Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1969 Squareback Front end upper arm play?
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
nynone4
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2023 7:53 am    Post subject: 1969 Squareback Front end upper arm play? Reply with quote

Driving the squareback last night, I noticed what felt like a little “looseness” in the steering - that the steering seems to be affected by small bumps, moving left and right slightly without any change in the steering wheel.

This morning I put the car up on stands to check out the usual suspects. Tie rods, wheel bearings, ball joints all seem to check out as good. The play seems to be coming from the upper arms (both sides) at the beam. It’s not a lot of movement… but enough that I’d like to address it before it comes a bigger issue.

Any ideas what could be causing the play? Is there a bushing there on the torsion bar that maybe has gone bad? I’m not as familiar with the inner workings of the type 3 beam as I am the bus and bug.

Any suggestions on what might be going on and how to fix it? The set screws for the arms themselves are good and tight clamping to the torsion bars.

Thanks in advance for any help!
andybla
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2023 1:59 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 Squareback Front end upper arm play? Reply with quote

You can try to tighten the upper arms, if i recall correctly, you need to loosen the lock bolt, remove the lock plate(?), tighten the side bolt untill the upper torsion bar and arm assy is just tight enough that it hold it’s own weight just above the bumpstop, after that torque down lock bolt and lock plate to secure it
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2023 2:21 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 Squareback Front end upper arm play? Reply with quote

yes, I was looking for better pics... for the driver upper arm, the bolt and lock plate are on the passenger side and vice versa.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

nynone4
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2023 3:03 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 Squareback Front end upper arm play? Reply with quote

Awesome. This is the kind of info I was hoping for. Thankyou both so much!

So… are there any better pics to show where I access these bolts and locking plates for the upper torsion bars? Is it a bolt that threads directly into the end of the torsion bar?
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2023 5:56 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 Squareback Front end upper arm play? Reply with quote

nynone4 wrote:
Awesome. This is the kind of info I was hoping for. Thankyou both so much!

So… are there any better pics to show where I access these bolts and locking plates for the upper torsion bars? Is it a bolt that threads directly into the end of the torsion bar?

Keep in mind you might have to do it a couple of times to get it to take a set IF it's been loose for a while. On my own car I had to adjust it 3 times, as it had been loose for a while. Since then I'll check it once a year before I start driving it a lot. It usually doesn't need a huge adjustment (part of a turn) after it gets set.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
andybla
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2023 11:52 am    Post subject: Re: 1969 Squareback Front end upper arm play? Reply with quote

Other side is just the stud with locknut

Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2023 12:16 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 Squareback Front end upper arm play? Reply with quote

andybla wrote:
Other side is just the stud with locknut

And you need to crack the top bolt loose before trying to adjust the side bolt with the locking clip. If you don't, you'll just grind off the top of the bolt (it's basically a set screw), and it'll never take the adjustment correctly.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
nynone4
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2023 3:31 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 Squareback Front end upper arm play? Reply with quote

I was able to make the first adjustments today. BIG difference in the steering feel to the positive. Thanks all for the help! Love the knowledge and willingness to help in this forum.

Now to see if I can adjust out a little play in the steering box… 😁
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2023 4:05 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 Squareback Front end upper arm play? Reply with quote

While driving mine front end would shimmy at 45 ~ 50 miles an hour. Rotated balanced tires, new shocks, then finally after reading the Bentley manual it tells me to check and adjust the upper torsion arm axial play. Problem solved.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2023 1:22 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 Squareback Front end upper arm play? Reply with quote

gt1953 wrote:
While driving mine front end would shimmy at 45 ~ 50 miles an hour. Rotated balanced tires, new shocks, then finally after reading the Bentley manual it tells me to check and adjust the upper torsion arm axial play. Problem solved.

Yup, went thru that myself on my own car. The vibration and steering wheel shake would come in at 53, and go away at 58. At least it was consistent. I did every that gt1953 did too, including replacing the steering dampener trying to fix my own car. Once I did the torsion bar end play adjustment a few times, it got real good that I left it alone and now check it once a year before driving it. Problem solved.
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: