Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Exhaust fabrication questions: Done (pic update)
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
CrazyTestPilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2023 8:46 pm    Post subject: Exhaust fabrication questions: Done (pic update) Reply with quote

I can't find an exhaust system for my type4 (sandrail) engine anywhere on the entire internet. It looks like I'm going to have to make my own. I know it's best to keep the pipes all the same length but are there other fundamental basics I should be aware of. I'll be using 1 5/8' mild steel. Thanks for your input.

Last edited by CrazyTestPilot on Wed May 17, 2023 11:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2023 5:17 am    Post subject: Re: Exhaust fabrication questions Reply with quote

You just hit on the biggest gap in the type 4 market today! There are precious few options out there. For my part, after buying a system and realizing it would be more work to modify it to fit than to build one from scratch, I went ahead and did that.

My system had different requirements than yours will. It was for a fiberglass street Buggy, limited ground clearance, accommodate the Bus cooling system, stay away from the cooling fan inlet, focused on low end drivability and midrange power. I also wanted the dual cannon look for nostalgic looks but was not interested in the usual poor performance normally found with dual cannon exhaust. This meant pairing the opposing cylinders instead of taking the normal easy way out. It took a few days of my spare time to do but I am happy with the end result.

None of this may apply to what you need but here it is. 1 1/2" primaries and 2" secondaries. This is for a 1911cc engine so your 1 5/8" primaries should be good for your engine.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

CrazyTestPilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2023 7:06 am    Post subject: Re: Exhaust fabrication questions Reply with quote

Thx OPRN, that buggy is super cool. I want one.!!! Is that a Manx?
earthquake
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2023 9:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Exhaust fabrication questions Reply with quote

Tri Mil used to make a BobCat system for the type 4, it was pt# 3116 wub I think.

eQ
05 SCION XB SERIES RELEASE 2[#437]
95 Chevy C3500 dually
98 Ford E150
Link to Kelly J. Nolte 3/20/53 - 11/6/08
https://time-zonelabs.blogspot.com/p/about-kelly.html
DEATH TO CHINGERS!
[From a military recruitment poster in the novel "The Stainless Steel Rat" By Harry Harrison]
Stinky123
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2023 9:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Exhaust fabrication questions Reply with quote

https://vwparts.aircooled.net/Tri-Mil-1-5-8-Off-Ro...u-bend.htm
Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2023 4:44 am    Post subject: Re: Exhaust fabrication questions Reply with quote

With the stock cooling system, European Motorworks is a slick set up.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=487021
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2023 4:50 am    Post subject: Re: Exhaust fabrication questions Reply with quote

CrazyTestPilot wrote:
Thx OPRN, that buggy is super cool. I want one.!!! Is that a Manx?

No. It's one of the many hundreds of copies.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2023 4:54 am    Post subject: Re: Exhaust fabrication questions Reply with quote

Stinky123 wrote:

That is the one I bought. When they say "it will not fit the stock cooling system"... oh ya! It's true. I thought I could extend/modify it to fit but in the end it was easier to build something from scratch.
CrazyTestPilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2023 4:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Exhaust fabrication questions Reply with quote

Yeah, I have the stock cooling so the tri-mill won't work and European motorworks doesn't have anything in stock and likely won't have anything soon he says. I'm stuck making my own it looks like.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2023 4:26 am    Post subject: Re: Exhaust fabrication questions Reply with quote

The European motorworks one looks like it would work well in a sand rail frame. Maybe you can duplicate that.
CrazyTestPilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2023 4:58 am    Post subject: Re: Exhaust fabrication questions Reply with quote

Yes I think I'll do something like that European motorworks setup.
Mikedrevguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2023 8:05 am    Post subject: Re: Exhaust fabrication questions Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
Stinky123 wrote:

That is the one I bought. When they say "it will not fit the stock cooling system"... oh ya! It's true. I thought I could extend/modify it to fit but in the end it was easier to build something from scratch.

This the one I got for my upright conversion. Still doesn’t fit right. The oil filter gets in the way. Opted to block off t(e stock oil filter and run a remote filter.
We’ll see how it works iffin I ever get that project finished.
69 Bwajaja
"The wise speak because they have something to say; while the foolish speak because they have to say something." Plato

Illigitimi non-Carborundum!!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
CrazyTestPilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2023 7:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Exhaust fabrication questions (pic update) Reply with quote

Well here it is. Better than nothing.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2023 4:56 am    Post subject: Re: Exhaust fabrication questions: Done (pic update) Reply with quote

Looks good to me.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: