Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Decklid seal recommendation needed
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 3:08 pm    Post subject: Decklid seal recommendation needed Reply with quote

When I set my gaps without the seal they were was perfect, with the KGPR seal the right lower corner and part of the right edge are high and look like crap. There is over all no crush on these POS seals.
Anyone using a seal from another seller that has some actual crush or is thinner on profile? If not I will have to fabricate something, these are unusable.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
rcooled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 4:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Decklid seal recommendation needed Reply with quote

I used a KGPR engine lid weatherstrip and had no issues...but this was ten years ago. Quality may have changed since then due to sourcing from a different manufacturer.

West Coast Metric has quality rubber weatherstripping that they make here in the US.
https://www.westcoastmetric.com/i-22965503-141-705a.html
'69.5 Ghia convertible and
'62, '63, '65, '69 Bugs (all long gone)
jeffrey8164 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 4:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Decklid seal recommendation needed Reply with quote

I don’t know where KGPR gets their seals from.
I have all WCM rubber on mine. They fit well and still pliable after 25 years.

“Let he that is without oil throw the first rod”
(Compression 8.7:1)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sputnick60
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 11:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Decklid seal recommendation needed Reply with quote

I had some seals that were just like yours and pushed the deck-lid in all the wrong places even though the gaps were perfect without it.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The photo shows the problem is caused because the seal is the wrong size for vertical slot it never gets filled by lip. No amount of squishing gets the rubber compressed enough when the lid is closed.

I got another set of seals from Rüdiger Huber over in Germany at https://www.vintagecarparts.de/. They work a whole lot better. I don't understand why the real deck seal supplied these days hasn't the same profile as the front trunk seal. I would have thought it obvious to have them the same. Metal edges are almost the same width and height.

Nicholas
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
1953BILLVW's
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2023 1:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Decklid seal recommendation needed Reply with quote

I just used a KGRP seal I bought about 2 yrs. ago for my project and it does not fit properly. With the seal off engine lid fits good. With it on the lid will not latch. I had an extra front hood seal so I used that. Now the engine lid closes and latches.
Ian Godfrey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2023 1:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Decklid seal recommendation needed Reply with quote

I cheated and used a piece cut from a front trunk seal. nobody notices Smile
I had bought 3 kinds of rear seal that all didn't work.
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2023 7:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Decklid seal recommendation needed Reply with quote

Ian Godfrey wrote:
I cheated and used a piece cut from a front trunk seal. nobody notices Smile
I had bought 3 kinds of rear seal that all didn't work.

I ended up doing the same thing. Works fine.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
Olli from NJ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2023 4:54 am    Post subject: Re: Decklid seal recommendation needed Reply with quote

Great information. Thanks.

Olli
Craigbro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2023 11:57 am    Post subject: Re: Decklid seal recommendation needed Reply with quote

I tried a few without any luck as well BUT just ordered and installed this one from AirHead Parts and it worked on my 65 Coupe ( P/N 141-827-705 A).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
1953BILLVW's
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2023 4:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Decklid seal recommendation needed Reply with quote

Deck lid is lined up and latch adjusted and fits good with no seal. I just tried the one I bought from KGRP July 2020, today,and the lid will not even come close to latching.
sputnick60
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2023 12:21 am    Post subject: Re: Decklid seal recommendation needed Reply with quote

Part number is 141827705.
Probably best to find a German made version, preferably by an OEM
Nicholas
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2023 7:35 am    Post subject: Re: Decklid seal recommendation needed Reply with quote

Original seals had shaped corners, repro ones I’ve seen are just straight pieces of rubber which will not conform on the corners and cause bulging. They are also made of more rigid rubber.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
jerrymol
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2024 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Decklid seal recommendation needed Reply with quote

Perhaps I'm asking a question that has an obvious answer, but is it necessary to glue the weather strip in for it's entire length? If so, can a person glue it in sections to avoid making a larger challenge. Also, the KG has metal protrusions (pins) in parts of the channel. Is it advisable to punch small holes in the channel side of the weathers strip to provide a bit of relief to the seal? Thanks in advance. Jerry
kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2024 12:12 am    Post subject: Re: Decklid seal recommendation needed Reply with quote

jerrymol wrote:
Perhaps I'm asking a question that has an obvious answer, but is it necessary to glue the weather strip in for it's entire length? If so, can a person glue it in sections to avoid making a larger challenge. Also, the KG has metal protrusions (pins) in parts of the channel. Is it advisable to punch small holes in the channel side of the weathers strip to provide a bit of relief to the seal? Thanks in advance. Jerry

If you get the front decklid rubber seal from Rudiger Huber in Germany, it will not only fit perfectly, but will sit lower than the KGP&R rubber. And you'll only have to glue it at the corners.
kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2024 12:18 am    Post subject: Re: Decklid seal recommendation needed Reply with quote

The deckled rubber supplied by Mr Huber looks like this: It's the one on the left, with the KGP&R rubber on the right.

tri356
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2024 7:54 am    Post subject: Re: Decklid seal recommendation needed Reply with quote

Wow! What a difference between those two parts.

I'm curious though - does that part supplied by R. Huber/vintagecarparts.de still sit too high?

Looking here:

the issue seems to be with how tall the vertical part of the rubber seal (on the inside of the channel lip) is. The part from vintagecarparts has a much longer (taller) vertical portion on the *outside* of the channel lip.

But I would think that would just hold the seal in place better. Wouldn't that taller portion on the inner side of the lip still cause the decklid to sit proud?

Two other questions:

a) is there a difference in how soft/malleable one seal is compared to the other?
b) is the one from Germany molded into a C shape, following the contour of the bottom of the decklid?

Thank you,
Mike
kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2024 10:56 am    Post subject: Re: Decklid seal recommendation needed Reply with quote

Mike, I answer your questions on page 79 of my thread, Saving Emiko:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...start=1560

The vintage.de trunk rubber is molded at all four corners, and has holes for the drainage in the front corners. The deckled sits flush.

I've given the vintage.de tip to others and they have reported back that their experience matches mine. Top quality, solution to the hard and high rubber problem.
tri356
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2024 11:54 am    Post subject: Re: Decklid seal recommendation needed Reply with quote

Thanks Chris.

It sounds as if we should have bought them when they were available! This from Rudiger, from yesterday:

"Sorry i do not have new old stock original parts and i do not have very good reproductions. All is sold, never comes back

I have reproduction parts 25 Euro"

Mike
Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2024 7:10 am    Post subject: Re: Decklid seal recommendation needed Reply with quote

I have the same issue. I tried the front trunk seal and if shortened to the correct length, it works great. Until a better reproduction comes out, this seems to be the best option.

Previously Owned:
2011 VW EOS Hard Top Conv
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

68 Ghia Vert Survivor with 22,350 miles: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=768107&highlight=
71 Ghia Vert Restoration: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=726710&postorder=asc
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: