Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New doghouse fan shroud , what holes do I need to plug?
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
zerotofifty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2022 7:11 pm    Post subject: Re: New doghouse fan shroud , what holes do I need to plug? Reply with quote

VWFIXER wrote:
None need to be plugged, there is no data to support any claims that anything needs plugged in that shroud. In fact the shroud has built in features for the event that a heater hose should blow off. But do as the masses tell you to.

I heard you really dont need all them fan blades either. You can remove most of the blades and it will be ok, this will cut power robbing losses as the fan will be easier to spin with few blades. VW waaaay over designed the fan, so rip those excess blades out with a pair of vice grips!
Another old racer speed trick which can also increase fuel mileage, which is so important these days is to oil the pulleys, this allows lots of belt slip so your fan robs even less horse
power. Quicker track times, and better economy around town!

Do it differently, because!
VWFIXER
Banned

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2022 7:36 pm    Post subject: Re: New doghouse fan shroud , what holes do I need to plug? Reply with quote

zerotofifty wrote:
VWFIXER wrote:
None need to be plugged, there is no data to support any claims that anything needs plugged in that shroud. In fact the shroud has built in features for the event that a heater hose should blow off. But do as the masses tell you to.

I heard you really dont need all them fan blades either. You can remove most of the blades and it will be ok, this will cut power robbing losses as the fan will be easier to spin with few blades. VW waaaay over designed the fan, so rip those excess blades out with a pair of vice grips!
Another old racer speed trick which can also increase fuel mileage, which is so important these days is to oil the pulleys, this allows lots of belt slip so your fan robs even less horse
power. Quicker track times, and better economy around town!

Do it differently, because!

That’s the spirit, VW didn’t put a warning lamp, so there you go.

But let’s be real, the original design does not ever shut the air flow off. When the heater boxes are off, the air just passes forward out the bypasses.
One could postulate that, blocking the air flow would could actually cause too much back pressure; making the fan generator engine work harder than it need too. Or just do as you’re told. It’s not an emergency is all I’m saying. Purely cosmetic. That air may work in a forced induction set up for fun,, anybody do it ?

Choose 2

Over a million air cooled miles driven and 15,000+ cars serviced.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
herbie1200
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2022 6:05 am    Post subject: Re: New doghouse fan shroud , what holes do I need to plug? Reply with quote

VWFIXER wrote:

But let’s be real, the original design does not ever shut the air flow off. When the heater boxes are off, the air just passes forward out the bypasses.
One could postulate that, blocking the air flow would could actually cause too much back pressure; making the fan generator engine work harder than it need too. Or just do as you’re told. It’s not an emergency is all I’m saying. Purely cosmetic. That air may work in a forced induction set up for fun,, anybody do it ?

When the heater box are closed only a minimum flow of air is blown off.

I think you are considering the question too easy.

The more air escapes you open, the more power the fan wastes from the engine.

Withouth math, try this simple experiment, at home.

Use an hairdryer, set it to cold air, and listen to the motor sound.

Then close with one hand the air outlet... what happens? Yes! Unlike expected, You can hear the fan running faster. Then open gradually the air outlet and hear the fan slowing.

This demonstrates that the more air escapes, the more energy is wasted (if with the same voltage the fan slows it is wasting more energy).
VWFIXER
Banned

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2022 8:46 am    Post subject: Re: New doghouse fan shroud , what holes do I need to plug? Reply with quote

herbie1200 wrote:
VWFIXER wrote:

When the heater box are closed only a minimum flow of air is blown off.

I think you are considering the question too easy.

The more air escapes you open, the more power the fan wastes from the engine.

Withouth math, try this simple experiment, at home.

Use an hairdryer, set it to cold air, and listen to the motor sound.

Then close with one hand the air outlet... what happens? Yes! Unlike expected, You can hear the fan running faster. Then open gradually the air outlet and hear the fan slowing.

This demonstrates that the more air escapes, the more energy is wasted (if with the same voltage the fan slows it is wasting more energy).

The fan produces 20 cubic feet per second. More than can fit past heads and cylinders at the same rate.
Besides I’ve seen countless vws driving with heater hoses blown off or entirely gone. And no damage was occurring. This hobby for you is my preferred profession. Your hair dryer metaphor missed the side of a barn. An electric motor driven fan is no match for engine powered fan. I think you guys are so used to talking to each other and these cackameme ideas you’ve convinced yourselves of just how fragile these cars are, which clearly they arnt. Hippies building and restroying them and they still remain

Choose 2

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
herbie1200
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 10:59 am    Post subject: Re: New doghouse fan shroud , what holes do I need to plug? Reply with quote

VWFIXER wrote:

The fan produces 20 cubic feet per second. More than can fit past heads and cylinders at the same rate.
Besides I’ve seen countless vws driving with heater hoses blown off or entirely gone. And no damage was occurring. This hobby for you is my preferred profession. Your hair dryer metaphor missed the side of a barn. An electric motor driven fan is no match for engine powered fan. I think you guys are so used to talking to each other and these cackameme ideas you’ve convinced yourselves of just how fragile these cars are, which clearly they arnt. Hippies building and restroying them and they still remain

The fan produce that air flow only at maximum speed.

VW engines are not fragile but vw engineers designed it considering a correct maintenance: no missing parts, no modification, etc.

Engines run also if some parts are missing but.. how running? a lot of engines become rattly, noisy, weak, leaking, dirty, etc.

For me a "running" engine is not enough. Overheating, in vw engines, is almost ever due to missing parts.

30-40 years ago vw mechanics were "rude" (not the official VW assistance); but now informations are shared, and a lot of old stupid errors (like using 20/50 oil, missing parts on engine, or fixing and engine only to keep it "running" without care for other parameters) are deprecated and no more allowed.
VWFIXER
Banned

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 11:21 am    Post subject: Re: New doghouse fan shroud , what holes do I need to plug? Reply with quote

herbie1200 wrote:
VWFIXER wrote:

VW engines are not fragile but vw engineers designed it considering a correct maintenance: no missing parts, no modification, etc.

Engines run also if some parts are missing but.. how running? a lot of engines become rattly, noisy, weak, leaking, dirty, etc.

For me a "running" engine is not enough. Overheating, in vw engines, is almost ever due to missing parts.

30-40 years ago vw mechanics were "rude" (not the official VW assistance); but now informations are shared, and a lot of old stupid errors (like using 20/50 oil, missing parts on engine, or fixing and engine only to keep it "running" without care for other parameters) are deprecated and no more allowed.

If you could put together a coherent statement with evidence that would be great.

Did VW build airplanes ? That’s the real question you need to ponder sipping Dopio con Panna in Triesté
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/search.php?searc..._chars=200

Maybe look into the drag race history a lot graves are rolling their eyes at you right now 😂

Choose 2

empi3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2022 10:09 am    Post subject: Re: New doghouse fan shroud , what holes do I need to plug? Reply with quote

VWFIXER wrote:
herbie1200 wrote:
VWFIXER wrote:

If you could put together a coherent statement with evidence that would be great.

Did VW build airplanes ? That’s the real question you need to ponder sipping Dopio con Panna in Triesté
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/search.php?searc..._chars=200

Maybe look into the drag race history a lot graves are rolling their eyes at you right now 😂

Considering herbie1200 is from Italy I think his English is pretty "coherent" Very Happy

Steven

1970 Beetle
1956 Ragtop Beetle
volksbugusa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2023 4:18 pm    Post subject: Re: New doghouse fan shroud , what holes do I need to plug? Reply with quote

Glenn..do you remember the size cap to plug the charcoal port? Thanks

https://www.facebook.com/groups/506947294919060
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2023 4:22 pm    Post subject: Re: New doghouse fan shroud , what holes do I need to plug? Reply with quote

volksbugusa wrote:
Glenn..do you remember the size cap to plug the charcoal port? Thanks

Genuine VW part number 030-133-335A, it's a cap for a A1 Golf brake booster. Should be 1/2"

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: