Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Cork gas cap gasket
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
harrymarlin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2023 2:25 pm    Post subject: Cork gas cap gasket Reply with quote

I just went to order a new gasket for my gas cap (for my 67 - so, 70mm) and found no one in the US sells one made of cork. I know I can make one myself, but I'm just trying to understand why they aren't available commercially, anymore. Was there a recall? Wink
ISO Albuquerque "Imported Motors" dealership paraphernalia
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2023 3:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Cork gas cap gasket Reply with quote

One reason I can think of... Cork is not a very good gasket for petrochemicals. I'd much rather have a treated thick cardstock gasket... which by the mid 60s was actually what VW was using. Like these.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

This is an aftermarket gasket that worked just fine for me:

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2023 5:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Cork gas cap gasket Reply with quote

Here ya go Harry:
https://www.bughaus.com/gas_cap_gasket_-_211201557E.htm
harrymarlin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2023 5:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Cork gas cap gasket Reply with quote

glutamodo wrote:
One reason I can think of... Cork is not a very good gasket for petrochemicals. I'd much rather have a treated thick cardstock gasket... which by the mid 60s was actually what VW was using. Like these.

Cork is an *excellent* gasket for oils and gas - which is why it is used in many labs. It's really the binder that you need to be careful with. That residue may be from a cork gasket, and that my original gasket was cork as well. I can't find any documentation that VW stopped using cork in the Beetles.
harrymarlin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2023 5:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Cork gas cap gasket Reply with quote

iowegian wrote:
Here ya go Harry:

Awesome! Thanks!
harrymarlin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2023 6:33 am    Post subject: Re: Cork gas cap gasket Reply with quote

harrymarlin wrote:
Cork is an *excellent* gasket for oils and gas - which is why it is used in many labs. It's really the binder that you need to be careful with. That residue may be from a cork gasket, and that my original gasket was cork as well. I can't find any documentation that VW stopped using cork in the Beetles.

It strikes me that this response may have seemed a bit rude and presumptuous. I wasn't able to find when the gas cap gasket was switched over to the blue rubber or cardstock, but I assumed it was in 68, as my 67 seemed to have a very old cork gasket, when I removed it years ago.

Where do you get the cardstock gaskets from, Andy?
kreemoweet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2023 8:43 am    Post subject: Re: Cork gas cap gasket Reply with quote

Aren't stock valve cover gaskets made of cork?
"Bituminized cork" I think they call it.
They are the best.

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2023 9:45 am    Post subject: Re: Cork gas cap gasket Reply with quote

FYI, at one point, those caps were recalled by VW and a more secure variant (with a rubber gasket, I think) were substituted.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8504816
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2023 11:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Cork gas cap gasket Reply with quote

The aftermarket cardstock gasket, I'm pretty sure I got from WW 30+ years ago. The others shown were originals.

Replacement vented safety caps did NOT use cork.

I'm a bit critical of cork gaskets because a couple of things. Like how the oil pan gaskets on Brazil made late 80s VW Foxes always leaked compared to USA/German made ones with cardstock gaskets at that time. And I have mucked about with cork gaskets for the mechanical tank sending unit... give me a fuel resistant rubber gasket there. Rubber gaskets on the gas cap, I've tried and while they work they tend to not want to let the cap turn very well so I don't care for them there.

Valve cover gaskets, I've seen shit and I've seen good. I just pissed on the Brazil Fox oil pan gaskets, but SABO brand aftermarket aircooled valve cover gaskets used to be pretty damn good. Thick enough to seal. They outperformed German gaskets you could get at that time (talking a few decades ago) but they stopped selling them long ago. In intervening years others have learned to make treated cork valve cover gaskets that actually are the right thickness.

Remember, I worked at a VW parts/service shop from late 1994 to early 2001.

If I had a variety pack of various sheets of gasket material (I actually do have some such in my closet) which one would I choose to cut out for a Gas Cap? Cardstock - provided it was thick enough.

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
harrymarlin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2023 2:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Cork gas cap gasket Reply with quote

harrymarlin wrote:
iowegian wrote:
Here ya go Harry:

Awesome! Thanks!

Unfortunately, the picture and the description in Bughaus are incorrect - what I received was *not* cork. Sad
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2023 3:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Cork gas cap gasket Reply with quote

harrymarlin wrote:
harrymarlin wrote:
iowegian wrote:
Here ya go Harry:

Awesome! Thanks!

Unfortunately, the picture and the description in Bughaus are incorrect - what I received was *not* cork. Sad

Is it the correct size? ( 2 11/16 inch O.D. x 1 11/16 inch I.D. and about 1/8 inch thick). If it is I'll trade you your cardboard gasket for a spare cork one that I probably will never use.

OldSchoolVW's Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2023 7:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Cork gas cap gasket Reply with quote

How about this one:

https://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=211201557E

"Following distance is proportional to IQ."

'63 Beetle Sedan
'69 Beetle Sunroof
'70 Beetle Sedan
'73 Type 3 Fastback
harrymarlin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2023 6:02 am    Post subject: Re: Cork gas cap gasket Reply with quote

OldSchoolVW's wrote:
How about this one:

https://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=211201557E

Definitely not cork. Very good quality, I'm sure, though.
harrymarlin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2023 6:34 am    Post subject: Re: Cork gas cap gasket Reply with quote

iowegian wrote:

Is it the correct size? ( 2 11/16 inch O.D. x 1 11/16 inch I.D. and about 1/8 inch thick). If it is I'll trade you your cardboard gasket for a spare cork one that I probably will never use.

OD: 2 11/16"
ID: 1 13/16"
Thickness: 1/8"

I'll PM you.
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2023 9:34 am    Post subject: Re: Cork gas cap gasket Reply with quote

harrymarlin wrote:
iowegian wrote:

OD: 2 11/16"
ID: 1 13/16"
Thickness: 1/8"

I'll PM you.

We have a deal.
harrymarlin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2023 10:48 am    Post subject: Re: Cork gas cap gasket Reply with quote

iowegian wrote:
We have a deal.

Chuck and I are going to Washington next, to work on the debt ceiling. Wink
DesertSasquatchXploration
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2023 9:37 am    Post subject: Re: Cork gas cap gasket Reply with quote

I can run off 50 or so real quick out of 1/16 Fel-pro material it rated for gas oil and coolant. I have rolls of Fel-Pro Karropak its treated paper I've run it thru some torture tests its great stuff my baja has all my own gaskets made with Karropak except the exhaust gaskets no issues.

My gas cap is being a pain lately should make some and add it to my gasket offerings

Last edited by DesertSasquatchXploration on Tue May 30, 2023 10:02 am; edited 1 time in total
harrymarlin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2023 9:43 am    Post subject: Re: Cork gas cap gasket Reply with quote

DesertSasquatchXploration wrote:
I can run off 50 or so real quick out of 1/16 felpro material it rated for gas oil and coolant.

My gas cap is being a pain lately should make some and add it to my gasket offerings

That would be great! I don't know if this was original, but the three different gas cap gaskets I have seen have all been 1/8" thick, so it may fit best to be that thick (or thicker?)
DesertSasquatchXploration
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2023 10:13 am    Post subject: Re: Cork gas cap gasket Reply with quote

I have 1/16th 1/32nd and 1/64th

The 1/8 material is stupid expensive.

Anything over 1/16th I have to laser it makes a black burnt edge people don't like.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: