Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rear Vents
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mox7nix
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2023 8:18 am    Post subject: Rear Vents Reply with quote

I'm restoring a 67 coupe. Getting the rubber seal into the vent window trim is difficult to say the least.

How do I get the rubber seal into the trim piece?

It doesn't slide in of course. Does it just take patience and a screwdriver?

Can't find an answer anywhere.

Thanks for helping.
Era Vulgaris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2023 12:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear Vents Reply with quote

Don't use a screwdriver on a seal. You'll damage it.
Use plastic seal/trim install tools
https://www.harborfreight.com/trim-and-molding-tool-set-5-piece-64126.html

Previously owned:
98 Porsche Boxster, silver, 2.5L -- 67 Karmann Ghia, Black, 1500sp -- 98 BMW Z3, Atlanta Blue Metallic, 2.8L I6 -- 75 Porsche 914, Laguna Blue, 2270cc -- 72 Porsche 914, Signal Orange, 1.7 FI -- 74 Karmann Ghia, Black, 1600dp -- 74 Triumph TR6 with O.D., sapphire blue
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mox7nix
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2023 6:07 am    Post subject: Re: Rear Vents Reply with quote

Thanks....I still need patience though, right?
Era Vulgaris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2023 2:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear Vents Reply with quote

mox7nix wrote:
Thanks....I still need patience though, right?

In large quantities. In fact almost all the seals on these cars require more patience and perseverance than anything.

Also this is a good trick from jeffrey8164 for the sharp bend

jeffrey8164 wrote:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I used WCM seals.
I put a length of fuel breather hose in it so the bend doesn’t kink up.

Previously owned:
98 Porsche Boxster, silver, 2.5L -- 67 Karmann Ghia, Black, 1500sp -- 98 BMW Z3, Atlanta Blue Metallic, 2.8L I6 -- 75 Porsche 914, Laguna Blue, 2270cc -- 72 Porsche 914, Signal Orange, 1.7 FI -- 74 Karmann Ghia, Black, 1600dp -- 74 Triumph TR6 with O.D., sapphire blue
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mox7nix
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2023 1:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear Vents Reply with quote

Thanks for the great pictures....this should reallly help.....
jeffrey8164 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2023 10:19 am    Post subject: Re: Rear Vents Reply with quote

My greatest contribution to humanity.

“Let he that is without oil throw the first rod”
(Compression 8.7:1)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
3foldfolly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2023 6:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear Vents Reply with quote

It can be installed solo but is easier if 2 people install with one person inside the car. Both installers working together using firm trim sticks. Start at the bottom edge at the divider bar and work your way back then up through the curve and then forward to the divider bar. The weatherstrips are usually an inch or so too long and the extra length will need to be trimmed off. Make sure your not stretching it length wise while installing or it may retract lengthwise after install. If you're weatherstrips have the curve molded into them you may not need to add the hose. It's a bitch like most Ghia body and trim related tasks but persistence and patience will get you there.
mox7nix
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2023 8:44 am    Post subject: Re: Rear Vents Reply with quote

Appreciate you!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: