Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Advice needed for temporary oil breather solution
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Thingy6
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2023 8:01 am    Post subject: Advice needed for temporary oil breather solution Reply with quote

Hi All,
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I was recently baptized into Thing ownership and am over the moon!
I’m wrapping up fuel system replacement/refurb and have a question about my next project to tackle: oil breather/air filter solution.

P.O. had one of those crappy aftermarket air filters that are probably more suited for a lawnmower, unfortunately. a buddy of mine sourced me a proper air box assembly but he won’t be able to ship it to me until he returns from Germany in July.

So, what should I do in the meantime? After searching the web, I see some folks run a hose from the oil filler/breather down to somewhere (outside road air maybe? Idk), some will run a hose from filler/breather to the air filter, and some just leave it open.

Leaving the breather open doesn’t sound like a great idea to me because dirt and dust could settle in there I assume?

What do you think I should do until my new air box arrives?
Anyone here know where I can get an entire air assembly in the next few weeks?
wbailey2112
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2023 4:51 am    Post subject: Re: Advice needed for temporary oil breather solution Reply with quote

Use one of these types until you find a better solution...

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2396784

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1900650
el_safari
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2023 6:01 am    Post subject: Re: Advice needed for temporary oil breather solution Reply with quote

"some will run a hose from filler/breather to the air filter"
Thats the way to go or buy a good original one by thingparts(90USD)
Phil
el_safari
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2023 6:06 am    Post subject: Re: Advice needed for temporary oil breather solution Reply with quote

Did you look here on the classifieds for a vw thing air cleaner? 4 for sale
Thingy6
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2023 9:52 am    Post subject: Re: Advice needed for temporary oil breather solution Reply with quote

El safari - not yet. I’m new around here and am just learning about the awesome classifieds section. Thanks for the tip!
chris914x181
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2023 5:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Advice needed for temporary oil breather solution Reply with quote

It depends on what you mean by temporary. I once filled an empty oil jug with open sell foam and ran a rubber hose to the bottom of it. Fix the jug upright in the engine compartment. The foam helps to collect the oil vapor in the bottom. It works really well. Later I bought a fancy machined one that did the same thing.
1986 Skateboard
2004 7.4L Roadtrek Versatile
http://www.cassidy-online.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
CanStan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2023 7:15 am    Post subject: Re: Advice needed for temporary oil breather solution Reply with quote

Maybe this will help? I just switched from dual carbs to a single carb. While I get organized to track down a correct Thing oil bath, and order a Volkzbitz carb, this is the setup I'm running. It's not ideal, but it works.
Even better would be to put a 90* elbow off the nipple of the air filter, so the bend in the blue hose wouldn't be so tight.

Either way, make sure you don't leave the breather tube uncovered- you'll have an oily mess all over the engine bay in no time!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Thingy6
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2023 11:26 am    Post subject: Re: Advice needed for temporary oil breather solution Reply with quote

CanStan wrote:

Maybe this will help? I just switched from dual carbs to a single carb. While I get organized to track down a correct Thing oil bath, and order a Volkzbitz carb, this is the setup I'm running. It's not ideal, but it works.
Even better would be to put a 90* elbow off the nipple of the air filter, so the bend in the blue hose wouldn't be so tight.

Either way, make sure you don't leave the breather tube uncovered- you'll have an oily mess all over the engine bay in no time!

I’ve ordered a new air box but may do something like what you’ve done here in the near term .

That aside, what is the benefit of have the Pcv ventilated to the air box? Are you returning warm air to the engine to help combustibility or something like that?
chris914x181
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2023 4:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Advice needed for temporary oil breather solution Reply with quote

Thingy6 wrote:
CanStan wrote:

That aside, what is the benefit of have the Pcv ventilated to the air box? Are you returning warm air to the engine to help combustibility or something like that?

There are always oil fumes escaping from the crankcase. Sucking them into the engine to be burnt is a tad bit cleaner for the environment. Like dumping them into a canister it also keeps your engine compartment from being coated in oil.

But neither will work well if your engine is old, and gases are getting past the rings, and pushing oil out of the crankcase. You'll gum up your carburetor if you're feeding them back into the engine. Also it creates a vacuum that sucks more out of the crankcase, push rod tubes, and value covers that makes them leak more. That's why I like just dumping them into a canister.

On my 914 the canister is also connected to the valve covers.

[/img]
1986 Skateboard
2004 7.4L Roadtrek Versatile
http://www.cassidy-online.com
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2023 4:44 am    Post subject: Re: Advice needed for temporary oil breather solution Reply with quote

Vent lines that run horizontal or worse have dips in them may fill with engine snot, at which point they can cause a big step up in case pressure and an accompanying loss of oil.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: