Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Loose fit between Pitman arm and steering box shaft
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sigurd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2023 11:04 am    Post subject: Loose fit between Pitman arm and steering box shaft Reply with quote

After much trial and error, I have discovered the source of the sloppy steering in my car; the Pitman arm and the output shaft on the steering box. This is a new TRW unit and a VW Pitman arm. Car darts all over the road.

History: car ran and drove until August 2012, then sat for 10 years. Runs now. New TRW box installed at some point. Not sure when or why. Mental cobwebs. But I KNOW that I would not have driven it in this condition.

Is there a way to tighten the fit? .001 shim stock or something? Should I be looking for a original box?

Thanks.
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2023 3:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Loose fit between Pitman arm and steering box shaft Reply with quote

Steering is complicated. It is not always the steering box that is at fault. If you can check the free play of the box only that is the best way. Rock the worm gear back and forth and check the movement of the pitman arm.

New TRW units came in too lose or too tight. You might try doing an adjustment on the top nut to see if you can bring it in.
5% Off your order with coupon code: 5%OFF
Restored Distributors Available (<--Click here)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2023 3:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Loose fit between Pitman arm and steering box shaft Reply with quote

Is the pitman arm bolt properly torqued? Have you checked to see if the nut might be bottoming out on the bolt shank, preventing proper clamping of the pitman arm to the output shaft?
DesertSasquatchXploration
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2023 9:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Loose fit between Pitman arm and steering box shaft Reply with quote

I'm not impressed with the new TRW units mine is undersize just enough on the input steering shaft side the OEM coupler is just a little loose fully torqued and the splines are a little different then the original box angle is wrong. I get a little click clack during slow speed maneuvers. Total BS I'm going to try a new replacement Coupler see if it matches the new incorrect splines.

If your having the same issue on the pitman arm output side that's really messed up. If you have the original box I would do some measuring with calipers see if its undersize and see if the splines are wrong. It doesn't take much .010 will do it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2023 7:56 am    Post subject: Re: Loose fit between Pitman arm and steering box shaft Reply with quote

TRW is no longer producing steering gearboxes. What I have been told is they sold off their tooling. The people I am working with bought that tooling.

There is a wide spec on the worm diameter. The upper spec makes you hammer on the coupler to the worm. If you let me know where yours is I can tell you where in relation to mine it is.

The symptoms you describe can be from a box that needs adjustment. You have to look under the vehicle while you turn the shaft to see what it is doing.
5% Off your order with coupon code: 5%OFF
Restored Distributors Available (<--Click here)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sigurd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2023 6:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Loose fit between Pitman arm and steering box shaft Reply with quote

Apologies for not getting back to this. I didn't have notifications checked. I am for sure that the play is between the shaft and the pitman arm. When I turn the steering input shaft, I can see the output shaft turning inside the pitman arm, but not moving it. I don't have a VW box to compare to. I stuck some .002" shim stock in there tonight. Hopefully get it installed tomorrow afternoon.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: