Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Anti theft idea
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Beastofthesoutheast
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2023 10:21 pm    Post subject: Anti theft idea Reply with quote

Ok I know how to keep my car from getting stolen with switches n stuff like that but after seeing a Dodge Callenger get stripped to just it’s shell everything else gone in the middle of the street in a neighborhood got me thinking. On a Baja or Dune buggy or Sandrail how can you keep from getting your engine stolen? Just a few wires a hose n 4 bolts and it’s gone. I was thinking some like a nut that needs a key like on lug bolts for rims. Are there anyone who makes those? Does anyone on here have a idea or a way to keep the engine from getting stolen. Any ideas would help.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2023 3:35 am    Post subject: Re: Anti theft idea Reply with quote

If they want it... nothing will stop them.

It would be easier to take the entire vehicle than to strip it in place.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2023 5:44 am    Post subject: Re: Anti theft idea Reply with quote

I would be more worried about your car with a catalytic converter...

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
kbwakesk8
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2023 8:59 am    Post subject: Re: Anti theft idea Reply with quote

apple air tag
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
earthquake
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2023 9:44 am    Post subject: Re: Anti theft idea Reply with quote

Years ago some body made a upper bellhousing bolt for VW's that you could put a lock through, in Vegas thieves would push a Baja around a corner and pull the engine and be gone in just a couple of minutes.

eQ
05 SCION XB SERIES RELEASE 2[#437]
95 Chevy C3500 dually
98 Ford E150
Link to Kelly J. Nolte 3/20/53 - 11/6/08
https://time-zonelabs.blogspot.com/p/about-kelly.html
DEATH TO CHINGERS!
[From a military recruitment poster in the novel "The Stainless Steel Rat" By Harry Harrison]
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2023 9:52 am    Post subject: Re: Anti theft idea Reply with quote

earthquake wrote:
Years ago some body made a upper bellhousing bolt for VW's that you could put a lock through, in Vegas thieves would push a Baja around a corner and pull the engine and be gone in just a couple of minutes.

eQ

Easy enough, just buy a M10 bolt 90mm vs the stock 70mm and drill a hole through it. Then use a small pad lock.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jsturtlebuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2023 11:53 am    Post subject: Re: Anti theft idea Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

This is a copy of a Boll Enterprise engine lock sold in the early 1970s
It replace the starter bolt. And you use a paddle lock between flat strap and angle piece that slips on bolt.
Make sue bolt is long enough so angle cannot be remove with paddle lock in place.
Motion Tire Motorsports
Having fun with Dune Buggies since 1970
Into Volkswagens since 1960
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2023 12:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Anti theft idea Reply with quote

^^^^^^
Never seen that, learned something new.

personally, if someone can steal the engine from my car and leave the car... I wish them luck (unless they have a plasma cutter and cut the back of the car off)

You can't get to that nut without removing a lot of stuff.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
Wulfthang
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2023 8:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Anti theft idea Reply with quote

3/16 steel cable with a crimp lock on it. You'd need bolt cutters to remove it. Just loop it thru or around the engine and then thru a frame member and lock the crimper on.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Beastofthesoutheast
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2023 8:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Anti theft idea Reply with quote

Awesome thanks to all who had good ideas. I know if that want it they will steal it. The idea is to as they used to say keep honest thieves honest. Another words just a thief who is just happen by and think this could be an easy steel will be deterred by it being to complicated or to much time to waste on it. I will look into these ideas and use with the other things I’m going to do. Thanks again.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2023 5:59 am    Post subject: Re: Anti theft idea Reply with quote

Or you could move to a different neighborhood...
Beastofthesoutheast
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2023 6:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Rocker arms Reply with quote

If adding high ratio rockers on a stock engine do you need to change the length of the push rods?
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2023 8:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Rocker arms Reply with quote

Beastofthesoutheast wrote:
If adding high ratio rockers on a stock engine do you need to change the length of the push rods?

Depends!
You would need to set the rocker geo and then, measure your push rod length.

Why would you want to to install high lift ratio rockers on a stock engine?
There's really nothing to be gained by doing so. Except (IMO) headaches!

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
Beastofthesoutheast
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2023 5:39 pm    Post subject: Re:rocker arms Reply with quote

I had read and seen several videos about adding high ratio rockers to improve performance on the engine. One guy said it almost like installing a mild cam and it did seem to run better but they never addressed the push rods on a stock engine if they needed different or not. So I came here to see what everyone else may think. I’m just running ideas thru my head to see what can be done.
Mikedrevguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2023 6:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Anti theft idea Reply with quote

I’ve got a slow drain happening somewhere, so I installed a battery cutoff switch.
69 Bwajaja
"The wise speak because they have something to say; while the foolish speak because they have to say something." Plato

Illigitimi non-Carborundum!!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
las912
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2023 12:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Rocker arms Reply with quote

Beastofthesoutheast wrote:

Yes, they need to be shortened.

You can buy a simple tool for that or make your own.
liquidrush
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2023 2:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Anti theft idea Reply with quote

In these days of cordless tools such as angle grinders with a cut off wheels things like cables, bolts, padlocks and such are very easy and quick work. Just a thought, not knocking any ideas.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: