Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Buggy colors
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  

Is blue for you?
anything else but blue
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
bright colors only
66%
 66%  [ 12 ]
other
33%
 33%  [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 18

EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2023 4:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Buggy colors Reply with quote

As much as I love metalflake it’s easier for the home builder to shoot solid colors. My first buggy had seen its years quickly, born in metallic purple it was painted dark metallic blue TWICE. Around those owner choices it was also a bright nonmetallic blue and metallic ruby red. I sanded a lot of old finishes off to repait it solid bright purple — in my 1 car garage from my first place in 1992.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

YDBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2023 9:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Buggy colors Reply with quote

Doesn't really matter...owned two buggies

My Dad's was a green metal flake, not my favorite color, but still looked good, he repainted it yellow and it still is even with an in between back to green wrap.

My other one was flat white and rattle canned for years before painting it cobalt blue

It's your own flavor of fun.
'64 baja
'60 dune buggy
'73 Personenkraftwagen Type 182 "Thing"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2023 4:28 am    Post subject: Re: Buggy colors Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
oprn wrote:
I too am very fond of metal flake in any color. It doesn't come in yellow though...

Huh?

Close Glen but it still looks more gold to me than yellow. Maybe not in person?
Don&Gonzo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2023 7:24 am    Post subject: Re: Buggy colors Reply with quote

The point is to get people to look at you right?
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2023 8:33 am    Post subject: Re: Buggy colors Reply with quote

True, not only for the fact that we are driving something different but also for safety. We are pretty vulnerable in these cars.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2023 9:40 am    Post subject: Re: Buggy colors Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
True, not only for the fact that we are driving something different but also for safety. We are pretty vulnerable in these cars.

Not sure how i'd feel, driving the interstate surrounded by large SUVs.

You'd be nothing more than a speed bump.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2023 9:56 am    Post subject: Re: Buggy colors Reply with quote

Mind over matter. (If you don't mind dying it don't matter.) No different really than a motorcycle. That's the mindset I take anyway. Color is one of the arrows in our quiver to combat that disadvantage.
jspbtown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2023 1:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Buggy colors Reply with quote

I've done blue, yellow, orange.

Luftwagen 2180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2023 3:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Buggy colors Reply with quote

I started out with a green/gold metal flake. It was the colour that the guy who bought it chose. It grew on me. That was 51 years ago. A little over 20 years ago an evil Camaro pulled out in front of me and cracked the tub. Berrien wasn't making metal flake at the time so solid was the only option. The (ex)wife voted for red but the kids and I voted for the green. Now they make flake again, but switching bodies...…? However I've noticed that blue really seems to be a common colour. I'm tired of it myself.

oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2023 4:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Buggy colors Reply with quote

There is the bright green one I was talking about earlier! Thanks!

Years ago blue was the #1 color choice on cars, then it shifted to white was #1 and blue slipped back to #2. I have no idea what the present color preferences are. We just went through the "color blind faze" in the mod 2000's up to about 4 years ago when every vehicle on the road and dealership lots were white, black or gray.

Thank God we are past that!! Chrysler and especially Jeep seemed to head the shift in that welcome change. I am feeling like I have normal vision again!
MrGoodtunes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2023 10:13 am    Post subject: Re: Buggy colors Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
... every vehicle on the road and dealership lots were white, black or gray.

Thank God we are past that!! ...

Amen. Any vehicle looks better in bright color, bike, trike, truck, trailer, or VW:

I still prefer primer gray for my KIT car to fulfil its fundamental principle of being "easy to take apart and re-assenble" (for paint, it means "easy to sand and re-spray").
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2023 4:35 am    Post subject: Re: Buggy colors Reply with quote

Years ago the paint on the roof of my Audi Fox was cracking and flaking off so I stripped it and painted it with grey primer. In about 3 years the whole thing had rust seeping through. That was when I realized that primer was a bit like a sponge. Not water proof at all. On fiberglass it would not be apparent. It also goes chalky real bad but again grey primer is already kind of chalky colored so not an issue for you.

Back in the mid 70's I repainted my sister's type3 wagon and I wanted a chocolate brown. It turns out that red oxide primer was the exact color I was after. When I was done the bodywork I sprayed a coat of red oxide primer over the whole thing, sprayed on the graphics in gold and red pearl and gold metal flake inserts on the sides then just clear coated the whole car. It lasted for many years and the color of the primer never even faded! Looking at it you would never know that the brown was not a top coat.
Dangib
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2023 9:18 am    Post subject: Re: Buggy colors Reply with quote

Ive had an orange, black and now blue buggy Loved the orange, the black was so lame I sold the body and bought a new acme blue body. But ya blue is lame lol the flake is so deep you get lost in it
jsturtlebuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2023 12:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Buggy colors Reply with quote

Orange metal flake, great color, but has become to popular since I did mine in 2010.
Motion Tire Motorsports
Having fun with Dune Buggies since 1970
Into Volkswagens since 1960
Dangib
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2023 4:43 am    Post subject: Re: Buggy colors Reply with quote

jsturtlebuggy wrote:

Orange metal flake, great color, but has become to popular since I did mine in 2010.

Wow what a great pic
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2023 9:16 am    Post subject: Re: Buggy colors Reply with quote

SBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2023 9:18 am    Post subject: Re: Buggy colors Reply with quote

vwracerdave wrote:
I personally can not stand any vehicle painted green. Ever since I was a littlre kid I always hated green cars. Any brand or model green cars are just ugly.

Green is my favorite color. 😁

mark tucker wrote:
I wouldent waste $ or thyme on building a small motor. build it big so it dosent have to work hard.remember it's only as fast as your foot alows it to be unless you build a small turd then it just stinks as it squishes up through your toes when you step on it.
isucorvair
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2023 10:26 am    Post subject: Re: Buggy colors Reply with quote

The WORST part about my Manx 1 is that it was originally 15E Blue!

I want to keep the original (though worn) gelcoat...so I'm not changing it, and it took me forever to find a real Manx body....but still. Blue.

Eric P.
DeWitt, IA
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: