Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Beetle Windshield Sun Shield/Screen
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
OldSchoolVW's Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2023 4:38 pm    Post subject: Beetle Windshield Sun Shield/Screen Reply with quote

I'm referring to the kind that unfolds or unrolls and goes inside the windshield. Checking to see if anyone knows where these can be purchased (for flat windshield). MAM has one on their website, but they have no idea when/if they might have it back in stock. Just seems like it should be a fairly common accessory item at ACVW retailers, but I'm having trouble finding it. Even the extra small ones found at mainstream retailers are far too big for the bug's 14"x40"-ish windshield. Thanks for any leads you can provide!

"Following distance is proportional to IQ."

'63 Beetle Sedan
'69 Beetle Sunroof
'70 Beetle Sedan
'73 Type 3 Fastback
toxicavenger70
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2023 2:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Beetle Windshield Sun Shield/Screen Reply with quote

I bought a roll of this https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt-48-in-x-25-ft-Double-Reflective-Insulation-48x25RI/315103268 then laid it on the outside of my windshield and trimmed it to fit. It has worked great for the last few years.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2023 8:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Beetle Windshield Sun Shield/Screen Reply with quote

Thanks! A great Plan B if I can't find one online. Smile

'63 Beetle Sedan
'69 Beetle Sunroof
'70 Beetle Sedan
'73 Type 3 Fastback
baldessariclan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2023 1:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Beetle Windshield Sun Shield/Screen Reply with quote

I went looking for something similar a few years back, but didn't have luck finding anything appropriate. Eventually decided to just make my own.

Went to Hobby Lobby and bought one of their 48" wide white cardboard "display boards", which are pre-slitted to fold into 3 sections. Next took a couple large sheets of paper, taped to outside of windshield, and traced windshield edge onto the paper. Then used that paper as a template to transfer edge pattern to the carboard, and trimmed cardboard to fit windshield opening. Finally, carefully cut a few more shallow slits (i.e. through one face sheet only) in the cardboard, such that I could fold it up "accordion-style" for storage.

I'll try to take and post some pictures of it later tonight. Have been using for several years now -- works great! Smile

baldessariclan -- often in error, never in doubt...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Kafer_Mike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2023 5:38 am    Post subject: Re: Beetle Windshield Sun Shield/Screen Reply with quote

Mid America Motorworks used to carry them -- https://www.mamotorworks.com. If they are out of stock and you're not interested in the DIY options, these guys will custom make one for you for ~$45 -- https://www.heatshieldstore.com.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2023 6:22 am    Post subject: Re: Beetle Windshield Sun Shield/Screen Reply with quote

All of the Beetle glass is nearly vertical so very little to gain with those. The rear glass however is the one that really needs it! Notice how the top of the rear seat back goes crumbly with age?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2023 1:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Beetle Windshield Sun Shield/Screen Reply with quote

Kafer_Mike wrote:
Mid America Motorworks used to carry them -- https://www.mamotorworks.com. If they are out of stock and you're not interested in the DIY options, these guys will custom make one for you for ~$45 -- https://www.heatshieldstore.com.

Yes, I saw the one at MAM, but it is currently out of stock. I called them to get the status on it and they said it has been on back order since February and they have no idea if/when they'll be getting it in.

The one from Heat Shield Store would only cost a few dollars more, and I'm all for supporting "made in USA" products so will look into them. Thanks for the link!

I might still go the DIY route, but I wanted to do a bound edge on it. Since operating a sewing machine is outside my lane. I'd end up paying someone to get that done and the total cost ends up back where HSS and MAM are.

'63 Beetle Sedan
'69 Beetle Sunroof
'70 Beetle Sedan
'73 Type 3 Fastback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2023 1:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Beetle Windshield Sun Shield/Screen Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
All of the Beetle glass is nearly vertical so very little to gain with those. The rear glass however is the one that really needs it! Notice how the top of the rear seat back goes crumbly with age?

Agreed, but down here in Southern California the brutal summer sun is everyday, all day from April - November. My dash is still intact and I'm hoping to keep it that way, hence the extra precaution. Having a black vinyl interior is one more reason to keep the sun off.

I totally agree about the rear seat exposure. Mine was fried when I bought the car and it appeared to have been on its second set of upholstery (maybe third). I'm not a big fan of the venetian blind accessory look for the rear window. Maybe reflective tint? But I have a no-longer-working rear defroster, so that would have to be dealt with before attempting a tint. Then there's the blanket over the rear seat solution ... Smile

'63 Beetle Sedan
'69 Beetle Sunroof
'70 Beetle Sedan
'73 Type 3 Fastback
AlmostHeavenWV_VW Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2023 6:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Beetle Windshield Sun Shield/Screen Reply with quote

$11 and about 10 minutes with the scissors to cut to fit

Auto Drive Universal Tropical Windshield Accordion Sunshade, 63'' x 28.5''

If you want to go with plain silver/reflective--$6

Since they are a bubble-plastic board, they will not fray on the cut edges either
Bosch DVDA 205AJ Distributor
madmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2023 5:36 am    Post subject: Re: Beetle Windshield Sun Shield/Screen Reply with quote

I always wanted to get The 'Eye's' from the Disney movie Cars
76 Drag/Street bug 2180cc 'Turbo' 11:85 @113 mph"If I go any faster I'll burn up the Hamster" ,gets 28 mpg. also 10/09/22 11.90 @115 mph
"If I'm ever on Life Support,UNPLUG Me, Then Plug me back In see if that Works"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2023 11:13 am    Post subject: Re: Beetle Windshield Sun Shield/Screen Reply with quote

madmike wrote:

Here you go!

https://www.amazon.com/Disney-Pixar-Lightning-Mcqu...&psc=1

Smile

'63 Beetle Sedan
'69 Beetle Sunroof
'70 Beetle Sedan
'73 Type 3 Fastback
Kafer_Mike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2023 7:55 am    Post subject: Re: Beetle Windshield Sun Shield/Screen Reply with quote

OldSchoolVW's wrote:
madmike wrote:

Here you go!

https://www.amazon.com/Disney-Pixar-Lightning-Mcqu...&psc=1

Smile

...or these buseyes/bugeyes by madmatz -- https://www.madmatz.co.uk/beetle-bugeye-sunshade.html
baldessariclan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2023 4:50 am    Post subject: Re: Beetle Windshield Sun Shield/Screen Reply with quote

baldessariclan wrote:
I went looking for something similar a few years back, but didn't have luck finding anything appropriate. Eventually decided to just make my own.

Went to Hobby Lobby and bought one of their 48" wide white cardboard "display boards", which are pre-slitted to fold into 3 sections. Next took a couple large sheets of paper, taped to outside of windshield, and traced windshield edge onto the paper. Then used that paper as a template to transfer edge pattern to the carboard, and trimmed cardboard to fit windshield opening. Finally, carefully cut a few more shallow slits (i.e. through one face sheet only) in the cardboard, such that I could fold it up "accordion-style" for storage.

I'll try to take and post some pictures of it later tonight. Have been using for several years now -- works great! Smile

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

baldessariclan -- often in error, never in doubt...
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2023 10:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Beetle Windshield Sun Shield/Screen Reply with quote

Thanks for taking time to post these photos. That's a great low cost solution!

Smile Applause

'63 Beetle Sedan
'69 Beetle Sunroof
'70 Beetle Sedan
'73 Type 3 Fastback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: