Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Least Hilly Path- Van to Alberta - Mechanics along the way???
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Barking Squirrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2023 7:48 am    Post subject: Least Hilly Path- Van to Alberta - Mechanics along the way??? Reply with quote

Hello VW team:
Spent a bunch of time on the Forums learning and laughing, on the technical side of getting Mattie our '80 aircooled, dual carb, 230k, Vanagon L running better. Very much appreciate the honest and helpful posts from fellow VW's.

I have a non-technical question so thought I'd ask it here.
We are planning on driving Mattie from Vancouver, British Columbia to Calgary, Alberta this summer. Trying to avoid the mountainous climbs and long descents over the summits. Anyone have suggestions on the "flattest" route? Two pictures below highlight the preferred yellow route - any others?

Also- any suggestions on good mechanics along the way:)?

Advice is greatly appreciated.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

OldSchoolVW's Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2023 2:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Least Hilly Path- Van to Alberta - Mechanics along the way??? Reply with quote

I have no specific route to offer, but rail routes typically keep any change in elevation as gradual as possible. Perhaps you could explore train routes between Vancouver and Calgary and see if there are roads/highways that shadow the rail route? Could very well end up being a long indirect route from point A to point B though.

"Following distance is proportional to IQ."

'63 Beetle Sedan
'69 Beetle Sunroof
'70 Beetle Sedan
'73 Type 3 Fastback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2023 2:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Least Hilly Path- Van to Alberta - Mechanics along the way??? Reply with quote

Find the route railroad takes, they know a thing or two about shallow grades. Wink

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
CanStan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2023 5:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Least Hilly Path- Van to Alberta - Mechanics along the way??? Reply with quote

The flattest routes will still have some killer hills. But if your van is tuned well, and you don’t lug it up those steep grades, you’ll be fine. I usually drive a stock single carb 1600 Bus along that route every summer. The worst is getting on the Coquihalla Highway, because the speed limit is 120km/h, and most drivers seem to be doing well over that. It’s scary when they come up on someone doing 90.

You can take the south route through Cranbrook and Crowsnest Pass, but there’s still some big hills and it’s a lot longer of a drive.

Highway 1 has plenty of double lanes, and the single lane stretches have passing lanes often enough that you won’t completely clog up traffic. Tuck in behind the semi trucks and enjoy the drive!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Barking Squirrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2023 5:33 am    Post subject: Re: Least Hilly Path- Van to Alberta - Mechanics along the way??? Reply with quote

Thanks OldSchool, Canstan and Busdaddy.
I am still getting to know this van and need to do some carb tuning and shift linkage repairs before launch. Will definitely avoid the Coquihalla Highway. Plan on putting a "yup, I am slow" decal on the back.. Smile

CanStan, if you see a two-tone '80 westy on the side of the road pointing towards Calgary this July, stop by.....Smile

Last edited by Barking Squirrel on Tue May 16, 2023 6:25 am; edited 1 time in total
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2023 6:21 am    Post subject: Re: Least Hilly Path- Van to Alberta - Mechanics along the way??? Reply with quote

I have only done the complete northern route through Prince George once. I do recall a couple of fairly steep passes south of PG. West from PG is pretty desolate though with next to nothing for fuel stations until you get to Jasper. There will be no repairs for any make to be had in that 5 hour stretch! We have plans to do that run with our street Buggy later this summer maybe all the way to Cache Creek.

It's been a number of years since we did the southern route through the Crow's Nest. It was in a '71 type 3 wagon and yes there was some steep hills. Very little traffic back then and a beautiful drive! This one is on our Bucket list for the Buggy too!

The Rodger's Pass is the most travelled for good reason but east of Golden there is a lot of road construction happening now so expect delays, detours and heavy slow moving traffic in those locations. They have been diverting traffic down the Fairmont way which does add time to the trip too.

As for VW repair facilities, no matter which way you got there will be very little once outside of the main populated areas. One thing to watch for these days is all the green Semi drivers out there now that o not gear down BEFORE the downhills and come smoking (literally Shocked ) down at speeds that would put the fear of God into Satan himself! This is especially true with coming into Kamloops off the Coquihalla! KEEP YOU EYE ON THAT REAR VIEW MIRROR!

Last edited by oprn on Tue May 16, 2023 6:33 am; edited 3 times in total
Barking Squirrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2023 6:29 am    Post subject: Re: Least Hilly Path- Van to Alberta - Mechanics along the way??? Reply with quote

Thanks oprn.
I heard about the construction delays between Revelstoke and Golden, also on the Kickhorse section east of Golden. Will be happy to stay away from those areas in July....
Barking Squirrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2023 5:31 am    Post subject: Re: Least Hilly Path- Van to Alberta - Mechanics along the way??? Reply with quote

A quick "thanks" to all.
"Mattie" drove from Victoria to Jasper/Lake Louise/Calgary without an issue. Through the desert areas and then up and over the Icefields Parkway. Pulled well, no smoke, and great downhill braking...Smile
As per the title of this thread:

I would highly recommend taking the Highway 1 route through the Fraser Canyon rather than the Coquihalla Highway AND THEN take Highway 5 to Jasper instead of Highway 1 to Golden/Lake Louise.
Minimal traffic, great rivers, fantastic views.

oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2023 6:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Least Hilly Path- Van to Alberta - Mechanics along the way??? Reply with quote

We are in Prince George at the moment. We went from Salmon Arm up here through some of the nicest winding scenic roads I have ever seen. Very little traffic too! Made the Missus wish we had taken the Buggy to better enjoy the view. Made me wish we had the 944 so I could enjoy the road!

Last edited by oprn on Tue Aug 01, 2023 6:47 am; edited 1 time in total
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2023 6:46 am    Post subject: Re: Least Hilly Path- Van to Alberta - Mechanics along the way??? Reply with quote

On the way home yesterday we were passed by a Vanagon. I had the cruise set at 108 Km/hr and that was not fast enough for him. I never saw him again even on the steepest of hills. I have no idea what those things have for an engine but my '69 bay window was not that powerful.

If yours is powered the same then any road you chose in BC would have been fine.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: