Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Prototype & 1950 Details
Forum Index -> Split Bus - Barndoor Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Scotty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2023 5:18 am    Post subject: Prototype & 1950 Details Reply with quote

Looking at the very earliest official literature, you can see there are various details that didn't make it in to production. The prototype buses definitely looked quite different from production buses.

However, looking at some of the pictures I wondered if a few of the details ever made it on to production vehicles.

The earliest brochures from 1950 show pictures of the prototype buses, and it is a picture of the interior that got me wondering:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The right hand picture shows the bulkhead with some pre-production grab handles (and vertical ribs going all the way to the bottom of the panel), and only just visible is a vertical rib on the cab door panel.

A similar photo from a slightly later brochure:

This time the grab handles look different, but not like the grab handles fitted to most barndoors. The vertical ribs now stop at the top of the rubber kick panel, but the vertical rib is still visible on the cab door panel.

This photo looks to be from a production bus (rather than a prototype) as the seats look correct, as does the floor mat etc. But I have never seen those grab handles before, or cab door panels with that vertical rib. Has anyone else seen a bus with those features, or were they re-designed before buses were sold?

I'd be curious to know the length of his tip.

http://scottys-stuff.blogspot.com/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RockStock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2023 1:27 am    Post subject: Re: Prototype & 1950 Details Reply with quote

If this is the factory runabout 20-0010, it suggests the door panel rib didn’t make it
Brezelmeister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2023 4:36 am    Post subject: Re: Prototype & 1950 Details Reply with quote

First of all itīs not uncommon that brochures and manuals differ from real production cars as they print many months before cars were actually built.

Also if you look at the photo of what could be 20-0010 photo is probably taken 1953 or later. First of all itīs pretty worn, seat and steering column etc.
It also has later style gear knob and chromed metal ashtray.
Looks like it also has steering lock.

With that said factory prototypes and rolling "test-beds" are often changed over time so door cards could actually have been changed a few times.
Scotty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2023 4:49 am    Post subject: Re: Prototype & 1950 Details Reply with quote

20-0010 is a panel van right? so would never have had fancy door panels anyway.

I'm assuming the differences I've highlighted never made it onto production vehicles, but you never know.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bubba
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2023 6:54 am    Post subject: Re: Prototype & 1950 Details Reply with quote

Scotty wrote:
Looking at the very earliest official literature, you can see there are various details that didn't make it in to production. The prototype buses definitely looked quite different from production buses.

However, looking at some of the pictures I wondered if a few of the details ever made it on to production vehicles.

The earliest brochures from 1950 show pictures of the prototype buses, and it is a picture of the interior that got me wondering:

The right hand picture shows the bulkhead with some pre-production grab handles (and vertical ribs going all the way to the bottom of the panel), and only just visible is a vertical rib on the cab door panel.

A similar photo from a slightly later brochure:

This time the grab handles look different, but not like the grab handles fitted to most barndoors. The vertical ribs now stop at the top of the rubber kick panel, but the vertical rib is still visible on the cab door panel.

This photo looks to be from a production bus (rather than a prototype) as the seats look correct, as does the floor mat etc. But I have never seen those grab handles before, or cab door panels with that vertical rib. Has anyone else seen a bus with those features, or were they re-designed before buses were sold?

WOW, I have never seen this picture before. Check out the seats! The middle seat is definitely a modified Split bug seat. The backrest even curves like early split along with the arch support for the flip action. The other thing i noticed is the way the rear seat bolts to the floor. Super cool! thanks for sharing. Cool
curtain Bungee cords for SO23, 22, 33 ,34 ,35
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1587591
finster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2023 2:48 am    Post subject: Re: Prototype & 1950 Details Reply with quote

I would guess that the grab handles are probably ones used on various buses (from other manufacturers) at that time and readily available. the design in the prototype phase was obviously going through revisions and improvements.
the vertical trim pleats going below the kick panel do not make much sense and I'm not surprised that changed. not only would the trim get scuffed but the shorter length of material per bus would cut costs.

nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect...
Who.Me? Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2023 12:51 am    Post subject: Re: Prototype & 1950 Details Reply with quote

Maybe the pleats were design cues taken from split window beetles?

Looking for info on my truck's history. Are you from Campbell California or nearby. Do you recognise it? ... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=636786
Undis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2023 12:58 am    Post subject: Re: Prototype & 1950 Details Reply with quote

Such a great thread. I'm currently building a scale model of Number 1. In the process I've been studying the details. Thanks for posting a photo of the interior of Number 10. I note that in the photo it has a window wiper on the passenger side. This must have been retrofitted as the period photos of other prototypes had only one wiper, or was this originally like that on the last one? Another thing is the fuse box on the left of the pod. As far as I've seen the fuses were on the right side of the pod. Another observation is the panel that covers the inside of the nose here is in two pieces as on later production buses, however the earlier prototypes had it in one piece.
finster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2023 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: Prototype & 1950 Details Reply with quote

looking forward to seeing the end result undis, what kit are you basing it on?

Undis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2023 9:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Prototype & 1950 Details Reply with quote

finster wrote:
looking forward to seeing the end result undis, what kit are you basing it on?

I'm using Revell 1:16 Panel van kit as a starting point, however about half of it, including the entire chassis, is scratch built. You can see my album on Facebook here.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10229277835637473&type=3
finster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2023 3:18 am    Post subject: Re: Prototype & 1950 Details Reply with quote

thanks, you have been busy! Applause

Scotty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2023 4:51 am    Post subject: Re: Prototype & 1950 Details Reply with quote

Undis wrote:
Such a great thread. I'm currently building a scale model of Number 1. In the process I've been studying the details. Thanks for posting a photo of the interior of Number 10. I note that in the photo it has a window wiper on the passenger side. This must have been retrofitted as the period photos of other prototypes had only one wiper, or was this originally like that on the last one? Another thing is the fuse box on the left of the pod. As far as I've seen the fuses were on the right side of the pod. Another observation is the panel that covers the inside of the nose here is in two pieces as on later production buses, however the earlier prototypes had it in one piece.

No 10 is a production model, which is different from the prototypes in lots of ways. I'm sure there is a thread detailing all the differences.

Early barndoors have a fuse box on each side of the dash pod.

Undis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2023 6:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Prototype & 1950 Details Reply with quote

Scotty wrote:

Thank you for your answer. So the first prototypes had fuse boxes on both sides as well?
Scotty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2023 5:09 am    Post subject: Re: Prototype & 1950 Details Reply with quote

Undis wrote:
Scotty wrote:

Thank you for your answer. So the first prototypes had fuse boxes on both sides as well?

I guess they would have, but I don't know for sure.

Lots of Prototype pics and info here: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=610163&highlight=prototype

Undis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2023 10:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Prototype & 1950 Details Reply with quote

Thanks Scotty,

I've read that thread several times. Some great info in there. Unfortunately, it has lost its mojo somewhat.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus - Barndoor All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: