Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Is AAA best for longer distance towing?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2023 2:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Is AAA best for longer distance towing? Reply with quote

While visiting in a large metropolitan area, I got good service from AAA (an actual AAA employee in an actual AAA service truck changed a tire for me), but in a rural area they flat-out refused to tow me. Evil or Very Mad
(They said there was not an affiliated towing contractor within 15 or 20 miles so I was S.O.L.)
Why I pay them money every year remains a mystery to me.
Emily's Owner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2023 4:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Is AAA best for longer distance towing? Reply with quote

16CVs wrote:
I don't think you can a better deal dollar for dollar. when used in a major metrpolitan area.

In a major city tow companies compete for calls and rely on Customer satisfaction.

Once you get in the boonies or outside a major town, there are fewer tow companies that work with AAA and customer service is greatly reduced. Wait times are greatly increased quality of service sucks.

When stuck in Death Valley, the truck that picked me up was called "2 star towing" and lived up to their name.

When in remote areas with AAA get operators names and position and document what they tell you. They will tell you anything to get you off the phone.

I was shocked to be treated the way I was, but upon doing some searches they really bad customer service. I guess they were bought out years ago and have suffered ever since.

Tread carefully

Stacy

My tow truck driver in Pendleton knew where I lived, and had towed the Volvo a lot when a local shop couldn't seem to diagnose what was wrong with it (leaving me on the side of the road too often) way back when - and he has Pendleton Round-Up permanent seats right in front of ours (since 1984) - so my small town experience was better than big city to be honest, but that's not always the case.

ITMC - OG Den Mother

What (and I cannot stress this enough) The Actual Fuck?!

1974 Transporter
2023 Subaru Outback
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2023 7:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Is AAA best for longer distance towing? Reply with quote

I do a lot of UPS shipping and AAA gives me 5% off, so it pays for itself every year. Napa will not give you any discount if you have an account so I'm out there ( I'm about done buying their trash anyway). Driving old junk out on the road is an exercise in brass balls, road repair skills, and good fortune. That is all I drive ( my "new" car is a 77 Plymouth Gran Fury ). I'll keep AAA I just don't trust them anymore.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2023 3:27 am    Post subject: Re: Is AAA best for longer distance towing? Reply with quote

Emily's Owner wrote:
16CVs wrote:
I don't think you can a better deal dollar for dollar. when used in a major metrpolitan area.

In a major city tow companies compete for calls and rely on Customer satisfaction.

Once you get in the boonies or outside a major town, there are fewer tow companies that work with AAA and customer service is greatly reduced. Wait times are greatly increased quality of service sucks.

When stuck in Death Valley, the truck that picked me up was called "2 star towing" and lived up to their name.

When in remote areas with AAA get operators names and position and document what they tell you. They will tell you anything to get you off the phone.

I was shocked to be treated the way I was, but upon doing some searches they really bad customer service. I guess they were bought out years ago and have suffered ever since.

Tread carefully

Stacy

My tow truck driver in Pendleton knew where I lived, and had towed the Volvo a lot when a local shop couldn't seem to diagnose what was wrong with it (leaving me on the side of the road too often) way back when - and he has Pendleton Round-Up permanent seats right in front of ours (since 1984) - so my small town experience was better than big city to be honest, but that's not always the case.

I just moved 200 miles into a new area so all my old contacts have to be re-made. It took me one week to find a local tow guy who will recover a local car for $100 , and all the women have his cell phone. We can leave our cars and hidden keys and get our car picked up if needed. So far I’m the only dufus who has used it, once on me and twice on my indie
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2023 3:49 am    Post subject: Re: Is AAA best for longer distance towing? Reply with quote

Classic AAA experience in breakdown in NV

Quote:

Thanks. It's at the shop on Carson City. AAA tow service refused me a ride to Bishop. Said they didn't have the staff and only one driver on right now.

Setup your tow emergency plans before your trip, don’t count on AAA for anything but local tows
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2023 7:54 am    Post subject: Re: Is AAA best for longer distance towing? Reply with quote

We've had AAA Premium for a few years, includes my youngest daughter. That program includes 100 miles towing (up to 4 incidents per year per person).

When my daughter's '98 Pathfinder 85 miles away needed a new distributor, we had it towed to me and I installed and timed that.

Where I summer is 100 miles away from my home in Phoenix or the auto shop I trust, so I've used for that too.

AAA or similar are just insurance like any insurance, likely does not pay off in the long run, gives folks some sense of security....
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
ALLWAGONS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2023 11:05 am    Post subject: Re: Is AAA best for longer distance towing? Reply with quote

AAA is the best! When you reach Premium level you can get long distance towing. Service depends on the Independent contractor. Well worth the membership fee!

I recycle old cars and parts, other than when I rot, that's as Green as I am going to get.

Thanks to my Tesla driving neighbors, I feel more relaxed driving my SUBURBAN and old VW's.

NON INFLUENCER APPROVED
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2023 5:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Is AAA best for longer distance towing? Reply with quote

Emily's Owner wrote:

When I had AAA Premium, years ago.
I had my BMW 325 towed after a broken timing belt in Beaverton.
The driver that picked up the car was named John. He towed the car to my house.
Then I found a shop to do the topend repair. John showed up again and towed the Bimmer to the shop.

A few years later, driving my 69 Baja on the Banfield, the engine let go.
I called AAA and guess who my driver was, John again!
He was a super nice guy, that turned out to be a pitman for a fledging Nascar truck team. The Nascar Truck racer that John pitted for was Greg Biffle.

Now a days. My auto insurance plan includes towing. Mostly a 10 mile radius from the break down. I've had to use their services a couple times, a broken rag joint, broken oil pump tang.... Most of my latest break downs are only a few miles from my home. Thank goodness!

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2023 10:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Is AAA best for longer distance towing? Reply with quote

What’s a tow cost from PIR to Hillsboro? Think
Nothing if you do it yourself. Not everyone can Wink

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: