Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

NHL Fans?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 102, 103, 104, 105  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2023 7:05 pm    Post subject: Re: NHL Fans? Reply with quote

Xevin wrote:
cdennisg wrote:
Well, looks like I won't have to wrestle with sitting inside watching hockey on nice spring evenings this year.

Vegas, Dallas, Florida, and Carolina. Though I like a few of the players involved, it is really hard to have any interest watching hot weather teams play hockey. I'll watch the consolidated highlights the next day, and likely the important cup games.

Those American expansion teams brought upon more opportunities for Canadians, Europeans, and Americans to make a living playing the awesome sport of hockey. Embrace and enjoy the games Very Happy

But with the weather we are having. I can’t blame you for enjoying the outdoors instead of millionaires with missing teeth on a TV Wink Cool

I understand the business end of this, I have just never been able wrap my head around playing hockey in a place where it does not even snow. Then again, the Arizona Coyotes are about to leave the state after a couple decades of failure at the business, and Atlanta has had pro teams come and go due to lack of interest, too.

I'll pick a few players to track, and enjoy my evenings outdoors for the next few weeks.
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2023 8:45 pm    Post subject: Re: NHL Fans? Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:
Xevin wrote:
cdennisg wrote:
Well, looks like I won't have to wrestle with sitting inside watching hockey on nice spring evenings this year.

Vegas, Dallas, Florida, and Carolina. Though I like a few of the players involved, it is really hard to have any interest watching hot weather teams play hockey. I'll watch the consolidated highlights the next day, and likely the important cup games.

Those American expansion teams brought upon more opportunities for Canadians, Europeans, and Americans to make a living playing the awesome sport of hockey. Embrace and enjoy the games Very Happy

But with the weather we are having. I can’t blame you for enjoying the outdoors instead of millionaires with missing teeth on a TV Wink Cool

I understand the business end of this, I have just never been able wrap my head around playing hockey in a place where it does not even snow. Then again, the Arizona Coyotes are about to leave the state after a couple decades of failure at the business, and Atlanta has had pro teams come and go due to lack of interest, too.

I'll pick a few players to track, and enjoy my evenings outdoors for the next few weeks.

If we talk about teams coming and going, then one must bring up Winnipeg Jets deep in Hockey country. Oh that’s right they went to Phoenix and Atlanta went to Winnipeg Think Think

This would be a better and not so douchey conversation in person with a beer. I know you know Hockey history.

This has nothing to do with you.
Who I am tired of is, NHL Hockey fan lamenting that the last Canadian team to win La Coupe Stanley was The Habs 30 years ago and point out most hockey players are from Canada who play in US. Whatever we get it. I think it would be neat for a Canadian home team to win but I’m sure more hockey players would rather have opportunities to play in the NHL than romanticize Canada wining Lord Stanley’s Cup. Unless you play in Canada that is. We should just go back to the original 6, better odds for a Canada home team to win Wink That’s my hockey rant Laughing

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2023 9:28 pm    Post subject: Re: NHL Fans? Reply with quote

Xevin wrote:
cdennisg wrote:
Xevin wrote:
cdennisg wrote:

If we talk about teams coming and going, then one must bring up Winnipeg Jets deep in Hockey country. Oh that’s right they went to Phoenix and Atlanta went to Winnipeg Think Think

This would be a better and not so douchey conversation in person with a beer. I know you know Hockey history.

This has nothing to do with you.
Who I am tired of is, NHL Hockey fan lamenting that the last Canadian team to win La Coupe Stanley was The Habs 30 years ago and point out most hockey players are from Canada who play in US. Whatever we get it. I think it would be neat for a Canadian home team to win but I’m sure more hockey players would rather have opportunities to play in the NHL than romanticize Canada wining Lord Stanley’s Cup. Unless you play in Canada that is. We should just go back to the original 6, better odds for a Canada home team to win Wink That’s my hockey rant Laughing

Don't forget the Minnesota North Stars moving to Dallas. The Quebec Nordiques moving to Denver, the Hartford Whalers moving to Carolina, etc. It is the business of entertainment, and the product must be presented where the consumer wants it.

On the flip side, the NHL makes it very difficult to watch the games, unless you spend $200 a month on cable TV. I live in Idaho, and would like to watch some Kraken games, but I am blacked out of that market with my ESPN+ subscription. I am also blacked out of games in Colorado and Vegas, with the NHL adding blackouts as Vegas and Seattle came into the league. I am even blacked out of watching the Kraken play in any other city on the continent. I have watched exactly two regular season Kraken games this year, when I happened to be in a hotel room. Makes it pretty damn tough to be a fan of that new team.

I wish I could watch live WHL and AHL games. I'd happily pay for a streaming subscription, and ignore the NHL BS.
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2023 9:42 pm    Post subject: Re: NHL Fans? Reply with quote

Yup. You and I and remember all those NHL moves. Speaking of Seattle Kraken. Holy hell. Those tickets to a regular season game cost a small fortune. The Portland Winterhawks are fine to watch live but the WHL is just not the same experience as NHL for me.

Clatter wrote:

SGKent wrote:
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2023 10:02 pm    Post subject: Re: NHL Fans? Reply with quote

Xevin wrote:
Yup. You and I and remember all those NHL moves. Speaking of Seattle Kraken. Holy hell. Those tickets to a regular season game cost a small fortune. The Portland Winterhawks are fine to watch live but the WHL is just not the same experience as NHL for me.

Just another road block to becoming a Kraken fan. I've only seen one NHL game in person, up in Calgary vs the MN Wild. As I recall, the seats cost about $75 each in the early 2000's. It was a great experience, but I'd be OK with watching high school hockey again, just like I did when growing up in small town Minnesota.

My Mother-in-law winters in Thousand Palms, CA, about 2 miles from the new arena where the Kraken farm team plays (can't recall the name, but they are in the playoffs right now). She has been trying to get me down to that godforsaken place to go see a game. Maybe next winter.
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2023 10:40 pm    Post subject: Re: NHL Fans? Reply with quote

Cdennisg. I want to drop this nugget of West Coast NHL hockey history you might not have known growing up in Minnesota. More moving of teams. It’s official. Oakland, California must be the worst sports city. They lost top tier league Hockey, football, basketball, and soon Baseball. Shocked (I grew up in Nor-Cal)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/California_Golden_Seals

Clatter wrote:

SGKent wrote:
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2023 3:17 am    Post subject: Re: NHL Fans? Reply with quote

It’s hard to have a sports franchise when they steal the net off the goal during a period….
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2023 6:15 am    Post subject: Re: NHL Fans? Reply with quote

Xevin wrote:
Cdennisg. I want to drop this nugget of West Coast NHL hockey history you might not have known growing up in Minnesota. More moving of teams. It’s official. Oakland, California must be the worst sports city. They lost top tier league Hockey, football, basketball, and soon Baseball. Shocked (I grew up in Nor-Cal)

I recall seeing a brief story about that when the Raiders left. Must be a lovely place to live.

Another hockey history tidbit, The Seattle Metropolitans were the first US winners of Lord Stanley's cup. In 1917.
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2023 7:28 am    Post subject: Re: NHL Fans? Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:
Xevin wrote:

I recall seeing a brief story about that when the Raiders left. Must be a lovely place to live.

Another hockey history tidbit, The Seattle Metropolitans were the first US winners of Lord Stanley's cup. In 1917.

That’s a cool piece of trivia. Thanks!

Clatter wrote:

SGKent wrote:
Jon Schmid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2023 1:12 pm    Post subject: Re: NHL Fans? Reply with quote

Xevin wrote:

My understanding is that the ticket prices are expected to help offset the cost of building the arena. Not being from Seattle, I don't know how true that is.
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2023 10:34 pm    Post subject: Re: NHL Fans? Reply with quote

For anyone looking to find the best hockey analysis, and just a very fun guy overall, look no further than Shannon, AKA The Hockey Guy. I discovered his channel several years ago, and have not bothered with Sportsnet or the NHL network ever since.

Here is his take on the history of the Arizona Coyotes franchise. I have been watching his daily previews, news of the day, and game reviews for a few seasons now and I have seen nothing better.

Link

cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2023 3:20 pm    Post subject: Re: NHL Fans? Reply with quote

Just caught the latter half of game 2 with Vegas/Dallas. Nice come-from-behind OT win for Vegas. My wife and I talked about it, and we decided we would root for Vegas, since it isn't Dallas and we like Phil Kessel. I admit I like Pavelski on Dallas, too, but I feel like I gotta pick sides. She despises Vegas as a city (attended college there) but dislikes Dallas as a franchise even more.

Back East, I have to go with the Hurricanes. I have always liked Rod Brindamour, and am mystified by teams named after natural disasters. I also find it easy to root against any team with a player named Tkachuk.

THE Eastern finals have been a real battle, with both games going OT so far.
Teeroy Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2023 5:33 pm    Post subject: Re: NHL Fans? Reply with quote

After Seattle's loss last round I was hoping to see Vegas and Carolina play for the cup, but Carolina is in a bit of a hole at the moment. Great seeing you Saturday Corey!
ARR #3
www.autosportsnorthwest.org
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2023 5:43 pm    Post subject: Re: NHL Fans? Reply with quote

Teeroy wrote:
After Seattle's loss last round I was hoping to see Vegas and Carolina play for the cup, but Carolina is in a bit of a hole at the moment. Great seeing you Saturday Corey!

Good to see you, too Troy. It's been awhile. Next winter, I have plans to get to a few Chiefs games. Been way too long since I have seen a live game.
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2023 4:09 pm    Post subject: Re: NHL Fans? Reply with quote

So, FLA is in for the East. Could Vegas sweep the west?
Teeroy Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2023 10:01 pm    Post subject: Re: NHL Fans? Reply with quote

They could, but they didn't
ARR #3
www.autosportsnorthwest.org
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2023 10:03 pm    Post subject: Re: NHL Fans? Reply with quote

Teeroy wrote:
They could, but they didn't

Nope. Damn close though. On to the next...
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2023 1:02 pm    Post subject: Re: NHL Fans? Reply with quote

OK, so there it is. Vegas wins the Stanley Cup in 2023. Not a single game was available for streaming or on broadcast TV.

Thanks Gary.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2023 2:30 pm    Post subject: Re: NHL Fans? Reply with quote

I just can’t do ice hockey… in June.
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2023 3:28 pm    Post subject: Re: NHL Fans? Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
I just can’t do ice hockey… in June.

Especially in Miami or Vegas. Maybe Edmonton?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 102, 103, 104, 105  Next
Jump to:
Page 103 of 105

Jump to: