Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My new clear top.
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Skulptorchaz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2023 6:02 pm    Post subject: My new clear top. Reply with quote

Hey folks, I thought I would post my latest creation - Clear vinyl top. It's the heaviest vinyl I could buy and it's for convertible car top windows. I have been wanting to get this done for awhile and since I drive to Pismo in 2 weeks, I had to get the lead out. (I'll probably need it!)
I took it on a maiden voyage this evening. I took it down the "super slab" at 70+mph and it was very acceptable. No "flutter", thanks to a t-shirt placed on top of the roll bar. A couple small wind leaks, to be expected, but not bad. It should shed the vast majority of rain but I expect a couple leaks.
If it is sunny out, heat WILL NOT be a problem! 😁 That is what I want, in case you are thinking that would be a problem. (It won't be in Indiana.)
Rubbing on the paint is not cool but, I'll come up with something there. I did some trimming already but I think I may use some of that clear film on the paint under it. Either that or foam on the vinyl.
Getting in and out isn't for the less than limber person but, not terrible. If I were to make another, and I probably will at some point, I would make it from a single piece of vinyl and cut the "doors" in more like "gull wing doors". It would make ingress and egress MUCH easier. I would also sew strips on the forward side of the zipper to shed the rain and then another thin strip on the rear side of the zipper to then not let the water back up into the zipper. (Make sense?)
Well, there ya have it. With this and a seat heater I'm hoping this trip across U.S. 50 to Cali., and then down to Pismo will be somewhat bearable. 😳😆
Wish me luck!!!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

P.S. I have several more pix if interested. It will only let me up load one ata time so I'll only put out more if anyone is interested.
Thanks.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2023 5:13 am    Post subject: Re: My new clear top. Reply with quote

Very interesting!

Having done many miles in an open Buggy we find that the rain is not that much of an issue. The windshield deflects nearly all of it up and over us as long as you are moving. In a really heavy downpour though the back of the windshield gets a fine mist and needs wipers. We carry a small squeegee and whoever is in the passenger seat keeps that clear. You can still get a shot of spray when meeting big trucks though. We wear motorcycle rain suits for the stray moisture and if the quality is decent you come out surprisingly dry. There is a little river that runs down the inside of the body between the bottom corner of the windshield and the body. If you are in the habit of resting your knee right there... it will soak your pant leg!

Your set up should work awesome for rain. It should still give you that open car view I love so much!

The real value I see in it for me is in wind reduction. As much as I love the open Buggy the wind does get to me on a long journey. After about 3 or 4 hours it gets old. I have started to wear ear plugs or my ears ring after we stop, not at all from the engine note, the wind is much louder! The wind also burns your skin. After many hours in the wind you come out red like a lobster and it is not all because of the sun. Long sleeved shirts and full length pants help a lot but your face still takes a beating. Strong cross winds are the worse. I now fully understand the gear that the bikers wear!

Here is a photo of me driving in the rain and believe it or not I was actually quite dry! My wife took this picture while following.

Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2023 6:36 am    Post subject: Re: My new clear top. Reply with quote

On a warm sunny day the clear top is going to be like you being is a solar oven.... Be prepared to peel it off....

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
Skulptorchaz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2023 7:33 am    Post subject: Re: My new clear top. Reply with quote

OPRN, yep, you totally understand. I've also had a Harley since 1979 and did MANY trips. One was 6 1/2 weeks. I tried to blend all the good features but nothing is perfect.

Dale, and that is why I wanted a soft clear top. The old '60s hard clear bubbles on custom cars are not very versatile. This one has (probably too much) good air flow via the openness of the front and the gaps I have in the back curtain. When that isn't enough, I can unzip the sides and throw them in the back, and if it is still too hot, I can easily take off the top, roll it up and throw it in the back as well. If it were a hard top, yeah, that would not be as convenient.
It's amazing how many people keep saying "Greenhouse effect, greenhouse effect, greenhouse effect'' well, I keep saying "warm and dry, warm and dry warm and dry". Very Happy I now have an almost 4 season, reasonably comfortable and mostly dry fun vehicle that I love to drive. I may now even look forward to snow this winter to play in.............OK, probably not "look forward to" but, if we get some, I can play. Smile
I might do a thread of my trip.... (?)

Have a good one guys!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2023 8:59 am    Post subject: Re: My new clear top. Reply with quote

Skulptorchaz wrote:
I might do a thread of my trip.... (?)

Yes! Please do!
Skulptorchaz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2023 10:24 am    Post subject: Re: My new clear top. Reply with quote

I guess do it in this section? There isn't a section on "trips" that I've seen.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2023 3:53 pm    Post subject: Re: My new clear top. Reply with quote

Yes. When I first joined this site I also spotted this glaring deficiency and thought perhaps Clonebug had started one with one of his threads so I joined in. Mistake! He did not appreciate that at all so I backed off. Now I just post a few pictures in a thread of my own.

A few others have posted their own travel threads but they are scattered around and hard to find. I have come to the conclusion that those of us that actually DRIVE our cars places are few and far between on this site.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: