Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Shaun Rees dies whilst driving his 1949 Beetle home from show.
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Martin Southwell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2023 4:55 am    Post subject: Shaun Rees dies whilst driving his 1949 Beetle home from show. Reply with quote

It's a very sad time here in the UK for those in the early Beetle scene, as the Chairman of the UK's Historic VW Club, Shaun Rees, was killed whilst driving home from the Stanford Hall show on Sunday night, in his immaculate 1949 Beetle. The irony being that he was on the last leg of his very long journey home when it happened.

From what I am led to believe at this stage, he was hit from behind, and the car ended up on its roof. The Police investigation will no doubt throw full light on the matter, but it does focus the mind re driving your old VW in modern traffic, although if true, being hit from behind isn't a scenario that immediately springs to mind.

The local newspaper states most facts known to date: https://www.cornwalllive.com/news/cornwall-news/a30-crash-killed-classic-car-8414817?int_source=nba
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
empiracer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2023 6:48 am    Post subject: Re: Shaun Rees dies whilst driving his 1949 Beetle home from show. Reply with quote

Sad news , My thoughts go out to friends and family of Shaun Sad
TRS63
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2023 7:26 am    Post subject: Re: Shaun Rees dies whilst driving his 1949 Beetle home from show. Reply with quote

That is terrible, all my thoughts are with the Family and friends!
My 914 restoration&lightweight project :
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9698432#9698432
Resurrecting a 60 ghia : https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=713906
My 52 Standard Zwitter :
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=10086685#10086685
Ovally
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2023 7:29 am    Post subject: Re: Shaun Rees dies whilst driving his 1949 Beetle home from show. Reply with quote

Very sad to hear this, my thoughts are with the family and friends. Sad

With the current traffic, it is no longer responsible to drive an oldtimer on highways.
After narrowly escaping death twice, I stopped doing it about 12 years ago.
Now I only drive on secondary roads with a maximum allowed speed of 70 km/h.
And even then you have to be careful and something can still happen, but the impact is usually a lot smaller.

Regards.
Mazda 929 Hardtop 1977
Mercedes SLC 180 Roadster 2018
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2023 7:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Shaun Rees dies whilst driving his 1949 Beetle home from show. Reply with quote

Terrible. Makes me think more about staring in the rear view mirror.
Maybe the car can be saved by someone in the community and continue living on in memoriam of Mr. Rees.
splitjunkie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2023 6:51 am    Post subject: Re: Shaun Rees dies whilst driving his 1949 Beetle home from show. Reply with quote

Terrible.

That's three splits that I have read about here being hit. The Blue Split that was hit and destroyed along with a single cab by some dumbass in a Tesla. The brown, very original split that was rear ended and pretty messed up in a multi car accident and now this. The drivers survived those other accidents, but a split doesn't offer much protection against modern vehicles, most of which are SUVs and trucks, driven by distracted drivers. Too many important phone calls and texts to pay attention to the road... Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

You know, a lot of these scratches will buff right out... Jerry Seinfeld
finster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2023 8:41 am    Post subject: Re: Shaun Rees dies whilst driving his 1949 Beetle home from show. Reply with quote

Such tragic news! A terrible shock for his family and friends. I hope that, in time, they will find some solace from the fact that he died whilst doing what he liked best.

nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect...
Stetoppingphoto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2023 8:13 am    Post subject: Re: Shaun Rees dies whilst driving his 1949 Beetle home from show. Reply with quote

Terrible news, my thoughts to go out to friends and family.
aa390392
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2023 12:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Shaun Rees dies whilst driving his 1949 Beetle home from show. Reply with quote

Sad news, I often think about the traffic now days, not to mention the inconsiderate drivers that own their roads. I prefer the roads less traveled when out on an outing.

55 ragtop
56 delux sedan
56 Kabriolet
sweden
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2023 8:17 am    Post subject: Re: Shaun Rees dies whilst driving his 1949 Beetle home from show. Reply with quote

Very sad news!! I did not know Shaun but had email contact with him about his Swedish 1949.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Martin Southwell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2023 3:09 am    Post subject: Re: Shaun Rees dies whilst driving his 1949 Beetle home from show. Reply with quote

Shaun's funeral will be held at 2.00pm on Friday 26th May at Treswithian Downs Crematorium, Camborne, TR14 0BL. His family would like any mourners who are able to bring along their vintage Volkswagen to form a procession to the Crematorium and hopefully form a guard of honour for him.

Any more details that I receive will be published here and on the club Facebook page. For those not familiar with the area this map may help https://goo.gl/maps/A6eazSUHN8LPKVPp8

Rod Sleigh - President - Historic Volkswagen Club
https://www.historicvws.org.uk/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: