Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Axle movement--Buggy
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
2381Buggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2023 5:32 pm    Post subject: Axle movement--Buggy Reply with quote

While playing around today, I heard a strange noise in the rear of my buggy-clanking. I was on a bumpy portion of the dirt area I've been on many times. At first I thought it was just the spring plates clanging, but never heard this type of noise before.

When I parked, I got out and looked a the axle shafts. Looked normal. I grabbed the left one and it had about 2-3" play -in and out from the wheel to the transmission. I know there has to be some movement-can't be solid rigid or the joints couldn't do their job. But that much in and out movement?

Keep in mind-bus transmission so it has a larger joint on the inner and a beetle/car joint on the outer. The other side has almost the same amount of movement. Not up and down-but in and out towards each joint. The boots don't look stretched.

Do I have a problem? These axles got new boots last years and were packed with the proper grease..no leakage at all.
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2023 6:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Axle movement--Buggy Reply with quote

edit to zip because of misleading information...

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...

Last edited by Dale M. on Sun May 14, 2023 7:10 am; edited 1 time in total
jsturtlebuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2023 10:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Axle movement--Buggy Reply with quote

Yes CV are suppose to move back and forth. When at full droop they will move less.
Also the CV joint plunge in and out.
Jack it up and spin tire and see if you hear the noise. Bad CV joint will make knocking noises.
Motion Tire Motorsports
Having fun with Dune Buggies since 1970
Into Volkswagens since 1960
2381Buggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2023 9:52 am    Post subject: Re: Axle movement--Buggy Reply with quote

Jacked the back end off the ground-spun each wheel freely in both directions-no noises at all.

Guess I am ok.

I now think my clunking might be the muffler I just added-hitting the back cage bar. I hope.

Went through the woods on rough terrain for a ride-no problems.
Mikedrevguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2023 10:56 am    Post subject: Re: Axle movement--Buggy Reply with quote

Check out the lower shock mounts. I once chased the clunking sound, replaced with new set of CV drive axle assemblies, only to discover that the problem was the shocks were clunking against the lower mounts.
69 Bwajaja
"The wise speak because they have something to say; while the foolish speak because they have to say something." Plato

Illigitimi non-Carborundum!!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
2381Buggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2023 4:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Axle movement--Buggy Reply with quote

Look at this picture..I think this is a homemade bracket or spring plate addition.. It has two bolts that are tight-but it clunks up and down. The right side is tight-no movement.

Should it be tight? I think that's where my clunk is coming from. Shocks are pretty tight-very little movement at the bottom. Some bushing wear, but not enough to cause the clunk I am hearing.

But I cant figure out why one side has play and the other does not. The bolts are tight. It's almost like the bolts are worn into where they sit and now have movement.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
ORANGECRUSHer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2023 11:43 am    Post subject: Re: Axle movement--Buggy Reply with quote

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but this is something someone added because they ground off the spring plate perches and this basically keeps you spring plate from twisting and also gives it a perch or sorts. It shouldn't bind on the spring. I wouldn't know how tight it needs to be since I've never had a setup like this, but as long as it's not pinching the spring plate when it's tight I'd say tighten it as much as you can.
Berrien Warrior 2.4L Quad4
LAZY MARY 1970 Baja 1835cc
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: