Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Electric vehicles are bad
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 145, 146, 147 ... 233, 234, 235  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ALLWAGONS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2023 11:54 am    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

In Spanish radio, a few stations are running ads against EV's. Stating they are only for the rich. They are neither cheap nor accessible. Maybe they will find another cause to create mayhem again. Sad

I recycle old cars and parts, other than when I rot, that's as Green as I am going to get.

Thanks to my Tesla driving neighbors, I feel more relaxed driving my SUBURBAN and old VW's.

NON INFLUENCER APPROVED
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jon Schmid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2023 2:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

There's a headline on today's LA Times website regarding a "huge" data breach at Tesla regarding gross under reporting of crashes involving their "Autopilot" cars.
Jon Schmid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2023 3:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

Here's the headline:

Huge Tesla data leak reportedly reveals thousands of safety complaints.
kingkarmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2023 4:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

Jon Schmid wrote:
Here's the headline:

Huge Tesla data leak reportedly reveals thousands of safety complaints.

HUGE!!

Laughing Laughing

Mike Gerson

What is your "Bespoke Reality"?
Evil Clown
Live

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2023 9:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

https://youtube.com/shorts/tNg1_dmsPr8?feature=share

Quote:
I'll take a Happy Meal with Prozac please

Quote:
kiss my airy VW ass

Quote:
German word for constapation:
Farfrompoopin

Quote:
Chinese word for constipation:
Hung Chow Chow.. & it was GR8!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2023 5:51 am    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

ALLWAGONS wrote:
In Spanish radio, a few stations are running ads against EV's. Stating they are only for the rich. They are neither cheap nor accessible. Maybe they will find another cause to create mayhem again. Sad

Some people may be buying them for practical reasons but I suspect most are using them as a status symbol at this point in time. Once the "blush is off the rose" and thing get real, we will see how it all turns out.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2023 2:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

If I were in a capital cycle looking to replace a car right now I would be on the cusp of EV. With a maximum commute of 45 miles to transport an ICE no longer makes sense for me.

Getting rid of my ICE won’t pay for itself though , so I’ll stay unsmug for now.

A Tesla would have been great on my 3 hour slog through Taylor Swift traffic, though
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2023 2:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

A sale flyer for Canadian tire came in today, regular car tires (yes, they still sell tires surprisingly) were ~$100, light truck ~$180, EV tires were ~$400 ea on sale, that kind of bites in to the smug bank when calculating long term ownership costs. Razz

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2023 3:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

Tire rack $200 options
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2023 4:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
Tire rack $200 options

But are they made ethically and sustainably to maximise the virtue signalling?, you can't cheap out on "saving the planet" now can you?

I'm sure there's affordable options if you shop around, I was just a little impressed by the blatant exploitation of gullible EV owners because they need to feel "special".

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2023 8:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
Abscate wrote:
Tire rack $200 options

But are they made ethically and sustainably to maximise the virtue signalling?, you can't cheap out on "saving the planet" now can you?

I'm sure there's affordable options if you shop around, I was just a little impressed by the blatant exploitation of gullible EV owners because they need to feel "special".

Laughing Laughing

At least the owners of Leaf cars. The tires should last 10-15 years. That helps save the planet a tiny bit Wink

(Of course you don’t keep tires that long).

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2023 9:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
ALLWAGONS wrote:

Some people may be buying them for practical reasons but I suspect most are using them as a status symbol at this point in time. Once the "blush is off the rose" and thing get real, we will see how it all turns out.

Is this about trucks or EVs?
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2023 5:07 am    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
oprn wrote:
ALLWAGONS wrote:

Some people may be buying them for practical reasons but I suspect most are using them as a status symbol at this point in time. Once the "blush is off the rose" and things get real, we will see how it all turns out.

Is this about trucks or EVs?

The answer is ... yes! Very Happy
Floating VW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2023 6:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

steve244 wrote:
I was wondering about the Herbert quote. It's from the fourth in the Dune series, God-Emperor of Dune . . .

. . . I didn't make it past the 2nd novel so I can't add much (other than read Dune, but skip the rest). The analysis states suppression of advanced technology was to force the population to evolve. I suppose that's appropriate, but EVs don't equate with primitive tech. We really should be going back to street cars, horse-drawn or not.

I definitely recommend reading the entire series. The first few books are a bit of a chore to get through sometimes, but they do get better and better as the series progresses.

Even though the technology being used is comparatively modern, I think the concept of the EV is incredibly primitive. Batteries, electric motors and even EV's have literally existed for centuries. It's kind of like "texting" on your cell phone. The cell phone is a modern electronic device; the ability to type words into an electric device and send them to someone far, far away is two centuries old. (And it's somewhat of a regression, in my opinion. Does anyone remember the days when you actually talked to the person at the other end of the line, instead of doing what basically amounts to the 21st century version of the telegraph?)

In other electric news, this popped up on my feed the other day, and I sincerely hope this is being completely blown out of proportion (but my inner cynic has the sinking feeling that it's not):

Link

Bonesberg55
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2023 4:52 am    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

What about icebergs?
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2023 5:52 am    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

I have not heard of this problem here. We have hundreds of those whirly birds in this area too but of course our weather is much colder and dryer than Scotland...

Ice on the blades would naturally decrease efficiency but so would a decrease in wing speed, I can't see that being an issue. Perhaps ice breaking off randomly could cause an imbalance but at 11 rpm would that be so bad? I suppose that due to the blade length it could be...

Interesting subject!
steve244
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2023 6:34 am    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

Floating VW wrote:
steve244 wrote:
I was wondering about the Herbert quote. It's from the fourth in the Dune series, God-Emperor of Dune . . .

. . . I didn't make it past the 2nd novel so I can't add much (other than read Dune, but skip the rest). The analysis states suppression of advanced technology was to force the population to evolve. I suppose that's appropriate, but EVs don't equate with primitive tech. We really should be going back to street cars, horse-drawn or not.

I definitely recommend reading the entire series. The first few books are a bit of a chore to get through sometimes, but they do get better and better as the series progresses.

Even though the technology being used is comparatively modern, I think the concept of the EV is incredibly primitive. Batteries, electric motors and even EV's have literally existed for centuries. It's kind of like "texting" on your cell phone. The cell phone is a modern electronic device; the ability to type words into an electric device and send them to someone far, far away is two centuries old. (And it's somewhat of a regression, in my opinion. Does anyone remember the days when you actually talked to the person at the other end of the line, instead of doing what basically amounts to the 21st century version of the telegraph?)

In other electric news, this popped up on my feed the other day, and I sincerely hope this is being completely blown out of proportion (but my inner cynic has the sinking feeling that it's not):

Link

Combustion engines are millennias old.
The Vanagon's drivetrain and chassis restomod thread. Best sung to the tune of I Did It My Way...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
finster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2023 8:24 am    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
Interesting subject!

indeed! looks like the turbines, operated by a spanish company, were not 'winterised' enough to suit scottish winters.
this is from the edf website - sounds good but they don't say where the heat comes from to 'increase your generation'! perhaps it's political hot air Wink
"But ice can be a challenge in cold weather. Turbine manufacturers offer ice detection systems, which shut the turbines down automatically if ice is detected. Ice can impact the turbine’s performance, but it could also create a safety hazard.
As well as ice detection systems, some innovative solutions for anti-icing are used in very cold locations, such as Scandinavia. For example, some blades come with a material that heats up to prevent them from icing. Other solutions include blowing hot air into the blades. The idea being that you avoid shutdown of the turbine in these conditions and increase your generation.
"

nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect...
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2023 1:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

Most modern wind turbines have some method of blade de-icing available. I say available. Its an option.

Wind turbines cannot operate with any significant ice on the blades. Between the weight and the turbulence produced it WILL destroy the blades....violently.

Bit a lot of locations do not OPT for the de-icing kit. This was a LARGE part if the issue down in Texas a couple of years ago in the deep freeze with sleet. No de-icing. They had to shut them all down.

They had made wind and solar roughly 20% of their capacity and dismantled the corresponding fossil fuel backup....hence a critical power shortage in the midst of rare below 0 weather. Ray
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2023 6:28 am    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

It would be interesting to find out if the whirly birds here have de-icing options. Possibly not as we are for the most part too cold and dry to need it. Hoar frost is our biggest threat on foggy days, sometimes takes the power lines down. Actual icing happens mostly right around the freezing mark in high humidity.

I did meet one of the fellows who looked after the closest wind farm to us but I cannot ask him now as he is no longer with us. Lost him in a traffic fatality unfortunately. No it wasn't in his Tesla, it was in a fire/rescue truck trying to help some idiot that didn't have the common sense to stay home in bad weather!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 145, 146, 147 ... 233, 234, 235  Next
Jump to:
Page 146 of 235

Jump to: