Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

2.5 Subaru stall - no start issue
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Christopholi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2022 1:20 pm    Post subject: 2.5 Subaru stall - no start issue Reply with quote

Hi all,

I have been having a somewhat strange issue if I happen to stall the van from a stopped position. Usually happens if I am not paying attention, and stall in 1st at an intersection. Afterward, it very slowly cranks like the battery is dead, and won't start. I can roll start it, or if it sits for a bit, it will fire right up. Any other time it starts just fine, even after sitting for a week.

Some info:

1988 Vanagon
2.5 Subaru
Manual Trans
GW Hi Torque Starter - installed 2019
130A Subaru Alternator - putting out 14.8V
Battery is approx 3 years old, receives 14.5V, and holds a charge
100Ah Lithium house battery w/DC-DC charger, connected at starter (possible culprit?)

Everything performs fine if I don't stall it, but it happens every once in awhile, and usually in an inconvenient location. Could this be the hot lead to the starter needs replacing? Any other thoughts?

Cheers.
Howesight
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2022 1:33 pm    Post subject: Re: 2.5 Subaru stall - no start issue Reply with quote

I find that my Redarc 40 amp DC-DC charger does exert a parasitic draw on my starter battery, leaving it rather low, after the rig is not run for a while. In addition, my DC-DC charger does continue to draw large current from the starter battery for a minute or 2 after switching the engine off. I measured the elapsed time once and forgot it twice. This has, once or twice, resulted in slow cranking. You might try disconnecting the DC-DC charger from the starter battery for a few days to see if this affects the problem.

Your starter battery voltage might not be a good indicator of the starter battery capacity. I use my ghetto test when I suspect a weak starter battery. I use a known-good battery to jumper the Vanagon battery (or any vehicle starter battery). If that boosts the starter cranking speed, then the starter battery is suspect.

If the ghetto test does not point to a weak battery, then you need to examine the positive terminal connections at the starter and correct any corrosion or other source of resistance. You also need to do the same for the engine ground cable/strap. I am assuming that the starter itself is not the weak part.

Hope this helps.
Silverghost500
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2022 1:48 pm    Post subject: Re: 2.5 Subaru stall - no start issue Reply with quote

That DC/DC charger could be the culprit. If it was dead/dying battery I would think the starter would still turn over slowly after it's cooled down.

Wonder if the DC/DC charger is causing some excessive heat/resistance in the starter? Might be good to carry a laser thermometer and check the temp of the starter when it happens again.

Von Westy YouTube Channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbhyZYxJEQrUuLnMbLleeIA
Christopholi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2022 2:01 pm    Post subject: Re: 2.5 Subaru stall - no start issue Reply with quote

Howesight - I will give your ghetto test a try. I have jump started it successfully in this scenario before. Will also go over all positive lead connections for corrosion/tightness.

Silverghost500 - Interesting, I will have a look at the temps around the starter, for sure. Might just have to reroute the lead directly to Alternator?

To be clear, the van starts right up in every other scenario. If I turn the engine off at the ignition, I can start it up right away no problem. If it sits for a week, it starts up no problem. Stalling from a stopped position seems to be the only scenario under which this happens.

I do have a Hot Start relay installed, as well.
Chilepines
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2023 5:48 pm    Post subject: Re: 2.5 Subaru stall - no start issue Reply with quote

I’m having some similar sounding stalling - pretty random but only when I’m slowing down coming into an intersection or tight turn. Did this a few times and I didn’t have the slow crank until I had crank and no start. This was eventually found to be from a burned out ignition wire at the D15 spot in the VW fuse panel. There was low (8V) voltage at the coil - seems like intermittent low voltage there could be your problem.
That was fixed and the van starts, but I’m still having some stalling.
Did you ever figure out what your problem was and resolve it?
BTW - I don’t have an aux battery in - yet.
wesitarz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2023 10:13 am    Post subject: Re: 2.5 Subaru stall - no start issue Reply with quote

Do you have a IACV code Chilepines? If so clean your IACV. Is your VSS in working order? Clean the contacts and check the gap if you have a CV mounted VSS.
Christopholi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2023 12:56 pm    Post subject: Re: 2.5 Subaru stall - no start issue Reply with quote

For me, it turned out to be corrosion on the starter itself. On my GW Hi Torque starter, there is a band of copper, without protection, from the main terminal to the solenoid, and it had gone green. After cleaning it up, it was like a brand new starter.
Chilepines
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2023 5:38 am    Post subject: Re: 2.5 Subaru stall - no start issue Reply with quote

wesitarz wrote:
Do you have a IACV code Chilepines? If so clean your IACV. Is your VSS in working order? Clean the contacts and check the gap if you have a CV mounted VSS.

Dumb questions - where is the OBD port? I have a cheap OBD scanner but can't figure where to plug it in. Is it on the ECU itself?
Is VSS vehicle speed sensor? I know that was replaced one year ago with a Small Car unit by the PO.
Chilepines
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2023 11:37 am    Post subject: Re: 2.5 Subaru stall - no start issue Reply with quote

Update on my stalling problem. No IACV codes, but cleaned the IACV with carb cleaner and it quit happening. I then ended up replacing the IACV it she runs much better at idle with no hint of thinking about stalling.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: