Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What did you do to your Beetle this week?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 312, 313, 314, 315, 316, 317  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stockholm VW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2023 1:42 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

65'1300Deluxe wrote:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

After 15 years of sitting next to my folks house, I dragged the carcass of my 65' to my own garage, ready to tackle the bodywork that stalled me out in Highschool!

Congratulations! Enjoy your bug. It’s never too late to go broke. 😜

That engine looks clean. ✨✨
65'1300Deluxe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2023 4:38 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

Stockholm VW wrote:

Congratulations! Enjoy your bug. It’s never too late to go broke. 😜

That engine looks clean. ✨✨

Thankfully I rebuilt the chassis and engine years ago, it just needs some TLC... and a battery, because I fully intend to drive this thing around with the body off at least once Very Happy
scottyrocks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2023 7:38 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

Last week I replaced my rear shift coupler and solved an inconsistent hitting 3rd gear issue.

Then, a couple of days ago, during the course of my driving during the day, my shifter felt like rowing through the large economy sized tub of Cool-Whip. I was also able to get reverse without pushing down.

That last part made think of the reverse lockout plate. I have a spare so I changed it. Everything is back to normal once again. Shifting is even tighter now than when I first put in the new coupler.

Before I put the new one in I examined them side by side. Aside from color they don't look any different. Apparently, they wear out, however.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2023 1:23 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

They can wear out, especially if they are not greased but the wear is usually very obvious compare to a good one.

Here's 2 styles, both with wear on the right-hand sides

Not the greatest pic but no serious wear on the right side of this one:

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
scottyrocks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2023 10:47 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

Thanks, Everett, I saved the old one. The next time I have the shifter out I'll take a closer look at them both.

In other news, I decided to clean up the rust on my original headlight rings using a combination of a wire wheel in my drill (where there was pitting), and 0000 steel wool by hand. I wiped the area I'd be treating with a damp rag before getting on it with either one. Then I dried and waxed them.

They came out fairly spectacularly. I'm gonna remove the aftermarket rings that are on the car now and do those next. Then the bumpers, original to the car.
mikelars
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2023 11:42 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

I learned something new this week!

My new fuel cap gasket sealed my tank so well that a vacuum happened after 20 miles and the motor died because the electric fuel pump couldn’t overcome the vacuum. On close inspection, my vent was clogged from the tank sealing process I did during restoration! With a drill bit I punched through and now all is good.

The second thing I learned is my home AC failed to start, and there is a coil that looks pretty similar to the VW! A 35/5 HVAC capacitor fixed the AC, and looks like the beetles coil!

Here is my 1966 Split Bus - Restoration Channel:
https://youtube.com/channel/UCPBRysmvrJlif2wzwEwiuwQ

2332 Torque Motor Build
https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLW_2wBCs4Ny2HwsKM9QT4LFpcSqP3QG0p

Engine Rebuild 1968cc Playlist:
https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLW_2wBCs4Ny1JbZ2EgJQQ2awfo0koZRqz
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ryans65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2023 5:19 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

fixed my dome light, still can't see anything Laughing

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
far rider Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2023 4:16 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

61 replacement tire well. Starting to replace the rusted parts on my 61 ragtop.

Contentment; when what you have is what you want.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VWNate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2023 7:45 pm    Post subject: What Did I Do To My Beetle this week Reply with quote

I chafed at the cool & damp weather here in So. Cal., I took the engine and tranny out Memorial Day and will be performing a laundry list of "Might As Wells" whilst I replace the tranny's big main shaft bearing .

It's tough to look out the window and see it just sitting there in the rain....

One last Beetle : 1959 #113 DeLuxe survivor ~ 36HP & full synchro tranny, 6 volts etc.
Stockholm VW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2023 12:01 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

The regular stuff:
-Valves adjusted.
-Oil change.
-Transaxle oil change.
-Brakes adjusted.
-Clutch adjusted.
-Steering box adjusted.

The not so regular stuff:
-New starter, starter solenoid, and ignition switch.
-New tail pipes (Lost one on the highway. Searched far and wide... no luck.)
VWNate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2023 2:41 pm    Post subject: Piece By Piece Reply with quote

I spent most of one day putting the transaxle back into my '59 Bug, over 1/2 the time was spent on 'Might as Wells' and cleaning, de rusting and re painting various this ans that, it's nice to be able to use those 14MM A.T.F. 8X1.25MM nuts and their slightly different washers.....

I've still got lots to do, it turns out I can no longer lay on my back and simply hoist it into place using a creeper .

One last Beetle : 1959 #113 DeLuxe survivor ~ 36HP & full synchro tranny, 6 volts etc.

Last edited by VWNate on Sat Jul 08, 2023 9:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
oldslow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2023 8:59 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

I made this box from an air cleaner years ago. This weekend I repainted it. All nice and shiny now.

_osb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2023 11:59 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

Boris (Gulf Blue 61 Delux model) came to us on Thursday and joins Nutkin (Chianti 71 So67-R Westfalia). Boris is numbers-matching.

Boris’s previous custodian thought he was running on three, which I’m not convinced is correct, but there is a hole in a heat riser, fuel in the sump and some really coked up plugs.

I have carb and fuel pump rebuild kits arriving tomorrow. Once these have been refurbed, I’ll drain and rinse the oil and compression test.
alex857
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2023 11:38 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

Drove my 1961 ragtop near the sky laser installation celebrating the jubilee of the Trumpf company near Stuttgart.

VWNate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2023 10:53 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

Lovely photos ! .

I wish I knew how to take good pix like this .

bandi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2023 6:54 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

Finally got around to putting hubcap clips on the '60.

Took it into town, noticed when I slowed down that it was misfiring and noisy. Limped it home, found the #4 exhaust valve spring was in three pieces.

I managed to replace the spring using a universal "on the car" spring compressor I've had for 20 years that definitely wasn't designed for a VW. Since taking it to a bench grinder, now it's sort of designed for a VW. She's purring like a kitten again.

Even being down a cylinder and with the noise of the combustion coming straight out the exhaust, it still sounded better than the Harley I got stuck behind on the way home!
'60 Canadian Standard, '64 Bug, another '64 Bug, '66 Bug, '69 Sunroof Bug, '69 GT3 Bug, '71 Super, '72 Super, '73 Canadian Custom, '74 Love Bug, '83 Mexi Bug, '85 Cabrio, '94 Mexi Bug, '99 New Beetle, '02 New Beetle Turbo S, '03 New Beetle VR6. And some Fieros.
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2023 9:29 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

Finished my 2276 build Wednesday evening.

AA 82mm forged crank
JPM Ductile iron 94mm cylinders, stuffed with JE forged pistons
Scat 5.7 H beam rods
FK-10 camshaft with Engle lifters
Smith Brothers custom 3/8" chromo PR's
Scat 1.4 rockers
CB Wedgeport heads with 42cc combustion chambers
CB Bigbeef intake manifolds, topped with 48 IDA clones
CB magnaspark distributor
CSP 42mm EVO Comp SS exhaust, dual muffler
12.2:1 CR, race gas only for this build.

Rotating assembly, repaired and balanced @ DPR, Thanks Jose.

A rough estimate of the power on this build, 187HP, 167trq. Wink

Hoping to get the engine installed tomorrow, 8/6/23.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
lhd65bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2023 3:24 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

Fitted a Cornett Sun visor. Once fitted, it made the wiper arms look rusty and shabby, so I refurbed 'em andfinished 'em in silver.

iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2023 12:57 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

Took the front wheels off and washed the wheel wells. And what to my wondering eyes should appear?----yellow crayon inspection mark from August, 1965. I stopped cleaning for fear of scrubbing it off.
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2023 4:23 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

The factory inspection code, should stay in place. If you just rinse the fender wells with water.
Use a solvent or soapy spray cleaner, and it will take off the hand written code.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 312, 313, 314, 315, 316, 317  Next
Jump to:
Page 313 of 317

Jump to: