Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

2003 Mexican bug wheel offset
Forum Index -> Custom Wheel/Tire Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
designer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2023 10:15 pm    Post subject: 2003 Mexican bug wheel offset Reply with quote

My son wants to put new wheels on his bug. 2003 that looks like a 65 I think. It’s titled as a 65. Brake shop couldn’t deal with it and fix the brakes so we have to order them from Germany is what I’ve discovered. Anyways nothing is as it seems with this ride.

Does anybody know the proper wheel offset or even if there are available options for new wheel for this ride.

Thanks!

"It is that annoying, accelerating downhill so I can make it up the next hill in the same gear. Foot to floor hoping I can get out of the way of other cars getting onto the highway." - somebody on here around 2013.
clockworkbox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2023 9:17 am    Post subject: Re: 2003 Mexican bug wheel offset Reply with quote

Is it a wide 5 bolt pattern? 65 would be a wide 5... A 2003 Mexican Beetle should have a 4x130 bolt pattern with a 18-22 offset. If you have the wide 5 bolt pattern, a PO may have swapped out the stock 4 lug setup for the popular 5 lug. Lots of wheel options either way. Do you have a picture?

https://www.wheel-size.com/size/volkswagen/beetle/mk2-1985-2003/
designer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2023 12:39 pm    Post subject: Re: 2003 Mexican bug wheel offset Reply with quote

thanks for the help!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

in all it's glory ...

"It is that annoying, accelerating downhill so I can make it up the next hill in the same gear. Foot to floor hoping I can get out of the way of other cars getting onto the highway." - somebody on here around 2013.
clockworkbox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2023 12:57 pm    Post subject: Re: 2003 Mexican bug wheel offset Reply with quote

The ET is stamped 34 on the wheel and the bolt pattern is 4x130. I think it is a 15x4.5 standard VW wheel... you have a ton of wheel choices. I have Empi BRMs because they came with my car but if I was in the market for wheels I would check out Mobelwagen. Not sure why they said you needed brake parts from Germany, your local auto parts store should be able to get anything you need.

https://mobelwagen.com/collections/frontpage
designer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2023 1:46 pm    Post subject: Re: 2003 Mexican bug wheel offset Reply with quote

Yep, sure is. didn't think to look there!

Thanks for the tip on places to look!

Root_Werks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2024 12:00 pm    Post subject: Re: 2003 Mexican bug wheel offset Reply with quote

If your 2003 retained the actual 2003 ball-joint beam and brakes, it's a bit different then a US-Spec Bug.

You should have disc brakes up front with hub and brake hat. Track from the Owners manual should be 1322mm.

Here's a decent thread to look into:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=777577&start=40

It's about drop spindles, but I posted pictures of my 2003 Mexi-Bug front brakes etc. Should help you determine what you have on your 2003.

-Dan
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Custom Wheel/Tire All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: