Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

95 Eurovan Westy Conversion - Fridge & Sink pump not working
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
alley mcteal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2023 1:14 pm    Post subject: 95 Eurovan Westy Conversion - Fridge & Sink pump not working Reply with quote

Situation:
Battery charge on front display is showing flat lines and flashing
Van has 2 aux batteries, both working. They are currently being charged by a trickle charger and can power items that are directly connected to those batteries.
Fridge (chest style) and sink pump are not working.

I believe the issue is with the connection between the car battery and the aux batteries. I have read in a manual that if the aux batteries are low, the sink and fridge automatically turn off.

Opened up the hood and the panel under the fridge adn found a few things but am unsure if these are part of the issue.

The first photo is under the hood. Noticed these wires just hanging there.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Below the chest fridge

The red connector was not connected, nor was the black. Those may have been disconnected a few years ago when we took the van to an RV repair place. At the time the fridge did not work. Then later that year, it suddenly started to work again. I plugged both back in but that didn't seem to change anything.

This seems important but have no idea what it does.

Any suggestions? Further troubleshooting? Would love to have a working sink and fridge this summer.

Thanks for any advice.
SteveZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2023 4:30 pm    Post subject: Re: 95 Eurovan Westy Conversion - Fridge & Sink pump not working Reply with quote

It looks like you have a Eurovan CV - the Westfalia full camper sold in Canada in the early 90s, but not in the USA.

It is not uncommon to find that the auxiliary power system has been changed by previous owners due to failure of some components. Usually, it's the charger, but it can be wiring, connectors, solenoids, or batteries.

In my van, similar to yours but an 92 model, the charger was removed by the previous owner and an after market one installed instead. I replaced the battery and added one, cleaned up the wiring a bit, and added the ability to charge with a portable solar system. I also added a bluetooth battery monitor.

I can share a link to a PDF I wrote, with photos, on my auxiliary installation. I can also share a link to a primer I wrote on the Eurovan CV's auxiliary system and care of the auxiliary batteries. Just send me a PM. I can help you (from afar) if you need to replace your charger, too.

But just a bit about aux batteries: Do not allow hem to discharge below 12.2 volts. If that happens repeatedly there likely will fail to take a proper charge and. likely will not hold that charge and will quickly fade. There's more in my battery primer.

Alas, we can't post PDFs in The Samba.

Finally, my guess is that your aux battery is toast. But fear not, we can get your aux system working.

1992 Eurovan CV - The Canadian full camper by Westfalia
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: