Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Site certificate renewal
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Site Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2023 8:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Site certificate renewal Reply with quote

Yes, the certificate auto-renews every few months and it started when it auto-renewed again on May 13th.

As far as I know nothing was different this time as it's automatic and I didn't do anything specific but obviously something is different.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
scrivyscriv
Samba Electrician

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2023 10:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Site certificate renewal Reply with quote

As of last night May 18th I still see it too, only on LAN networked work PCs. The WiFi and cell work ipad has no issue loading the site. I’m getting the certificate authority error, but the error message is through the work firewall software, and not dependent on browser. I’ve tried chrome, Firefox, and crappy Edge, with the same result.
Thank you for working on it. I hope your back end people are able to fix it!
If you're ever in the Memphis area, you are welcome to stop by for advice and help.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2023 8:26 am    Post subject: Re: Site certificate renewal Reply with quote

It is working fine this morning. Seems to be fixed on my end anyway.

Previously Owned:
2011 VW EOS Hard Top Conv
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

68 Ghia Vert Survivor with 22,350 miles: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=768107&highlight=
71 Ghia Vert Restoration: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=726710&postorder=asc
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2023 6:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Site certificate renewal Reply with quote

Still rejecting me. I dumped cookies, cache, rebooted, still had to enter a security exemption to get in but I'm ok with it.
zerotofifty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2023 5:08 am    Post subject: Re: Site certificate renewal Reply with quote

Still bad, royal pain to use samba now. have to reenter after each post via the warning screen display.
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2023 11:54 am    Post subject: Re: Site certificate renewal Reply with quote

zerotofifty wrote:
Still bad, royal pain to use samba now. have to reenter after each post via the warning screen display.
Mine's not quite that bad, but still doing it. Truth be told, I also have a much newer Samsung phone (S10+) with what must be a newer version of Chrome, and it isn't having this issue (or perhaps it's the OS).
chrisflstf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2023 2:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Site certificate renewal Reply with quote

No change on my end. Seems the common denominator is Thesamba and the new cert. So, what happened, what changed? Do we have any IT guys? Should not be that hard to figure out, but software can be misleading at times
otherbeach
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2023 10:52 am    Post subject: Re: Site certificate renewal Reply with quote

chrisflstf wrote:
No change on my end. Seems the common denominator is Thesamba and the new cert. So, what happened, what changed? Do we have any IT guys? Should not be that hard to figure out, but software can be misleading at times

The problem - and I have it too - is on your/my local “Trust Store”. TheSamba.com may have new certificates but our individual browsers have to “trust” them. In the normal world the solution is to import or update Certificate Authority “CA” certificates into your Trust Store. The Trust Stores are usually already present, have unexpired CAs and are capable of handling this trust, which explains why most people dont see this.

In the Unix or Window world a CA import or update can be done via line commands…laborious, twisted commands that would fix the issue. Yes there are GUIs that may do this too.

In my Amazon Fire system with Silk or on some phones this is not possible or practical. Perhaps there is someone who can explain the CA import or update process on these systems- but it sounds hard to me.

Perhaps TS.com is using a new certificate authority, but I doubt it. I speculate that there is little that can be done at TS.com’s backend. In my opinion the age of the CAs on the troubled systems like mine are causing the issue not TS.coms certificates. Our failing systems have CAs that are expired or just dont know about TS.coms CA - thus this is a lack of trust (about TS.coms new certificate) on the part of the failing devices in our hands.

This is confusing, I agree and I believe there is no easy answer…and if there is answer it might be one that has to be pursued locally on your phone/system.

Just as an aside, I was in Home Depot about a year ago looking at those refrigerators that have built in screens…Wifi enabled I suppose. In my Home Depot, these screens were showing errors…same error as I was seeing on my Amazon Fire - untrusted certificates with probably expired CAs. Imagine telling a homeowner they have to update CAs!
Coming to you from God’s Own Time Zone: Central Time…up near the Illinois/Minnesota border. ** Note I am currently (mostly) INACTIVE in the bus community due to temporary life changes. My price tracking from 2016 to 2021 is now over and data stored offline **
"Cows at the border of the Dairy State and the Land of Lincoln are remarkably honest."
chrisflstf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2023 2:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Site certificate renewal Reply with quote

I get your point about trust certs, but since alot of people now have issues and the only thing changed was the cert, it implies something different about the cert. Perhaps a new feature or something was added that wasnt there before and now different browers are reacting. Common sense would dictate that if not specified in the browsers code, that it be rejected for nefarious reasons to be "safe"

Its more of an inconvenience than anything else.
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2023 6:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Site certificate renewal Reply with quote

FWIW the current certificate is the same one beginning and ending times. The serial number is 61:DF:44:FB:72:05:98:3D:11:3F:D5:2E:E9:6C:7F:E5.
chrisflstf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2023 11:32 am    Post subject: Re: Site certificate renewal Reply with quote

I found, under security settings for my samsung tablet and android, the installed trusted ca certs, but samba is not listed on either. There is also a way to install from device storage, but its blank. Looks like it can be added, maybe, if accessible

So, no bueno
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2023 5:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Site certificate renewal Reply with quote

Ha, I got so used to overriding the warning that I forgot to check in here....anyhoo, no changes on my end Very Happy
scrivyscriv
Samba Electrician

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2023 5:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Site certificate renewal Reply with quote

Site is available again for me, no firewall blocking now. Great job, thanks for fixing the issue Everett and Jennepher!
If you're ever in the Memphis area, you are welcome to stop by for advice and help.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2023 12:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Site certificate renewal Reply with quote

No change here.
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2023 6:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Site certificate renewal Reply with quote

No different myself except I just turned off the security aspect to get back on.

Coincidentally around the same time another site started giving me that page and locked me out. Instead of going outside or looking outside before I go to work or play I look down from the geostationary satellite over my house to see what to wear. Now I have to actually go outside first. I'll find another satellite but none are as good as the first one. I can't re-find that satellite either to turn off the security certificate.
chrisflstf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2023 8:59 am    Post subject: Re: Site certificate renewal Reply with quote

Barry must have found some good weed, lol Laughing
zerotofifty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2023 7:28 am    Post subject: Re: Site certificate renewal Reply with quote

was ok for several days, now it is bad again.
otherbeach
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2023 7:01 am    Post subject: Re: Site certificate renewal Reply with quote

zerotofifty wrote:
was ok for several days, now it is bad again.

I am having issues still on an old Silk browser on an old Fire. I was researching Certificate Authority cert imports and found nothing for my device. It is fine...lots of other working devices in my household.
Coming to you from God’s Own Time Zone: Central Time…up near the Illinois/Minnesota border. ** Note I am currently (mostly) INACTIVE in the bus community due to temporary life changes. My price tracking from 2016 to 2021 is now over and data stored offline **
"Cows at the border of the Dairy State and the Land of Lincoln are remarkably honest."
stardust63
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2023 12:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Site certificate renewal Reply with quote

I'm having the same issue with the a warning about the website not being secure. I'm using Chrome on my desktop iMac computer. When I check the dates of the certificate, it seems like it should be valid, but I still get the warning about security and trying to steal my identity etc. I get the same thing when I try to access it with Safari. When I try to access the site from Firefox, I get this message:

Your connection is not secure

The owner of thesamba.com has configured their website improperly. To protect your information from being stolen, Firefox has not connected to this website.

Learn more…

Report errors like this to help Mozilla identify and block malicious sites
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2023 9:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Site certificate renewal Reply with quote

Thanks for the report.

Is anyone else still having this issue?

I think it's your host not updating their cache of my certificate but I'm not sure why it's still ongoing for this long.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Site All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: