Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Vanagon 100% electric with Chevy Bolt drivetrain
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
T3messie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2023 9:44 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon 100% electric with Chevy Bolt drivetrain Reply with quote

You will have to weld the holes behind the seals.
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2023 8:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon 100% electric with Chevy Bolt drivetrain Reply with quote

Sodo wrote:
What a great story, thanks for taking the time to update your fans!!
I think a LOT of people have been touched by this story.
And heartwarming that at times it resembles a Vanagon.

Agreed! I've enjoyed following the story of your build and perseverance. Thanks dor the update! Goodness, has it really been four years?

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
RoryGirl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2023 10:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon 100% electric with Chevy Bolt drivetrain Reply with quote

yabert wrote:

What I would like to know is the advices and tips to repair the steel around the windows.
I plan to sand blast the rust.
-Which good value tool who will not remove all steel?
-What to apply after sand blast? Direct putty? Rust converter? Por 15?

Skip the POR15 unless you're painting over that rust as-is. If you're blasting/stripping...yes to converter. Epoxy primer then filler primer/sanding then top/clearcoat if you're using. More sanding in there somewhere. And as someone else mentioned, yes to welding up the holes that will be under those seals.

There is a Body/Paint section here - https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewforum.php?f=13

This YT channel has some good paint vids - https://www.youtube.com/@PaintSociety/videos
yabert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2023 5:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon 100% electric with Chevy Bolt drivetrain Reply with quote

RoryGirl wrote:
Skip the POR15 unless you're painting over that rust as-is. If you're blasting/stripping...yes to converter. Epoxy primer then filler primer/sanding then top/clearcoat if you're using. More sanding in there somewhere. And as someone else mentioned, yes to welding up the holes that will be under those seals.

Thanks for the good tips. Starting from almost nothing I can take more Wink
Converter suggestion? Epoxy primer type? Available in Canada, of course.
RoryGirl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2023 6:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon 100% electric with Chevy Bolt drivetrain Reply with quote

Converter
https://www.caswellcanada.ca/OSPH1G.html

I'm not too up on paint stuffs yet...I'd say - the best your wallet can afford. Google "Autobody supply" in your area and have a talk with whoever's at the counter.
yabert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2023 7:55 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon 100% electric with Chevy Bolt drivetrain Reply with quote

We prepare everything for the paint job in 2 weeks and I don't know what to do with this.
What is it possible to do with the water who stay trap under the front doors, between the seal and the steel body?
Is this normal? Is there common solutions?
Is my only solution is to do holes in the steel to allow the water who enter by the door to flow up to the ground?

Advice are welcome.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Alaskaberrys Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2023 11:06 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon 100% electric with Chevy Bolt drivetrain Reply with quote

That seems like an unusual spot for rust to form unless the door remained shut, outside, for a very long time. My doka was very rusty in all the usual places (dog leg, all seams, inside pillars) but was no sign of rust there. Perhaps the door was opened enough to air it out.

Was there some kind of seal there? (other than the one on the door)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
yabert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2023 5:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon 100% electric with Chevy Bolt drivetrain Reply with quote

Alaskaberrys wrote:
That seems like an unusual spot for rust ...
Was there some kind of seal there? (other than the one on the door)

There is no other seal than the door seal.
I really don't understand how there is water trap at this place while the openings in the door to drop the water ingress are 1'' more at the exterior of the door.
Strange and unpleasant.
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2023 6:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon 100% electric with Chevy Bolt drivetrain Reply with quote

If that were mine I’d wire wheel off as much rust as possible, rust convert what remained, two coats of epoxy primer, then final color over that.

No reason for that to rust there other than the original paint was compromised.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
yabert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2023 10:51 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon 100% electric with Chevy Bolt drivetrain Reply with quote

dobryan wrote:
If that were mine I’d wire wheel off as much rust as possible, rust convert what remained, two coats of epoxy primer, then final color over that.

Yeap! Exactly what is plan in two weeks for the entire van.
Thanks for your input.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2023 2:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon 100% electric with Chevy Bolt drivetrain Reply with quote

Now that the electric power grid has collapsed, do you regret the VsnBolt conversion

2.5 miles per kW…about 250% cheaper per mile than a 30 mpg econobox….
yabert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2023 6:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon 100% electric with Chevy Bolt drivetrain Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
Now that the electric power grid has collapsed, do you regret the VsnBolt conversion

Grid? This is my house...

Just kidding Cool
I have solar, but just enough for fridge, water pump and some lamps.

Quote:
2.5 miles per kW…about 250% cheaper per mile than a 30 mpg econobox…

We did a bit of math recently: conversion cost 25k$ 4 years ago, drove more than 100k km, here the gas is around 1.70$/L, no oil change/maintenance = Well, we saved almost 25k$ Shocked

Last edited by yabert on Wed Sep 13, 2023 4:23 am; edited 1 time in total
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2023 2:52 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon 100% electric with Chevy Bolt drivetrain Reply with quote

I swagged that too, you are roughly at the break even point. Well done! Are you still finding opportunities to charge for free at work and others ?

2.5 kwh per mile is about 5 cents per mile vs 35 cents per mile for gas
yabert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2023 1:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon 100% electric with Chevy Bolt drivetrain Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
Are you still finding opportunities to charge for free at work and others ?
2.5 kwh per mile is about 5 cents per mile vs 35 cents per mile for gas

I charge for free at work, so I save maybe 3$ / week.
At home, during summer our electric consumption is low and then we pay 6.5 cents/kWh*.
That give around 4$ for a full charge, so less than 3 cents per mile.
Ummmmmmmmmmmm! 10 time less than gas, nice to know.

*From Hydro Québec (electricity supplier)
Rate D does indeed have two-tiered pricing:

6.509¢/kWh for energy consumed up to 40 kWh per day times the number of days in the consumption period (1st tier)
10.041¢/kWh for the remaining energy consumed (2nd tier)
We do not bill based on your daily consumption. We take into account your total consumption during the consumption period, which is more beneficial for you.

Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2023 1:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon 100% electric with Chevy Bolt drivetrain Reply with quote

I get free gas at work but I have to stay late. I have the intern do it in case Im caught. HR fires them first as it’s easier
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2023 8:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon 100% electric with Chevy Bolt drivetrain Reply with quote

I'm happy just stealing my body weight in office supplies every year.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2023 2:16 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon 100% electric with Chevy Bolt drivetrain Reply with quote

jimf909 wrote:
I'm happy just stealing my body weight in office supplies every year.

You can take a whole case of post-its (tm) by leaving your clothes in the office and then covering yourself in them in dress Down Friday. Do this for a month, then fedex your extra clothes home on the company
yabert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2023 5:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon 100% electric with Chevy Bolt drivetrain Reply with quote

Let go for the paint job.
First day we remove the stuff to discover the rust.
We are lucky, lot of rust, but no holes behind the windows seals except in the tailgate where few inches have to be weld.
Next step is to put sandblast on that rust to see if there is enough steel left.

yabert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2023 4:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon 100% electric with Chevy Bolt drivetrain Reply with quote

Here two unusual (to me) place with rust.
The rear upper corner, in contact with the pop top seem a bit complex to weld considering the shape.
Advice?

DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2023 10:22 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon 100% electric with Chevy Bolt drivetrain Reply with quote

Cut a piece of steel and heat it up and pound it into shape. Alternatively, you can make a pattern with masking tape and weld together some triangles to come close and then beat it into shape.

Duncan

Last edited by DuncanS on Sat Sep 23, 2023 12:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24  Next
Jump to:
Page 20 of 24

Jump to: