Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Stuck valve, stranded in Pismo
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Skulptorchaz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2023 11:12 pm    Post subject: Stuck valve, stranded in Pismo Reply with quote

So, I tried to do a bucket list thing and drive my buggy from Indiana to Pismo Beach and back but it seems the round trip was not to be. I did make it to Pismo tho. I believe I have the intake valve on #1 sticking and no way to fix it here. I understand there are no VW shops here either - which kind of surprised me.
The short version of the story is, I was here a couple days and developed a bad oil leak. The pushrod tube of said valve had broke in two. A local buggy owner, and saint, Eric Essen, saved me with a borrowed tube. That was awesome for a couple days and several hundred road miles around the area. So today I finally went on the beach and idled up and down the beach - never in the dunes - and all of a sudden, I’m on 3 cylinders. I went back to where we are staying, found the same said pushrod dropped out of the rocker arm. I figured I goofed assembling it, (not sure how but…) so I put it back together and made sure it was right.
I made it about a block and I’m firing on 3 again. Brought it back, pulled the valve cover and the rod was in the rocker yet but very loose. By the time I got my wrenches out it was tight again! (????????) I’m guessing I have a sticky valve for some reason.
I don’t have access to a shop, torque wrench or spring compressor so it looks like my trip is a bust. I guess I will have to ship it home and fly back unless one of you guys have some ideas. Oh, and unfortunately, time is not on my side - I have back surgery on June 5th with doctors appointments the week before so I can not waste any time here trying to get it fixed anyway.
Any thoughts or ideas, are definitely welcome.
Thanks in advance.
Chaz
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MrGoodtunes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2023 11:00 am    Post subject: Re: Stuck valve, stranded in Pismo Reply with quote

I used to have a similar issue with #3 exhaust valve; sticking, pushrod coming out from rocker, and rocker shaft mounting nuts coming loose. What got me home was:

1. Rotate crankshaft until that valve is supposed to be closed
2. Tap on valve stem until it springs closed
3. Dip a piece of coat hanger wire into can of STP oil treatment
4. Apply drops of STP on valve stem, up near valve guide
5. Rotate crankshaft to get STP work'd in between stem and guide
6. Drive very slowly the whole way home

But I'd be only a few miles from home, nothing like your situation. The only thing better in your case is that #1 intake valve is probably the coolest of all 8 valves, versus mine being the hottest (and STP gets very gooy when over heated).

Edit - Maybe automatic transmission fluid would work better.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Skulptorchaz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2023 12:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Stuck valve, stranded in Pismo Reply with quote

Good info for short trips. Mine kinda isn’t.
Thanks!
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2023 1:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Stuck valve, stranded in Pismo Reply with quote

Rent a Uhaul 1 way and get a tow bar? You could get home, and with the car. It should be pretty easy to rig up at least the brake lights and you can use your buggy parking lights for the tail light function. Then a note to your future self, provide the buggy with a flat 4 trailer wiring connection up front.
Skulptorchaz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2023 2:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Stuck valve, stranded in Pismo Reply with quote

My buggy is set up that way and I brought a tow bar with me just in case. Bad thing is, they do not rent pickups or vans for the long trips. Cargo truck is 2300.00. Shipping is cheaper in the long run.
Thanks!
Skulptorchaz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2023 2:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Stuck valve, stranded in Pismo Reply with quote

I may still have a stuck valve but, I DO a have a broken push rod adjuster. Anybody around Pismo that can help me out?
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2023 4:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Stuck valve, stranded in Pismo Reply with quote

In the back of my head there has been this really hideous valve stem lapping idea. Run piston 1 to TDC and use a small engine valve spring compressor (the kind the directly compresses the coils together) to remove the spring and get at the valve stem. Now grab the stem with a small drill and give the stem a few drops of oil. Have a buddy run piston 1 toward bottom dead center and while spinning the valve move it up and down over the range of travel. This is a ugly way to free the valve in the guide in the range of travel in any point in its rotation.

Trying this with an exhaust valve would scare me, but intakes have their own special cooling system (intake stroke), handy 'cause you are trying to hog the guide a little loose. After some relieving have the crank moved back to cylinder 1 at TDC and reverse the steps above. Help may be needed, or even some compressed air to hold the valve closed while the piston is at BDC.

When you get home pull the head! Clean and check that valve stem. My idea uses the valve stem as a grinder for the valve guide. A good cleaning is the very least that deserves. It likely trashed the valve guide. Shit, I shouldn't even post this idea but I have been poor and done ugly things to get a screwed car home at no cost. I haven't tried this one!
YDBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2023 8:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Stuck valve, stranded in Pismo Reply with quote

had that happen at Pismo once a long time ago.

I was able to pry the spring retainer out with a couple screw drivers and get the spring off to begin the tapping and lubing process for the stuck valve. It took a couple hours on the beach there, but was able to get it to work and drive back to Fresno, which is only a few hours away...not close to the distance you need to travel.
Maybe you would be able to rent a tow vehicle and head south to a VW parts garage?

Sorry that I can't be of better assistance.
'64 baja
'60 dune buggy
'73 Personenkraftwagen Type 182 "Thing"
vanderjw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2023 2:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Stuck valve, stranded in Pismo Reply with quote

Buy a cheap socket set at the nearest chinese tool store. Have an old school parts store overnight a reman head . bolt it on at the campground/motel and then you will have a great story to tell. time to get savage!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: