Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Is this bad?
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
70bus Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2023 10:07 am    Post subject: Is this bad? Reply with quote

cuz this seems bad.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

LOL. This bus is gonna kill me.
"If Von Dutch was alive, he'd walk in there with a pistol and shoot these people."
-Robert Williams
silkvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2023 4:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Is this bad? Reply with quote

Just consider it a learning experience.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=641871&highlight=
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2023 4:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Is this bad? Reply with quote

70bus wrote:
LOL. This bus is gonna kill me.

Only if it falls off the jacks on you. Doesn't look likes it's gonna be moving for a while.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
70bus Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2023 5:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Is this bad? Reply with quote

The bus rolled smoothly, so ya figure, "gosh, the tranny and RGBs at least are okay!" Also got a call today that my heads were toast, and needed new ones plus all related machine work.

At this point, I am pretty sure that next the gates are going to spontaneously combust, and the bed roll up like the lid of a sardine can...

At least this extra work gives me more time to paint the underside and start wiring work.
"If Von Dutch was alive, he'd walk in there with a pistol and shoot these people."
-Robert Williams
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2023 6:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Is this bad? Reply with quote

70bus wrote:
cuz this seems bad.

LOL.

That happened to me on a long trip. I cleaned everything in gas, put the inner race back on, made a gasket out of a brown paper grocery bag, and went 43,000 more miles like that. I even think it may have been only the outer race I put back on.
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2023 7:00 am    Post subject: Re: Is this bad? Reply with quote

When my RGB bearings went bad in my 61 went bad I started hearing/ feeling it on the way north home from a Kelley Park show in the late 90s. I started thinking how long till I’m in the tow radius. Made it 600 miles home with the sloppy bearings getting worse, and the thunk was clearly noticeable when I pulled in my driveway in Oly, WA. Took it apart the next day, it had some bad bearings. Also, The groove for the circlip had smoothed out, so I had to replace the axle shaft as well.
It was a $25 swap meet big nut tranny, with new brake parts a few years before, so I had gotten all my money out of it. It had a funny woo woo noise at certain speeds, too, so I got the center rebuildt when the RGB bearing went.

Anyhow, while I expect your bus rolled, I also expect the bearing slop was noticeable.

Bottom line, install parts to replace the bad ones, and carry on. You can put it back together and drive to OCTO.

Very Happy

Here’s some parts from my 61. Took the pics before I chucked them when I moved, some years after they failed. One bearing the other half was stuck in the RGB cover. The ball bearings fell out when the cover came off.
Still have that rebuildt tranny in it.

Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2023 12:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Is this bad? Reply with quote

Replace all of the bearings on that side. With that much metal chunks whirring around in there, the other bearings most likely have been damaged.

Just might be a good time to have the transaxle rebuilt now, and perhaps higher geared.
Alan Brase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2023 1:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Is this bad? Reply with quote

Clara wrote:
When my RGB bearings went bad in my 61 went bad I started hearing/ feeling it on the way north home from a Kelley Park show in the late 90s. ...
It was a $25 swap meet big nut tranny, with new brake parts a few years before, so I had gotten all my money out of it. It had a funny woo woo noise at certain speeds, too, so I got the center rebuildt when the RGB bearing went. ...

If that was a big nut RGB, they use a roller on the output side. Pretty sure it is the same part as a bay window bearing. An incredibly strong part. Ball bearings are much less durable, but one needs a ball bearing or pair of conical rollers (Timken patent) to fix the location axially (in or out on the axis).
I often suspect water intrusion/ rust on our old swing axle vehicles, especially if they ever get water into the swing axle boots.
water will ruin bearings very quickly and ball bearings worse than rollers. I think water will settle to the bottom of the RGB's or gearbox and can be drained out or tested for first, if you suspect it.
I'd guess your wow wow sound to be pinion bearing wear. certain point it is silent. too much or too little throttle will result in whining. A good ring and pinion guy (or gal) can fix that. Did they tell you how they fixed it?
I've never done a split VW gearbox, but my 56 single cab gearbox is in the line of projects.
To New owners: 1969 doublecab, 1971 Dormobile
Vanagons:
80 P27 Westy JUL 1979, 3rd oldest known US
83 1.6TD Vanagon, 87 Wolfie Westy daily driver, swap meet home
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2023 7:10 am    Post subject: Re: Is this bad? Reply with quote

Alan Brase wrote:
Clara wrote:
When my RGB bearings went bad in my 61 went bad I started hearing/ feeling it on the way north home from a Kelley Park show in the late 90s. ...
It was a $25 swap meet big nut tranny, with new brake parts a few years before, so I had gotten all my money out of it. It had a funny woo woo noise at certain speeds, too, so I got the center rebuildt when the RGB bearing went. ...

[img]https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/437576.jpg/img]

If that was a big nut RGB, they use a roller on the output side. Pretty sure it is the same part as a bay window bearing. An incredibly strong part. Ball bearings are much less durable, but one needs a ball bearing or pair of conical rollers (Timken patent) to fix the location axially (in or out on the axis).
I often suspect water intrusion/ rust on our old swing axle vehicles, especially if they ever get water into the swing axle boots.
water will ruin bearings very quickly and ball bearings worse than rollers. I think water will settle to the bottom of the RGB's or gearbox and can be drained out or tested for first, if you suspect it.
I'd guess your wow wow sound to be pinion bearing wear. certain point it is silent. too much or too little throttle will result in whining. A good ring and pinion guy (or gal) can fix that. Did they tell you how they fixed it?
I've never done a split VW gearbox, but my 56 single cab gearbox is in the line of projects.

Yes, it is a big nut in my 61. It got all new bearings.
The rust is the picture was from sitting on the shelf since I removed it from from the bus.
The noise in the center section went away after the rebuild. I did not ask what that was from. The rebuilder wasn’t perfect, it jumps out of second under load. 😕
I did change the oil when I first got it as a used tranny, and after 30k miles. It had a lot of brass in the oil.

Getting a used tranny is playing the tranny lottery. It rolling does not mean it is good. Getting a sitting bus going, you just don’t know. If the seller tells you it’s good, it could still be bad. Lol. It could be a howler. Or they could say it’s bad and it’s fine and just needs a shift linkage coupler. Or be fine except for no reverse.

I haven’t tended to find water in the trannies through.
Huetti_1989
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2023 5:33 am    Post subject: Re: Is this bad? Reply with quote

once the bearing gets stuck it will destroy the shaft, but that looks good?

so change the bearings and everything is fine again!
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=757182
My 1954 Deutsche Bundespost Barndoor:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=621802
My 1961 SO34 Flipseat Westfalia:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=716285
My 1991 Westfalia California:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=650751
Alan Brase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2023 12:40 am    Post subject: Re: Is this bad? Reply with quote

So, does anyone know of a modern guide to rebuilding an early split gearbox? I've worked on very many different kinds of gearboxes, just not this one. I know Rick Long had some guides/ videos some years ago and he was pretty good with explaining things.
I'll be taking my 1956 box apart pretty soon, just to make sure it is okay. Never driven since 1961, as far as I know.
To New owners: 1969 doublecab, 1971 Dormobile
Vanagons:
80 P27 Westy JUL 1979, 3rd oldest known US
83 1.6TD Vanagon, 87 Wolfie Westy daily driver, swap meet home
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: