Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

95 EV 2.5, proper oil temperature?
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
VWinny
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2023 3:21 pm    Post subject: 95 EV 2.5, proper oil temperature? Reply with quote

Anyone else have an oil temp gauge wired up and can share actual oil temp reading?

mine is reading 55C at idle when its warmed up which is 131 degrees F.

Curious.
VWinny
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2023 4:06 pm    Post subject: Re: 95 EV 2.5, proper oil temperature? Reply with quote

i think the temp sensor I installed is not functioning correctly may be a ground.

I pulled the dipstick and manually tested the oil temp with a temp gauge and it was reading 116.
Saturn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2023 10:09 am    Post subject: Re: 95 EV 2.5, proper oil temperature? Reply with quote

VWinny wrote:
Anyone else have an oil temp gauge wired up and can share actual oil temp reading?

mine is reading 55C at idle when its warmed up which is 131 degrees F.

Curious.

While I can not the provide temperature data you are looking for, wanted to share this. Been trying to figure out how to install an oil temp sensor on my 1995 EVC as a drain plug replacement. For an example, this is the type of set up on my Volvo 240 wagon and 122 Amazon.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Since the 2.5L drain plug uses a large thread, (M26x1.5) have not found a VDO sending unit which would be a direct replacement, nor do I believe they ever made one to fit that drain plug size. In the meantime, run periodic searches for an adapter to be able to fit a smaller profile VDO oil temp sender inside of it but have not had any success there yet either. (M26x1.5 Male to 1/8"-27 NPT Female) In January I ordered a several VDO oil temp sensors off of Amazon as what I might do is drill and tap out a M26.x1.5 plug to fit in the sensor unit. These are what I picked up (@$16 and change) but they seem to be out of stock at the moment. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0049XJX8O/

FYI: VDO Temp sensors need to be paired with the correct gauge (display/scale) or they will not read correctly.
250°F /120 °C = Water Temp
300°F /150 °C = Oil Temp
subdewd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2023 6:39 pm    Post subject: Re: 95 EV 2.5, proper oil temperature? Reply with quote

Drill and tap oem drain plug
VWinny
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2023 5:41 am    Post subject: Re: 95 EV 2.5, proper oil temperature? Reply with quote

I have mine installed with a tee on the oil sensor.
VWinny
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2023 5:46 am    Post subject: Re: 95 EV 2.5, proper oil temperature? Reply with quote

F = (C x 2) + 30
VWinny
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2023 5:58 am    Post subject: Re: 95 EV 2.5, proper oil temperature? Reply with quote

here you can see location of all 3 sensors.

water temp is installed with an inline stainless connector.
Oil sensors are both installed with tees on the upper and lower oil sensor locations.

all 3 are functioning properly.

side note: it is imperative that the grounds are well connected when doing an inline connection for water temp.
volkybus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2023 7:32 pm    Post subject: Re: 95 EV 2.5, proper oil temperature? Reply with quote

Question from a aircooled guy who now ownes both . #1 why 2 h20 temp gauges and #2 aren't. H20 & oil temps close? Thanks Bill.(93 EV & 76 WESTY
VWinny
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2023 3:10 pm    Post subject: Re: 95 EV 2.5, proper oil temperature? Reply with quote

the water temp gauge I have in the pic shows the actual temperature. It is precise and I like to have them in case the original stock temp gauge that does not show exact temp fails especially in older vw's.

water temp and oil temp are close yes but temp can vary with amount of oil. more info the better in my opinion.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: