Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Who's installed an 091 Transmission in an early Bay?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2022 11:45 am    Post subject: Re: Who's installed an 091 Transmission in an early Bay? Reply with quote

sodbuster wrote:

Just going by the title of the thread (Who's installed an 091 Transmission in an early Bay?) Early bay being 1968 to 1971.

The thread was restarted with this post:

"Just for clarification, though I read this whole thread and still need someone to give it the okay... I can swap a 091 mated to a 2.0 into a 74 bus without modifying anything other than shortening this shift rod 10mm forward."

sodbuster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2022 12:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Who's installed an 091 Transmission in an early Bay? Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
sodbuster wrote:

Just going by the title of the thread (Who's installed an 091 Transmission in an early Bay?) Early bay being 1968 to 1971.

The thread was restarted with this post:

"Just for clarification, though I read this whole thread and still need someone to give it the okay... I can swap a 091 mated to a 2.0 into a 74 bus without modifying anything other than shortening this shift rod 10mm forward."

My mistake. won't happen again.
NoBudgetVWGarage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2022 2:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Who's installed an 091 Transmission in an early Bay? Reply with quote

I put an 091 with 2.0L in my 72 bus.. never did anything but put it in. Worked fine
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
goosebus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2022 6:55 am    Post subject: Re: Who's installed an 091 Transmission in an early Bay? Reply with quote

My bus has the 091 transmission mated to an 1800. Like others have mentioned, it's main downfall is the need to downshift to 3rd on any incline, even small hills. I also need to push pretty hard in 2nd to not have 3rd gear bogging down when I go to shift. Flat highway driving is great though, it will cruise at 110 with hardly any effort. All things considered, I would prefer to have the 3 rib (or 5 rib?) that originally came with the 1800.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2022 9:58 am    Post subject: Re: Who's installed an 091 Transmission in an early Bay? Reply with quote

goosebus wrote:
My bus has the 091 transmission mated to an 1800. Like others have mentioned, it's main downfall is the need to downshift to 3rd on any incline, even small hills. I also need to push pretty hard in 2nd to not have 3rd gear bogging down when I go to shift. Flat highway driving is great though, it will cruise at 110 with hardly any effort. All things considered, I would prefer to have the 3 rib (or 5 rib?) that originally came with the 1800.

I had that combo with nothing more than a slightly more aggressive cam (Web 142 clone) and a progressive carb and it ran very well, lasted me for 250 miles (400 kilometers). I drove tens of thousands of miles at 75 mph (120 KPH) to keep up with the flow when on the interstates.

Make sure you have your timing set at 28-30° BTDC @3800+ rpms, hoses off and plugged.
nickchambers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2023 1:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Who's installed an 091 Transmission in an early Bay? Reply with quote

I've put 40,000 hard mi on my 71 early bay, single carb 1776 with the stout O91. Definitely a nice combo. very pleased with modest hwy rpm reduction, runs cool year round
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2023 2:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Who's installed an 091 Transmission in an early Bay? Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
goosebus wrote:

I had that combo with nothing more than a slightly more aggressive cam (Web 142 clone) and a progressive carb and it ran very well, lasted me for 250 miles (400 kilometers). I drove tens of thousands of miles at 75 mph (120 KPH) to keep up with the flow when on the interstates.

Make sure you have your timing set at 28-30° BTDC @3800+ rpms, hoses off and plugged.

Make that 250,000 miles or 400,000 kilometers
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2023 2:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Who's installed an 091 Transmission in an early Bay? Reply with quote

Some Japanese car must use boots that are interchangeable with a bus.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7

Jump to: