Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

where to install the fuel filter
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ricobiker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 7:51 am    Post subject: where to install the fuel filter Reply with quote

1970 vw bus 71 1600 dual port, im replacing all the fuel lines the PO put a inline fuel filter between the fuel pump and the carb, is that right? or should it be between the hard line from the gas tank and the fuel pump?
thanks Rico
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
silverside61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

for many years the fuel filter was put between the pump and the carb. in the past years the general concensus was to move the filter outside of the engine bay, to prevent some risk of fire. so if you move your filter under the vehicle, so it is between the fank and the metal line thru the firewall tin, that would be preferable.
kevin77westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Put it somewhere not in the engine bay. Like right under the tank or just before it goes through the engine tin.. Lots of volks put it between the pump the the carb but its not the best place given the possibility of an engine fire..
calebmelvin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Between firewall and tank. (Use the correct filter though)
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I prefer locating it just after the tank outlet, just ahead of the tin is also just over the heat exchanger dump and #3 exhaust pipe, pretty warm there.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
ned
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Put it where it is most convenient for you.If you put it between the pump and carb. be sure to use the proper sized hose clamps.
TomWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got German Supply's kit. Has all of the hoses, clamps, hardline through firewall and grommet and filter and diagram. A good deal.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
calebmelvin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TomWesty wrote:
I got German Supply's kit. Has all of the hoses, clamps, hardline through firewall and grommet and filter and diagram. A good deal.

I forgot Scott has a kit, nice!

http://www.germansupply.com/home/customer/product.php?productid=17152&cat=409&page=1
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no qualms against having a METAL fuel filter with CLAMPS in the engine bay. The system is already dangerous as heck because of the high tank location and the use of rubber hoses running to the carb, the addition of a metal fuel filter isn't going to add much of anything to the already large fire risk. There is a good argument for putting the filter before the pump when and if there is not a screen in the tank to keep large pieces of sediment from reaching the pump.

Pros for putting a METAL filter in the engine bay.

*Very easy to access and change
*Less risk of lost fuel and attendant fire when changing filter
*Gives carb(s) protection from pieces of failing fuel pump

Cons for putting a METAL filter in the engine bay.

*Does not protect fuel pump
*If you fail to occasionally change the filter it will rust through causing fuel spillage onto engine

To reduce the risk of fire use fire resistant AN fuel lines or marine fuel lines, and wire the inlet tube to the carb.
Sawsalesman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does Scott make a kit for the Type 1 motor? I was thinking that his kit is for the Type 4.
calebmelvin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sawsalesman wrote:
Does Scott make a kit for the Type 1 motor? I was thinking that his kit is for the Type 4.

Both, the link I posted above is actually for the type 1.
Sawsalesman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, I see that now. Thanks for the link.
Tom Powell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have my own opinions about filters and where to place them.
My opinions differ from other, more experienced and knowledgeable Samba members, but I have my reasons for doing it my way and I've never had a fire, but I do carry two extinguishers one by the driver's seat and one by the passengers seat, and I know exactly what I will do if I should have a fire.

I live in Hawaii and my camper is in California. I use it twice a year for two months at a time.

Once I got bad fuel at a station. It was probably from their gasoline tank that had been filled with diesel from the delivery truck. The engine would run at high rpm but would die at low rpm and then start easily after a few minutes. I struggled with diagnosing the problem for several hours before I finally pumped some fuel into my empty glass piss jar and saw the separation between the two fuels. After draining my fuel tank and putting in real gasoline the engine ran fine.

For this reason, and to prevent tank sediment from reaching the pump. I want a large clear filter between the tank and pump. And I want that filter to be convenient to see, so it is in the engine bay on the left-side no-battery tray. The rubber fuel line that comes from the tank connects to a brass barbed fitting in the firewall hole and a rubber hose connects to the other end of the barbed fitting to the observation filter. The barbed fitting in the hole prevents chafing on a hose.

I also have a glass in line filter between the fuel pump and carburetor which replaces the OG plastic filter. I want this filter to prevent any particles that might pass the pump from reaching the carburetor. And when I start my engine after six months of sitting idle I want to see fuel in that filter before I kill the battery. And i want to see the color of the fuel.

All hoses are clamped and the system is inspected before the semiannual startup.

If this was a daily driver and not vacation transportation I might use a different system. But a system that does not leak is what we are are trying to achieve. And proper installation and maintenance will minimize the fire risks.

I have my reasons and I'm sure others will differ.

Aloha
tp
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Paslode235
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The way I have always taught to do by official VW service mechanics from the 60's and 70's is always put the filter BEFORE the pump. This way all the gunk from the tank will not go through your pump and clog the pump. They said this was a common problem. If you also want to put one between the pump and the carburetor that is fine, but it would be over kill.

Mint Green 1965 Beetle - "Misty"
White 1974 Westy - "The Fig Rig"
Yellow 1972 Super Beetle - "Jasper" RIP
Black 2001 Jetta wagon - "Gadget"
Red 2004 Jetta TDI - "Lucy"
Desertbusman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Question- Where did VW locate the original stock inline filter? Razz
For info, if you put one in after the pump it is presurized. Any leak or hose connection problem if it doesn't blow apart it will spray fuel. And generally right all over the ignition system or the sparking generator. If it's between the tank and pump there isn't pressure and it will drip. No matter where you have it located it's apt to drip down on the exhaust. Wink
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I have no qualms against having a METAL fuel filter with CLAMPS in the engine bay. The system is already dangerous as heck because of the high tank location and the use of rubber hoses running to the carb, the addition of a metal fuel filter isn't going to add much of anything to the already large fire risk. There is a good argument for putting the filter before the pump when and if there is not a screen in the tank to keep large pieces of sediment from reaching the pump.

Pros for putting a METAL filter in the engine bay.

*Very easy to access and change
*Less risk of lost fuel and attendant fire when changing filter
*Gives carb(s) protection from pieces of failing fuel pump

Cons for putting a METAL filter in the engine bay.

*Does not protect fuel pump
*If you fail to occasionally change the filter it will rust through causing fuel spillage onto engine

To reduce the risk of fire use fire resistant AN fuel lines or marine fuel lines, and wire the inlet tube to the carb.

x2

There are advantages and disadvantages of both. I do agree that a metal fuel filter is a good choice. In a mechanical pump there is a little disk that acts as a valve. If a piece of debris gets between it and the seat the pump won't pump. This and less risk of fire is a strong argument for under the bus. However a mechanical pump has less suction than a rotary FI pump and there is no return line to keep sediment stirred up so there is more risk debris plugging the filter. IMHO, each person needs to decide what works best for them and go with that. In the Los Angeles basin in the 1970's if you took your VW to most dealers it was going in the engine bay. Can they rub, wear through and leak - yes, I've seen it. Would you see it under the car, unlikely. Does it remind you each time you look at the engine if it is in the engine bay? People could probably take either side of this and argue all night. Mine is under the car but it is on a 77 FI bus just where the engineers put it. It was on the inside of the engine bay in my 1971 bay and the dealer put it there. It had no filter when we bought it.
SoFlo1970BusTypeII
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2023 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TomWesty wrote:

My chance you have a photo of that diagram you can post?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: