Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Can someone confirm preheat hose routing? I'm confused...
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vintage_mpg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2023 4:59 am    Post subject: Can someone confirm preheat hose routing? I'm confused... Reply with quote

My car was missing the preheat hose when I picked it up, so I acquired one.... But now I'm confused on just where it needs to attach!

I see a small hole in some of the tin on the driver's side near the pushrod tubes; is this where it needs to be? Am I still missing some hardware?

Where should this this attach on the underside?

Here's what I'm seeing:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RWK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2023 5:19 am    Post subject: Re: Can someone confirm preheat hose routing? I'm confused... Reply with quote

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2455515
This part will work
62 Type 241-378 025 178 530
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hazetguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2023 5:19 am    Post subject: Re: Can someone confirm preheat hose routing? I'm confused... Reply with quote

you are missing three pieces.
there is a short metal pipe that passes through the lower tin. it secures to the exhaust stud. the lower end of the hose goes on the pipe, and secures with a spring clip (see below). check the samba classifieds for that pipe.

there should be a rubber grommet where the hose passes through the rear engine tin. without this grommet, the hose will be cut by the tin as you drive and the engine vibrates.
https://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=113119585A

there should be spring clips that secure the hose to the lower pipe and air cleaner.
https://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=113255737

Last edited by hazetguy on Wed May 24, 2023 5:23 am; edited 1 time in total
diablosandwich
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2023 5:22 am    Post subject: Re: Can someone confirm preheat hose routing? I'm confused... Reply with quote

hazetguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2023 5:25 am    Post subject: Re: Can someone confirm preheat hose routing? I'm confused... Reply with quote

just for reference, the preheat pipe goes on *after* the muffler is installed, not between the muffler flange and head/gasket.
vintage_mpg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2023 5:29 am    Post subject: Re: Can someone confirm preheat hose routing? I'm confused... Reply with quote

This place is amazing!

Thank you so much for the details and photos; I'll start poking around and see if I can chase down that lower pipe. Gotta be an extra floating around here somewhere...

You guys are AWESOME!
pantone149
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2023 7:32 am    Post subject: Re: Can someone confirm preheat hose routing? I'm confused... Reply with quote

And nobody once nagged you about having a fuel filter in the engine bay. Hmmmmmm.
vintage_mpg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2023 7:47 am    Post subject: Re: Can someone confirm preheat hose routing? I'm confused... Reply with quote

Uh oh.

Is that a big no no?

At least it's not a glass fuel filter! Those seem to get blasted on every single forum I've been involved with!
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2023 7:58 am    Post subject: Re: Can someone confirm preheat hose routing? I'm confused... Reply with quote

Samba classifieds do not show just that pipe at the moment. Check with popular Bug parts sellers there; they probably have one. Or you can fab one from a thin wall pipe, flat stock, and a hose clamp.
vintage_mpg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2023 8:14 am    Post subject: Re: Can someone confirm preheat hose routing? I'm confused... Reply with quote

Is this the one?

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2563467
Stockholm VW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2023 8:58 am    Post subject: Re: Can someone confirm preheat hose routing? I'm confused... Reply with quote

vintage_mpg wrote:
Is this the one?

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2563467

Yeah, looks like it. My ‘66 bug was also missing this piece. I found one here and the install was a breeze. Remove one nut on exhaust, slip on the pipe, reattach the nut and tighten to spec., slip on hose with clamp. Done! 15 minutes max. 👍

Now, snap up that piece before it’s gone. Lol
wdfifteen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2023 5:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Can someone confirm preheat hose routing? I'm confused... Reply with quote

Good info in this thread:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=10031723&highlight=#10031723
wdfifteen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2023 5:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Can someone confirm preheat hose routing? I'm confused... Reply with quote

diablosandwich wrote:

That pipe is the part you're missing. Note that it goes on after the muffler is installed and points more up than down. Not sure what is going on in that picture.
vintage_mpg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2023 8:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Can someone confirm preheat hose routing? I'm confused... Reply with quote

I'm still waiting on my spring clamps, but the hose is looking good!

Genuinely appreciate everyone's input on helping me put the ol gal back together correctly. I couldn't have done it without ya!

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: