Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Bumper bar irons
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
meranda
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2023 12:57 am    Post subject: Bumper bar irons Reply with quote

Well that's what we call them in Australia! I am about to get the front bumper re-chromed on my 1961 Cabrio and I have often wondered if the irons are the correct colour. Does anyone have anything definite about that. The Wolfsburg West colour chart does not mention them.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1974 Porsche 911S Targa
1968 1500 Beetle A Project!
Past Garage fillers dozens of type1 &type3 VWs
Jaguar Mk5 & XK120
Lancia Flavia Coupe
Alfa Guilia sedan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
zerotofifty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2023 7:34 am    Post subject: Re: Bumper bar irons Reply with quote

I have seen them black and seen them silver. Your car might be Australian built, and there for Id check with what came out of the Australian factory as it might be different than say the german factory. I am in America and must of the Bugs here is German made, so my observations may not be correct for your Australian built car.
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2023 8:25 am    Post subject: Re: Bumper bar irons Reply with quote

The bumper brackets and supports went from black to silver at some point late 1960 to early 1961 during the '61 model year, at least on German cars.
meranda
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2023 11:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Bumper bar irons Reply with quote

Thanks everyone. I had Eureka moment when removing on of the front irons which were black,I discovered silver on the part hidden behind the attachment to the body. This car was assembled in Osnabruck in Feb 1961 as were all cabrios.
1974 Porsche 911S Targa
1968 1500 Beetle A Project!
Past Garage fillers dozens of type1 &type3 VWs
Jaguar Mk5 & XK120
Lancia Flavia Coupe
Alfa Guilia sedan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
abm59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2023 6:27 am    Post subject: Re: Bumper bar irons Reply with quote

I have a 67 Beetle I inherited a few months ago. My aunt and uncle bought it new in May 67.

The front bumper brackets are silver and the rears are black.

My uncle wasn't one for modifying the car.

I assume this is the way the car came from the factory.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: