Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Realistic Prices?
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
JoshSnow1973
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2023 12:40 am    Post subject: Realistic Prices? Reply with quote

Hello All!
I've been lurking for quite a while...getting close to making some major moves.

Specifically, I am looking for a 1973 Type 181. My Wife's 50th is coming up this year and she has always wanted a Thing.

Want to know what is a realistic price to pay for a car that is titled, mechanically straight ( or close to it)and not totally FUBAR'ed

Facebook Marketplace, Craigslist, here on The Samba, and other searches are not providing any kind of consistent baseline for pricing . Prices and condition seem to vary wildly.

I have a broad skill set, both mechanical and autobody. I am not opposed to some work, just don' want a full on salvage case.

So what should I pay? and do any of you have leads on something promising?
Semper_Dad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2023 6:05 am    Post subject: Re: Realistic Prices? Reply with quote

Unless you want a complete restored Acapulco, I think what you are looking for is in the range of $15-20K.

This would be for complete, good running, rust free, and no major issues that can't be corrected by your average garage level mechanic. Something you can drive safely and have fun with from the first day.

Sure, you can find a car in the 10-15K range but it may have some issues. 20-25K range cars will need to justify that premium. I think 40K for a mint restored Acapulco is the furthest I'd could justify.

Keep in mind, "Custom" cars are just that,"Custom". They have features that may appeal to the current owner. For me, They have to justify any premium as well. There's a point when a 181 stops being a 181 and becomes some else with 181 features. Embrace the 181 (Things) original oddities.

I was lucky when I bought my 181 some 13 years ago. I purchased my relatively stock, mechanically sound, rust free and complete from another 181 enthusiast for $6500 (in 2010). No major issues or expenses up until an engine fire several years ago. Spent the next year in a total "body on" restoration (as well as 15K) to get it back to where it is today. I'd be hard pressed to accept anything less than 25K today but that includes a "sentimental attachment" to which no one pays mind to.

Good luck in your quest.
CraigInPA
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2023 7:49 am    Post subject: Re: Realistic Prices? Reply with quote

I personally believe that the Thing is probably one of the most "customized" cars ever made. When new, there were three options for striping (none, strobe, "the thing"), 4 or 5 colors, options for a hard top, Acapulco, and it got wilder from there... Spare tire holders (front or rear), guards for the head and tail lights, bikini tops, many different colors for tops, sliding windows to replace the plastic drop in windows, shift levers, upgraded engines, Subaru engines, Porsche engines, any color under the sun exteriors, different options for seat upholstery (or the seats themselves), chrome gas caps, different bumpers, etc...

If you want rare, you'll look for one that ISN'T modified. That's going to be more expensive than a lightly modified car, and sometimes more than a heavily modified car.

If you want one you can enjoy right away, I think you're probably looking at $15k now. If you want a project, you can probably find something solid for $8-10k, depending upon how much it needs.
Deckard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2023 12:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Realistic Prices? Reply with quote

You are probably going to get the best prices on Facebook Marketplace. There's a 'sticky' on this site that tells you what to look for when buying one. Things (pun intended) like a working windshield wiper motor, windshield frame, working gas heater, and stock engine fan shroud are very expensive to replace, since there are no after-market suppliers. You can find repro top frames and window frames but be prepared to pay top dollar. The original '73 exhaust system pipes exit through the rear bumper. Some repro ones have this feature, while others do not.

My '73 was a a failed custom project, and in the pre-internet days it took me forever to find the correct seats, engine and engine tin, air cleaner, and other bits. The previous owner has also chromed the bumpers, which I took back to stock.
Joe 20
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2023 7:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Realistic Prices? Reply with quote

Check the sticky above and pay what you are comfortable paying. There really is no answer to your question. It has been asked a bunch of times before. In Central California you should be able to find a rust free one fairly easy...good luck.
carsdlt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2023 9:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Realistic Prices? Reply with quote

Also very important ...she wants it but can she DRIVE it? My wife likes our Thing but is too spoiled by 40 years of power steering, power brakes and hydrolic clutches. Likes to ride in it but HATES to drive it 😜😝

"If it works, don't fix it....let it break on its own."
germansupplyscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2023 11:36 am    Post subject: Re: Realistic Prices? Reply with quote

JoshSnow1973 wrote:
My Wife's 50th is coming up this year and she has always wanted a Thing.

Good for you! The Thing I call mine is actually a car I bought and restored for my wife. She LOVES it in every way!

I don't think there are any useful benchmarks for prices of a vintage car. Way too many variables. Is it original? How original? Paint, engine, and on and on. Mileage? Condition from 1-5? (with 1 being restored, 5 being project or 5+ being basketcase) How many owners has the car had? Where do you live? (can affect selling price a lot). Etc. For me the price has more to do with what you can afford to pay, then you get a car that is either a 1 or a 3 or a 5.

Bring a Trailer is good for comparing prices of let's call them 'nicer cars'. You can see with this scatter plot that most decent Things are between 15-25K. The $52K car is not very nice IMO, not sure how that one sold for so much.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: