Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1954 oval
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2022 8:18 pm    Post subject: Re: 1954 oval Reply with quote

BBursell wrote:
VW_Jimbo wrote:
Yep. Par for the course! Make your adjustments. Tack the pan in and set the body down on there. Ought to work a treat! Then onto the other side! You are making good progress!

Thanks Jim!

My cunning plan is something like that. But I have to tack in both pans before tackling the heater channels. The only remains of the heater channels bottoms is the nut plate for the right hand side channel. only the top 2/3 part of the heater channels remains and that part is in very good shape so I guess the body integrity is still ok. Doors are quite ok, only the drivers door hinge pins will need work. Strangely enough, this car never had outside mirrors. It looks clean but I'm not shure I'd dare that so I'm debating myself over hinge pin options..

You are welcome! I had to replace a door hinge pin. Not a fun interaction. Ended up reducing the elliptical pinhole and boring it oversize. Virtenan sells oversize pins and rivits if needed. Amazon has reamers, if you cannot get one easily. I found it easier to remove the hinge from the door.

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
BBursell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2022 12:55 pm    Post subject: Re: 1954 oval Reply with quote

Bonus comb!

Found this when I took the defroster tube out today. Sad to say I don't have much use of a comb nowadays..

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
BBursell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2023 12:22 am    Post subject: Re: 1954 oval Reply with quote

No post for long time, but things are happening at least. body is at a spa bath at the moment (paint and rust strip)

BBursell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2023 11:09 pm    Post subject: Re: 1954 oval Reply with quote

So the body is back from the spa bath!

the acid (citric acid was used) is neutralized and it was then dipped i a rust protection bath (a solution of some sort of ethanol amine as i understand)

Detail pictures below. lets the welding begin...

lardawge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2023 6:27 am    Post subject: Re: 1954 oval Reply with quote

That looks like an amazing starting point. The hood and decklid look like they need very little work.

Regarding the dipping, how long do they claim the protective coating will last? My main concern would be all the areas you can’t paint. Dipping would probably be my first choice if it was readily available here in CA and there was some lasting effect with the protective coating, I wish they could primer dip it after dipping. That would be the ultimate.
BBursell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2023 11:11 am    Post subject: Re: 1954 oval Reply with quote

lardawge wrote:
That looks like an amazing starting point. The hood and decklid look like they need very little work.

Regarding the dipping, how long do they claim the protective coating will last? My main concern would be all the areas you can’t paint. Dipping would probably be my first choice if it was readily available here in CA and there was some lasting effect with the protective coating, I wish they could primer dip it after dipping. That would be the ultimate.

Yes, the hood is in remarkable condition except the front part that has been dented (no cracks or anything, same with the engine cover except for a matching dent)

They say that as long as it is in a dry place its ok for at least 6 weeks. Water will rinse it off at once. Plan A is to do a coat of epoxy after welding is done. Plan B is as soon as i have cooperating weather and time.
BBursell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2023 2:52 am    Post subject: Re: 1954 oval Reply with quote

So, started the welding of new metal parts to this car.. First job is the drivers side A-pillar. he old one was not solidly connected to the rotted out heater channel and had sunk a bit into it as can be seen from the following two pictures that i took when i got the car home.

So, some parts then. Virtanen to the rescue this time. the generic up to -62 a-pillar parts that are avaliable from various places will not fit at all, they are completely different.

First the reinforcement piece is welded in, the door hinge jig is avaliable from Virtanen as well.. The piece i spotted to the heather channel is to keep the pillar follow a straight line front to back.

Then it is time for the outer shell to be welded.

Result after some grinding, i plan to do the tiny spotwelds with a tig torch later.
BBursell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2023 11:41 am    Post subject: Re: 1954 oval Reply with quote

Took a long time, but welding has restarted after a long pause. The back part of the left front wheel arch is done!

VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2023 11:03 pm    Post subject: Re: 1954 oval Reply with quote

Nice work! I do not envy you on the welding at the fender nut line. That one always shrinks and demanded tapping, no, BEATING to get the panel back out! Yours came out looking great!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
BBursell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2023 9:32 am    Post subject: Re: 1954 oval Reply with quote

VW_Jimbo wrote:
Nice work! I do not envy you on the welding at the fender nut line. That one always shrinks and demanded tapping, no, BEATING to get the panel back out! Yours came out looking great!

It will need more than a gentle nudge to get into shape...
tehillah1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2023 1:08 pm    Post subject: Re: 1954 oval Reply with quote

I'm glad you posted this up...I have to do the bottom of the a-pillar up a little past the lower fender hole. I've been avoiding this cut as I know getting the shape back correctly after welding seems tricky. Nice job getting all those lines working.
How did you open/close up the pinch joint at the bottom of the a-pillar?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BBursell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2023 5:02 am    Post subject: Re: 1954 oval Reply with quote

tehillah1 wrote:
I'm glad you posted this up...I have to do the bottom of the a-pillar up a little past the lower fender hole. I've been avoiding this cut as I know getting the shape back correctly after welding seems tricky. Nice job getting all those lines working.
How did you open/close up the pinch joint at the bottom of the a-pillar?

I just had to close it, the bottom part of the pillar is a new, unpinched part. I used a big F plier..
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: