Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Plumber pricing
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2023 8:04 am    Post subject: Re: Plumber pricing Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Applies to auto repair rates.
I saw this on a shop wall years ago. Lol
jinx758
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2023 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: Plumber pricing Reply with quote

Crawl spaces ... suck !
As a former plumber and HVAC person I've been in many.

What really bites is swapping out a 50gal water heater in an attic.
What a total P. I. T. A.

"I'm takin what they're given cause I'm workin for a livin."
- Huey Lewis and The News

Keepin it real ... stay safe

jinx

It's not unlike the same difference

You can't push a rope

VALVES (cold)
CARB (fully warmed engine)

SCRAPE ALL GROUNDS

My Craigslist rescued 100 footer :
1971 Standard Bug
1776cc dual port
034 distributor
38mm EGAS Carburetor
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2023 11:11 am    Post subject: Re: Plumber pricing Reply with quote

chrisflstf wrote:
Tankless water heaters. Way better than tank type

Only if you're short on space. Otherwise, no thanks. Seen too many of them fail early, and cause long wait times to get hot water.

Also, I much prefer to have 50 gallons of fresh water on hand at all times.
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2023 1:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Plumber pricing Reply with quote

What I’m about to say may not be true in everyone’s experiences. Just something to consider.

When I need to use a plumber or electrician for something I can’t do or willing to do. The products professionals use seem of better quality then what I would buy at a big box store. People that I know who do plumbing and electrical work don’t want their reputation tarnished with crappy products or products that make the techs job more difficult.

Same reason some ACVW shops closed because the junk parts available, make it difficult or perhaps unreliable.

Also what part of the country you live in will add to the cost of labor and parts. As mentioned parts mark up is part of the business.

Sometimes a part you buy at a big box store isn’t built the same as a product at a specialty retailer even though it looks the same.

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2023 4:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Plumber pricing Reply with quote

Xevin wrote:
What I’m about to say may not be true in everyone’s experiences. Just something to consider.

When I need to use a plumber or electrician for something I can’t do or willing to do. The products professionals use seem of better quality then what I would buy at a big box store. People that I know who do plumbing and electrical work don’t want their reputation tarnished with crappy products or products that make the techs job more difficult.

Same reason some ACVW shops closed because the junk parts available, make it difficult or perhaps unreliable.

Also what part of the country you live in will add to the cost of labor and parts. As mentioned parts mark up is part of the business.

Sometimes a part you buy at a big box store isn’t built the same as a product at a specialty retailer even though it looks the same.

100% truth. A reputable contractor will generally refuse to install box store fixtures. They are generally sub par in comparison to the stuff bought through a plumbing supply house. Professionals would prefer not to deal with warranty work for crappy stuff from Home Depot.

One plumber we used to use for our houses was asked to install two toilets and a shower purchased online by the homeowner, without asking my boss (the general contractor). When the dust settled, we were there just long enough to close in the house. Someone else finished the project without us or that plumber on the job. Boss was not happy for the guy to have gone behind his back, and the plumber would have refused to install the stuff anyway.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2023 5:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Plumber pricing Reply with quote

Xevin wrote:

Not specifically related to plumbing but Yes, often things are produced in dedicated batches for a specific big box retailer, often with different model number(s).

They use different model numbers so you can't price compare.

It may or may not be lower quality.
I know Costco for one does this but depending on what it is, I don't think it's necessarily lower quality there.

I agree that most everything at Home Depot, etc. is often lower quality though than a dedicated industry place.

On the original topic:
The plumbing stuff I've had done here everything was an installed price.
I don't remember anything ever changing unless there was some huge unknown issue.
I assume they looked at it and knew exactly how long it would take in hours to do the job.
It always seemed cheap to me as I know the hourly can be $100+/hour so I never questioned prices.
Maybe that makes me either a dumb or an easy customer or both... whatever.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
madmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2023 7:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Plumber pricing Reply with quote

My cuz the plumber told a guy after he bitched about how long it took him to fix/repair something ,,"You also pay me for what I know" not how long it takes me to do it,, or something like that,,, Wink
76 Drag/Street bug 2180cc 'Turbo' 11:85 @113 mph"If I go any faster I'll burn up the Hamster" ,gets 28 mpg. also 10/09/22 11.90 @115 mph
"If I'm ever on Life Support,UNPLUG Me, Then Plug me back In see if that Works"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2023 10:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Plumber pricing Reply with quote

madmike wrote:
My cuz the plumber told a guy after he bitched about how long it took him to fix/repair something ,,"You also pay me for what I know" not how long it takes me to do it,, or something like that,,, Wink

Yes, it's the old legend of:
"It's $1 to fix it, $100 to know how to fix it. Total: $101."
Very Happy

One anecdote
Quote:
Legend has it that Nikola Tesla visited Henry Ford’s factory when Ford was having some sort of trouble. He asked for Tesla’s help to identify the problem. Tesla proceeded to walk over and chalked a small X on one of the boilerplates.

Ford was grateful and told him to send an invoice. When the invoice arrived, Ford was shocked at the $10,000 bill and asked how such a small task could cost that much.

Tesla responded with a detailed breakdown showing “Marking an X” listed at $1 and “Knowing where to put the mark” at $9,999. Needless to say, Ford paid the bill.

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: