the windshield.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
Bub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2023 2:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone still driving their VW daily? Reply with quote

Since there's no Daily Driver thread in the Ovals, I'll put mine here.
Drive it 3-7 days a week just depending on my mood and weather...I drive it every day possible.
car 54'
engine 1.4L (64x83mm)
trans Original
tires 195/50 X 175/55
mpg 24mpg
miles 133k possibly?
satisfaction level - HIGH!
wish list ; Properly sort the suspension, or put it back to stock.

The likely future of this car will be back to stock when I get the green/ white 63' into driver status. So, it'll be a couple years.

My FUTURE driver:

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2023 7:49 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone still driving their VW daily? Reply with quote

Yesterday evening.

Then I woke up to this. Shocked

Many of you folks East of the Cascade/Sierra range are likely used to this type of weather.
In Oregon? We just don't see this stuff often.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
RainierHooker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2023 5:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone still driving their VW daily? Reply with quote

"Blue", the Beetle that my wife (except for when i steal it) has been daily driving since October...

Its got a 12v conversion and a stock '67 1500 out back. Everything else is stock '64 Deluxe, and occasionally snow tires.
72alpinewhitebus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2023 4:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone still driving their VW daily? Reply with quote

Long road back but a DD once again. I'm considering later model taillights for safety (currently snowflakes), and still not sure if drop spindles actually improve the performance of the car. So much debate on that. Other than that he's done and maintenance only! Thanks gang!

72 Westy
60 Sedan
79 Vert
AlteWagen
Troll

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2023 6:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone still driving their VW daily? Reply with quote

72alpinewhitebus wrote:
I'm considering later model taillights for safety (currently snowflakes), and still not sure if drop spindles actually improve the performance of the car. So much debate on that. Other than that he's done and maintenance only! Thanks gang!

Snowflakes on a daily need help. A dedicated ground wire to the bulb holder is a must no matter what. What Ive done for my daily drivers with early lights is to put in new reflectors and remove the diffuser. With regular bulbs it is SUPER bright, Id imagine with new LED bulbs they would be even more bright. If you still want more a 67 reverse light with red lens works well.

For me, lowering helps at freeway speeds but you have to be more aware of road hazards.
Stockholm VW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2023 10:57 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone still driving their VW daily? Reply with quote

My daily since i bought it years ago. Approximately 6,000 miles per year. I just replaced all door and quarter cards, so she looks “real purdy” inside now.

slayer61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2023 10:10 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone still driving their VW daily? Reply with quote

Not daily, but today was "Drive your air-cooled car to work" day

My boss has a very clean & tidy, mostly original '65 that's older than him Embarassed

And I drove my buggy.

Very Happy

... Most folks are idiots when it deals with electrical !!!

67rustavenger wrote:

3/4 race cam? What's missing, one of the lobes? Shocked

Paul

'68 Manx clone... Sears??
2276 built on AS21 case
W-125 w/ GB 1.25:1 rockers
Mahle forged pistons
CB 4340 crank
CB H beam rods
deep sump
44 HPMX
EMPI GTV 2 STG II wedge ports
CB Magna spark
1 5/8 merged collector w/ hater stinger
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2023 1:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone still driving their VW daily? Reply with quote

I have pretty much quit driving my '66 altogether--------too many a-holes in jacked up trucks around here that seem determined to run into it. After owning it for 19 years, I believe the time has come to get rid of it. Crying or Very sad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2023 6:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone still driving their VW daily? Reply with quote

iowegian wrote:
I have pretty much quit driving my '66 altogether--------too many a-holes in jacked up trucks around here that seem determined to run into it. After owning it for 19 years, I believe the time has come to get rid of it. Crying or Very sad

Is this an age (yours) thing, or it's just to damn risky driving your car these days?

I'm not looking forward to the day I get too old to drive and my daughter takes my driving privilege's away.

I do enjoy working on my cars, other than constantly removing the engine to make, yet another improvement.
But as I age, the engine removal/installation process gets more difficult. Crying or Very sad

Please think it over, before deciding on selling your baby.
You don't want to regret selling it!

iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2023 7:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone still driving their VW daily? Reply with quote

67rustavenger wrote:
iowegian wrote:

Is this an age (yours) thing, or it's just to damn risky driving your car these days?

I'm not looking forward to the day I get too old to drive and my daughter takes my driving privilege's away.

I do enjoy working on my cars, other than constantly removing the engine to make, yet another improvement.
But as I age, the engine removal/installation process gets more difficult. Crying or Very sad

Please think it over, before deciding on selling your baby.
You don't want to regret selling it!

Even though I am 79, I feel my driving skills are still acceptable (in fact, next week I am setting out on a 6,000 mile road trip in a Rent-a-Mazda).
No, I am just tired of constantly worrying that someone will just pull out in front of my little old car. It's as if it's invisible. And the tailgating in this little town is insane. I really don't want this wonderful car to be destroyed.
MrGoodtunes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2023 9:15 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone still driving their VW daily? Reply with quote

iowegian wrote:
... tailgating in this little town is insane ...

Same here in my big city with horendous traffic, and my VW's body is just plastic (fiberglass kitcar). So I built a high center mounted stop light, which has help'd me at least feel better. Have you consider'd a 3rd brake light?

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=714866
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
AlteWagen
Troll

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2023 12:02 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone still driving their VW daily? Reply with quote

Accidents are just part of daily driving, if you are not properly insured you are taking a huge risk for sure.

My 60 has been a daily for decades now and only took a short vacation the last few years till the place got settled. I consider the car sacrificial at this point after my brother smashed the never wrecked body racing around years back. Been doing a ton of maintenance to the old rig lately and finally got a little time to do a bit of body work and put some german fenders to replace the old repros that got put on after the wreck.

At least replacement parts are available for most years these days, even the early stuff. If I wanted to make it perfect almost every piece of front end sheet metal is now available but as a driver straightish is good enough.

Next project is to replace a worn axle that keeps eating drums and leaking all over the place.
AlteWagen
Troll

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2023 12:11 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone still driving their VW daily? Reply with quote

MrGoodtunes wrote:
Same here in my big city with horendous traffic, and my VW's body is just plastic (fiberglass kitcar). So I built a high center mounted stop light, which has help'd me at least feel better. Have you consider'd a 3rd brake light?

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=714866

This is mandatory these days for sure. I had to put one on the bus due to all the million year old drivers on the road at my old place.

Larmo63
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2023 9:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone still driving their VW daily? Reply with quote

I drive this ‘62 ragtop almost every day around town. Farthest it’s been from here in my ownership is probably 50 miles.

Good for city streets, not really great on the freeway.

'62 Pearl White Ragtop sedan
'66 Ruby Red Cabriolet
'86 Porsche 911 Carrera
VWNate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2023 4:58 pm    Post subject: Daily Driving My '59 # 113 Reply with quote

I'm lucky (sort of) in that I live in Los Angeles so there's little worry about rusting further than it is now .

I certainly understand the worries about the bad drivers here but as far as I can tell, they're EVERYWHERE these days (? dayze ?) and I'm not going to live forever so I drive it come what may .

We're in the middle of a heat wave (100* F in the shade) so of course I'm out driving it instead of my old truck with A/C Shocked .

QUESTION (for AlteWagen or anyone else) :

Where can I get a R/F fender and hood for my '59 Bug ? .

As far as safety, as soon as I bought my '59 I put in LED bulbs then rustled up some '67 Bug backup lamps and fitted red lenses, so far so good .

Then I discovered someone here makes 6 volt LED panels for snowflake/honeycomb (whatever they're called this month) taillights and bought a set, I am very please with how bright they are even at idle .

Remember : if you keep it stock you can drive it anywhere at any time and it won't let you down, you cannot overheat stock engine if it's properly maintained due to unlimited free coolant .

One last Beetle : 1959 #113 DeLuxe survivor ~ 36HP & full synchro tranny, 6 volts etc.
AlteWagen
Troll

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2023 11:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Daily Driving My '59 # 113 Reply with quote

VWNate wrote:
Where can I get a R/F fender and hood for my '59 Bug ?

German parts are getting difficult to find these days. Luckily your front fender is the same from 59 through 66. The hole for the turn signal can be changed if you find good late fenders. The 4 tab hood on the other hand is gonna be hard. Again luckily you need a late version which is a bit easier to find but shipping is usually the killer.

The only way to make parts affordable these days is to buy basket case cars with the parts you need and sell off all the stuff you dont. If you are lucky you get the parts for cheap or free.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 49, 50, 51, 52  Next
Jump to:
Page 50 of 52

Jump to: