Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Super Beetle steering shaft
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vanderjw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2023 4:52 am    Post subject: Super Beetle steering shaft Reply with quote

I got a super beetle double u joint shaft thinking its going to connect to either the rag joint coupler or steering box. It doesn't fit on either. I could not find a listing for a super beetle specific rag joint coupler that I'm thinking is a solution. It seems this is a common buggy steering configuration but I'm stuck at the moment.
I have a Speedway 30" GM style column that's got a 3/4-36 spline to a Sweet 3/4-36 to 5/8 smooth u joint. I was going to cut the super beetle shaft and turn down the shaft to a press fit then weld it. then that shaft with the remaining u joint to the male rag joint coupler , install rubber piece , then female coupler on steering box shaft. Done.
Any ideas?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MrGoodtunes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2023 9:23 am    Post subject: Re: Super Beetle steering shaft Reply with quote

vanderjw wrote:
... I could not find a listing for a super beetle specific rag joint coupler ...

Based on the following exploded view at Wolfsburg West, Super Beetle didn't have a rag joint?? But I seem to recall specifically using a Super Beetle rag joint flange, tho this was back in the late 1980s, so over 3 decades ago and at the time I was picking from a whole row of various Beetles.

https://www.wolfsburgwest.com/wolfsburg_new/front_axle/front_super_bug/front_super_beetle.cfm
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vanderjw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2023 11:36 am    Post subject: Re: Super Beetle steering shaft Reply with quote

I got the 3/4-36 u joint today. I think if i eliminate the rag joint I can go from the steering box shaft with an additional u joint and a short section of rod to the upper joint. QUESTION, is the steering box shaft metric or will a 5/8-36 fit tightly on there?
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2023 1:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Super Beetle steering shaft Reply with quote

The stock steering box is the same as the stock steering rag joint coupler, 16mm (0.630 inch).
vanderjw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2023 3:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Super Beetle steering shaft Reply with quote

Thanks, I'm only .005 off that will work. I will post pics and a parts list when I'm finished.

"No parts of the super Beetle steering shaft were harmed" or even used...I'm sending it back.
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2023 3:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Super Beetle steering shaft Reply with quote

vanderjw wrote:
Thanks, I'm only .005 off that will work. I will post pics and a parts list when I'm finished.

"No parts of the super Beetle steering shaft were harmed" or even used...I'm sending it back.

Please do. (and explain how) I’ve been told this works but it didn't when I tried! It seems splines are measured (both male and female) by their maximum diameter, so the ID is well under 16mm.

On my buggy I rotated the steering box down a little to line up the column. Now the long tie rod is the suspension stop for the right side. Not by much, it is on the rubber cone too, but not ideal.
vanderjw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2023 11:06 am    Post subject: Re: Super Beetle steering shaft Reply with quote

[quote="vanderjw"]Thanks, I'm only .005 off that will work. I will post pics and a parts list when I'm finished.
EDITED
Got the parts. It will work. I've spread out the u joint end and it slipped in the steering box shaft tightly. I put in the pinch bolt which tightened securely, but barely fit and rolled the threads as it passed over the flat on the steering shaft.

-vw beetle steering box
-to an EMPI 5/8-36 x 5/8-36 u joint
-to an empi splined on one end 5/8-36 cut to length shaft
-to a Sweet Mfg round 5/8 weld end x 3/4-36 splined u joint
-to a Jegs GM style stainless steering column.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: