Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Brake Light Switch--alternative
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
2381Buggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2023 7:34 am    Post subject: Brake Light Switch--alternative Reply with quote

Just a note to anyone who has repeated brake light switch failures or needs a way to have brake lights. My buggy has an older style Chevy master cylinder that has no provision for a brake switch.

I ordered a kit from Aircooled Evolution and it is fantastic. Easy to install and works!

If you haven't seen the post, search the classifieds. The microswitch attaches by the gas pedal and comes with wiring and connectors. Took me 20 minutes to install and wire up.
ORANGECRUSHer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2023 11:33 am    Post subject: Re: Brake Light Switch--alternative Reply with quote

To each his own, but an inline pressure switch in a brake system is nearly fool proof, and if that's not good enough use two incase one quits like I have. There's always plenty of brake line to add in a brass T with a 1/8" switch.
Berrien Warrior 2.4L Quad4
LAZY MARY 1970 Baja 1835cc
2381Buggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2023 11:41 am    Post subject: Re: Brake Light Switch--alternative Reply with quote

Mine actually has the tee you speak of in the rear of the vehicle, but the switch is bad, I was unable to get the switch out of the tee and feared a bleeding job with a new tee installation. I have hydraulic turning brake levers at the front and bleeding this system can be a pain.

So yes, I took a shortcut but for now it is good. I hear that today's hydraulic switches fail quickly, and with all the bouncing around and shaking this thing can get, no telling how long a new switch might last.

Will see how it goes long term.

I do agree two switches are better than one.
DesertSasquatchXploration
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2023 2:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake Light Switch--alternative Reply with quote

The delay with the factory hydraulic switch is an issue.
I do like the idea, I use that type of switch all the time at work they do last a long time but are fragile bump it with your shoe its done. The price is very far hope it work greats for you I would order one if my oem switch gives me trouble.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
2381Buggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2023 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: Brake Light Switch--alternative Reply with quote

Sasquatch... I was way ahead of you about the potential for switch breakage. I went to Home Depot and got an L bracket-cut a hole in it and mounted it to the same bolt the switch bracket goes through.

Great Protection.

See pictures.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: