Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

71 standard rear seatback too low/ latch trouble
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ArthurMcKenzie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2021 6:12 pm    Post subject: 71 standard rear seatback too low/ latch trouble Reply with quote

Howdy I am restoring the interior of my 71 beetle and encountered a problem with the rear seat back. I believe I have attempted to install it correctly. The bottom I think is in the right position.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

From what I can tell functional, it just seems that the entire seat is too low, the seat will not fit into the latch like it is supposed to and it also seams like the bumpers are misaligned too low as well.

I also have great difficulty installing the bottom of the rear seat once the back is installed. Its as if there is some hidden bolt hole that I cant see a few inches above the one that I use. from what I remember when I originally got the car it functioned fine, so I am looking to if anyone has had a similar experience or has a solution.

[/url]
ptavian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2021 2:22 pm    Post subject: Re: 71 standard rear seatback too low/ latch trouble Reply with quote

Hello- I have a '70 standard with the exact same problem!! I see no one has posted a solution for this. Any pointers anyone could give would be greatly appreciated- thanks all
regordracis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2021 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: 71 standard rear seatback too low/ latch trouble Reply with quote

me three ... 72 SB ... will be following .... Popcorn
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2021 10:46 am    Post subject: Re: 71 standard rear seatback too low/ latch trouble Reply with quote

ArthurMcKenzie wrote:

That catch is adjustable. Loosen the two bolts holding it on and slide it downward toward the bottom of the car then tighten the bolts.

The new thicker padding you put in your seat back or seat bottom (or both) causes it to be more difficult to install the rear seat bottom now. Same exact issue with mine, I really have to force it but everything is correct.

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor
ptavian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2021 2:59 pm    Post subject: Re: 71 standard rear seatback too low/ latch trouble Reply with quote

Yeah- I was messing around with mine last night and discovered that the catch is adjustable but I’m still over an inch too low! What the heck? I’ll post pictures soon
Cjschriver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2023 11:47 am    Post subject: Re: 71 standard rear seatback too low/ latch trouble Reply with quote

Can anyone verify that this is the correct solution every time? I am having the same issues with the latch in my '69 on both counts. Latch on seat is too low, car mounted catch is too high. Can't stuff the seat bottom in all the way. Some of my older pics do show the car mounted catch being adjustable just like in the OP's pics above

(I DID realize that I had the catches mounted on the wrong side of the car, and fixed that Rolling Eyes )

but mine are thru my brand new rear quarter panels.

I removed the entire perforated region of the cardboard circle where the bolts go thru, but I'm not sure this would provide enough slop to get to where I need to be. Just like the OP, I have determined that the rear seat backrest IS mounted in the proper upper hole, above the seatbelt mount. There's nothing else that is adjustable, right?

Also, can't get the seat bottom to shove back far enough to drop behind the the bar...

This last pic is of the underside of the seat, toward the driver's side B pillar, showing the overhang of the front edge of the seat

Just push harder or what?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2023 11:58 am    Post subject: Re: 71 standard rear seatback too low/ latch trouble Reply with quote

Cjschriver wrote:

Also, can't get the seat bottom to shove back far enough to drop behind the the bar...

This last pic is of the underside of the seat, toward the driver's side B pillar, showing the overhang of the front edge of the seat

Just push harder or what?

Your technique is incorrect; seats fits in the bottom frame ridge, not above it.. But I'm not good at explaining this.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Cjschriver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2023 12:51 pm    Post subject: Re: 71 standard rear seatback too low/ latch trouble Reply with quote

I probably did a poor job of explaining.

What I mean to ask is, do i just need to push harder in the blue direction to get the red corner of the seat behind the green corner of the rail? I'm happy to push harder, I just don't want to junk up the new upholstery. Probably overstuffed it with the dumb foam pad from JBugs. If it ever gets in there, it will be VERY tight.
Thanks Cusser
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: