Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

July 50 standard found
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
SMUNNY66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2023 10:46 am    Post subject: July 50 standard found Reply with quote

Hello all. I’ve been a member on here for some time but this is my first forum post. I have recently found and acquired a July 50 standard body, sitting on a 63 pan. Unfortunately the pan, doors, hood and deck lid are wrong, the car does still retain the correct rear view mirror, hood hinges, hood prop, gas tank, gas cap, correct big spring on the deck lid, hood handle, dome light housing, speedo and pod, the block off pod has had a hole cut in it and a 61 Porsche tach installed. After cleaning the car out, it was full of leaves, dirt and debris, that is where I found the dome light housing on the floor, I found a chrome grooved door handle and the original doors check straps. The dash still has its original semaphore switch and the push start switch. The speedo is a moles speedo, but the backing is zinc and dated 7-59, so I am guessing it was a dealer replacement. I will share some pictures below and take some more and share when I get the chance. I have applied for a birth certificate, I am hoping that this comes back as a Hoffman car, if so it looks like it would be the oldest standard on the registry And the second oldest car on the list in general, but we will have to wait to find out when the certificate comes back. The vin is 1-0180328.
finster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2023 2:02 am    Post subject: Re: July 50 standard found Reply with quote

looking forward to seeing the photos Cool

nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect...
50Splitman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2023 8:03 am    Post subject: Re: July 50 standard found Reply with quote

Is your split the one that was listed recently in Facebook Marketplace for $2500 as a "49 split hardtop beetle" in Southern Maryland?

If so, I talked to the owner but never went over to see it as it was clear it was a 63 with pretty much every body part except the oval era decklid replaced from a post-oval era beetle. He never provided the body number/VIN, but given some of the pics, it looked like a 50 vs. 49.

Congrats if this is the one I'm describing, and look forward to know how rusty it is, the production date, and if it it a Hoffman. My 50 standard split is a Hoffman with VIN 01797XX. I haven't entered it the registry, but plan to do so.
makin_vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2023 4:34 pm    Post subject: Re: July 50 standard found Reply with quote

look forward to seeing what the certificate says.. and photos of the car!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Two Glove Boxes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2023 2:41 pm    Post subject: Re: July 50 standard found Reply with quote

👀 Popcorn 👀 Popcorn

1960 Dove Blue Double Cab Patina Build

Two Glove Boxes

DLK
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
1970PAKombi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2023 8:38 am    Post subject: Re: July 50 standard found Reply with quote

Looking forward to seeing it
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: