Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Inside scraper madness
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vdubjiunkie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2023 5:55 am    Post subject: Inside scraper madness Reply with quote

Hey all,

I'm doing the door seals on my '64 notch, and yes it's challenging, but it's not like I'm pulling out the really choice turns of phrase.

That said, I see no earthly way that the clips on these bus scrapers, which also kind of work for Type 3s are supposed to securely lock into position, and not pop out forever again and again.

I have adjusted the arc between the end of each clip as it bends toward the "straight" piece between each clip, so they lay more flat, but it really doesn't seem to be enough.

One side of each clip sticks up more than the other side, which seems to work against the idea that they would lock into position.

Has anybody else worked with these, and maybe have a tip for what it is that I'm missing?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

"It Is Difficult to Get a Man to Understand Something When His Salary Depends Upon His Not Understanding It" - Upton Sinclair
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2023 7:57 am    Post subject: Re: Inside scraper madness Reply with quote

Do you still have the original wire from the OG one? The OG ones always hold way better than this cross over bay window bus stuff available now.

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2023 8:12 am    Post subject: Re: Inside scraper madness Reply with quote

yeah gotta re-use OG wires in the new rubber
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2023 12:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Inside scraper madness Reply with quote

Erik G wrote:
yeah gotta re-use OG wires in the new rubber

Yup, you gotta use the type 3 wires and cut new slots in the rubber for the wire to align with the slots in the door. It's kind of fiddly work, but they can work. Just remember that the bus rubber is longer and has to be cut down too. I cut it at the wing window. The outer seal is a real PIA to do.
I think I've got pics on page 18 of my 71 Notch rebuild of doing the doors and seals. The link in my signature will take you to the build thread.
I hope this helps.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
vdubjiunkie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2023 8:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Inside scraper madness Reply with quote

Funny story. I’m a recovering hoarder, and I actually threw away my inside scrapers some time ago. However, when I pulled my outside scraper the other day, I retained the clips from that.

I’m not sure if they are the same ones used on the inside scraper, but they certainly do fit the holes. They are now swimming in evaporust!

"It Is Difficult to Get a Man to Understand Something When His Salary Depends Upon His Not Understanding It" - Upton Sinclair
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2023 9:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Inside scraper madness Reply with quote

Those clips are just for the outer. Here are some OG scrapers with the wire on them.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/search.php...ton=Search

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
andybla
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2023 12:36 am    Post subject: Re: Inside scraper madness Reply with quote

also used my og wire, much better, new wire sucks
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2023 4:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Inside scraper madness Reply with quote

vdubjiunkie wrote:
Funny story. I’m a recovering hoarder, and I actually threw away my inside scrapers some time ago. However, when I pulled my outside scraper the other day, I retained the clips from that.

I’m not sure if they are the same ones used on the inside scraper, but they certainly do fit the holes. They are now swimming in evaporust!

You want to hang onto those as they fit the door very well.
I believe the bus wires could be used, but you'll want to check them against the slots in the door.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: