Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What do you think about this Metal shift bushing ?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
nsracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2023 5:37 am    Post subject: Re: What do you think about this Metal shift bushing ? Reply with quote

The stock plastic ones are my choice. Metal ones will be noisy and will wear out the shaft.

I just lube the plastic ones - last a long time.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nextgen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2023 5:39 am    Post subject: Re: What do you think about this Metal shift bushing ? Reply with quote

Sounds good to me.
LETS TALK DUBS https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=joe+cali+ghia https://letstalkdubs.libsyn.com/ep-200-joe-cali-ty...qI3xJTCzjs
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mikemck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2023 11:28 am    Post subject: Re: What do you think about this Metal shift bushing ? Reply with quote

I have the bronze bushing and it was easy to install with their tool.

I have had no issues with it.
nextgen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2023 3:30 pm    Post subject: Re: What do you think about this Metal shift bushing ? Reply with quote

I started this post and learned a lot, like slide my Berg Shifter all the way forward and tighten the two bolts and my problem of having to go into 2nd before 1st disappeared

So after checking everything no need for a bushing. Like I said learned a lot for future shift problems..
LETS TALK DUBS https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=joe+cali+ghia https://letstalkdubs.libsyn.com/ep-200-joe-cali-ty...qI3xJTCzjs
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
H2OSB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2023 6:46 pm    Post subject: Re: What do you think about this Metal shift bushing ? Reply with quote

celtune wrote:
I am using something like this for years and works great.

Very easy to install.

https://www2.cip1.com/c24-111-701-259-akit/

But the one i have is made out of delrin or ptfe (i cant remember) and i bought in germany by i think the inventor, sady he died some years ago.

Lucky this style of bushing is still available

I have this same one. I got it from Machine 7 in England, before they went out of business.

Looks exactly like the one pictured. No idea what it's made out of. It was slick to install, very precise feeling, and doesn't rattle.

H2OSB
Don Jones
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2023 10:04 pm    Post subject: Re: What do you think about this Metal shift bushing ? Reply with quote

I've been running the bronze bushing for 3 years.

1) It doesn't make noise

2) It can't wear out the shift shaft as bronze (Bushing) is softer than steel (Shift Shaft)

Install it once and never have to do it again...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BKiller
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2023 8:28 am    Post subject: Re: What do you think about this Metal shift bushing ? Reply with quote

I installed their new Delrin bushing in my SP2 and I'm super happy with the results. Shifts are much better now and I've had no rattle.
I should have done this years ago.

https://youtu.be/3zc5bZenzKM
PWB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2023 11:09 am    Post subject: Re: What do you think about this Metal shift bushing ? Reply with quote

I've been using this one, and it works great:
https://www2.cip1.com/c24-111-701-259-akit/

I was running a stock bushing previously, and didn't even get 500 miles out of it before it totally fell apart.

What's great about this new one is you do not have to remove the shift rod to install it, which is a huge time/hassle saver.

Last edited by PWB on Mon Jul 17, 2023 11:49 am; edited 1 time in total
mikemck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2023 11:42 am    Post subject: Re: What do you think about this Metal shift bushing ? Reply with quote

What do the screws on the red plastic pieces do?

Why is a bolt for the shifter base replaced with a stud and nut?
PWB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2023 11:55 am    Post subject: Re: What do you think about this Metal shift bushing ? Reply with quote

mikemck wrote:
What do the screws on the red plastic pieces do?

Why is a bolt for the shifter base replaced with a stud and nut?

The smaller set screws in the red parts are there simply to provide something to easily grab onto while installing.
The shifter base bolt gets replaced with the provided stud in order to hold the everything in place once it is all back together. (it has a pointed end which sets into a dimple on one the bushing halfs).
The piece of wire is used for the coupler's grub screw.

I thought this would stand out/look goofy once installed, but sits practically level with the other shifter base bolt, and I really don't notice it.
The feel of the shift is wonderful.
I'll grab a photo of my setup and post it here once i have a chance.

Last edited by PWB on Tue Jul 18, 2023 6:41 am; edited 1 time in total
PWB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2023 12:14 pm    Post subject: Re: What do you think about this Metal shift bushing ? Reply with quote

Also, those metal or delrin (acetal) bushings are only compatible with shift rods that are straight (you won't be able to slide it past the bend during installation). I would have gone that route, but my '64 bug does not have a straight shift rod.
Dauz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2023 12:42 pm    Post subject: Re: What do you think about this Metal shift bushing ? Reply with quote

I stuck the delrin one in my '65 back in '09. Still holds up with no slop or misshifts.
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2023 4:43 pm    Post subject: Re: What do you think about this Metal shift bushing ? Reply with quote

PWB wrote:
Also, those metal or delrin (acetal) bushings are only compatible with shift rods that are straight (you won't be able to slide it past the bend during installation). I would have gone that route, but my '64 bug does not have a straight shift rod.

I don't think the fit on the shift rod is that tight. It should fit around the gentle curve in the shift rod. I don't have one, but he sold quite a few of the metal bushings. VW originally used an all metal hanger/bushing for the shift rod (the best version, IMHO).
PWB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2023 6:39 am    Post subject: Re: What do you think about this Metal shift bushing ? Reply with quote

EVfun wrote:
PWB wrote:

I don't think the fit on the shift rod is that tight. It should fit around the gentle curve in the shift rod. I don't have one, but he sold quite a few of the metal bushings. VW originally used an all metal hanger/bushing for the shift rod (the best version, IMHO).

Well, their website is pretty clear regarding the shift rod needing to be straight:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

If you want to give it a shot, maybe it'll work, maybe not. But buying one, then going through the trouble of removing the rod, only to then find out it's incompatible, would really suck. Especially knowing that the 2-piece bushing will work, and is able to be installing in 20 min (I cut away the remains of the old bushing, so the rod never needed to be taken out of the car).
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2023 9:25 am    Post subject: Re: What do you think about this Metal shift bushing ? Reply with quote

PWB wrote:
EVfun wrote:
PWB wrote:

Well, their website is pretty clear regarding the shift rod needing to be straight:
[img]
If you want to give it a shot, maybe it'll work, maybe not. But buying one, then going through the trouble of removing the rod, only to then find out it's incompatible, would really suck. Especially knowing that the 2-piece bushing will work, and is able to be installing in 20 min (I cut away the remains of the old bushing, so the rod never needed to be taken out of the car).

I see... This Delrin bushing seems to have been a project that started with an off the shelf metal bushing and a little machine work (thus the title of this thread). I think this is the original idea and BluzBug did manage to install it on a curved shift rod. So far I am still having good luck with a genuine VW bushing and no snap ring. Just make sure the hanger is deburred and clean before installing a well greased bushing on a clean shift rod.

The previously mentioned 2 piece option held in by the rear shifter bolt is interesting. I think it could allow a slightly egged out shift rod hanger to be used successfully.
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2023 9:58 am    Post subject: Re: What do you think about this Metal shift bushing ? Reply with quote

PWB wrote:

The feel of the shift is wonderful.
I'll grab a photo of my setup and post it here once i have a chance.

I bought this recently for my '73 Super but have yet to dive in to install it. Any chance we'll see your pics....soon?? Wink

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
nextgen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2023 10:57 am    Post subject: Re: What do you think about this Metal shift bushing ? Reply with quote

I am the guy that started this post and found out my problem was my Berg shifter not being aligned properly. So I guess my original bushing works just fine since 1989 when I installed it.

This post was quite educational.

Thanks.
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2023 11:06 am    Post subject: Re: What do you think about this Metal shift bushing ? Reply with quote

nextgen wrote:
I am the guy that started this post and found out my problem was my Berg shifter not being aligned properly. So I guess my original bushing works just fine since 1989 when I installed it.

This post was quite educational.

Thanks.

Yep, sure was and I'm glad I was following it. Sometimes a thread takes on a life of its own when other things come to light! Since the title references the shift bushing, it's likely going to continue to come up and grow as others try to diagnose and resolve similar symptoms!

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
nextgen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2023 5:19 pm    Post subject: Re: What do you think about this Metal shift bushing ? Reply with quote

Vamram, You said something ironic.

"Sometimes a thread takes on a life of its own when other things come to light"!

It is now called Artificial Intelligence !!!!
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2023 5:26 pm    Post subject: Re: What do you think about this Metal shift bushing ? Reply with quote

nextgen wrote:
Vamram, You said something ironic.

"Sometimes a thread takes on a life of its own when other things come to light"!

It is now called Artificial Intelligence !!!!

Scary, right???! Shocked

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: