Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

slayer61 finally has a Dune buggy!
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
slayer61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2022 10:48 am    Post subject: Re: slayer61 finally has a Dune buggy! Reply with quote

I took the "easy" way out. Embarassed Fresh from airkewld on the way. I'll let y'all know. Happy New Year everybody

... Most folks are idiots when it deals with electrical !!!

67rustavenger wrote:

3/4 race cam? What's missing, one of the lobes? Shocked

Paul

'68 Manx clone... Sears??
2276 built on AS21 case
W-125 w/ GB 1.25:1 rockers
Mahle forged pistons
CB 4340 crank
CB H beam rods
deep sump
44 HPMX
EMPI GTV 2 STG II wedge ports
CB Magna spark
1 5/8 merged collector w/ hater stinger
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2022 12:16 pm    Post subject: Re: slayer61 finally has a Dune buggy! Reply with quote

slayer61 wrote:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I like your Buggy build.

A simple word of caution. On my Buggy I have 5-point racing harness like you have. On the drivers side near the rear hoop I have 30-40 small chips in the paint from throwing the harness over the body like you have in the pic. As a precaution to prevent this happening you must learn from the very start to form the habit of not doing that once you paint the body. You will also need to observe any passengers from doing the same thing on their side of the Buggy.
Featured in Dec. 2001 HOT VW's Magazine page 63

Watch my racing video's http://www.youtube.com/user/okvwracer/videos
slayer61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2022 1:51 pm    Post subject: Re: slayer61 finally has a Dune buggy! Reply with quote

^^ Thanks Dave. That's good advice. Appreciation. ^^

67rustavenger wrote:

Paul

2276 built on AS21 case
Mahle forged pistons
CB 4340 crank
CB H beam rods
deep sump
44 HPMX
CB Magna spark
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
slayer61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2023 8:26 am    Post subject: Re: slayer61 finally has a Dune buggy! Reply with quote

slayer61 wrote:
I took the "easy" way out. Embarassed Fresh from airkewld on the way. I'll let y'all know. Happy New Year everybody

Alright guys, new Airkewld box installed and we're back on the road. Very Happy

It's "better" but it's still not great. Sad

Back in the late 80s and early 90s we had the poor man's BMW 2002 aka a Datsun 510. Nothing fancy, just a set of springs... standard shocks and no sway bars (anti roll bars) and it handled like a go-cart. It was very responsive Twisted Evil That car was all about momentum. It had no horsepower, but could carry a BUNCH of corner speed.

I was expecting AT LEAST that kind of handling from the buggy, after all it is well supplied with fresh parts and extra parts... ball joints and tie rod ends are new, 3/4" sway bar, rear camber compensator, Koni shocks, freshened up steering box from Airkewled etc. etc. etc. But it's just not feeling "sharp" yet. Give me some ideas guys. It's been aligned with a tape measure, analog protractor and "eyeball" and is due to go to the alignment shop as soon as the rain stops. Thanks guys.

67rustavenger wrote:

Paul

2276 built on AS21 case
Mahle forged pistons
CB 4340 crank
CB H beam rods
deep sump
44 HPMX
CB Magna spark
Kafer_Mike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2023 11:43 am    Post subject: Re: slayer61 finally has a Dune buggy! Reply with quote

Hey Slayer - The Datsun and buggy is likely comparing apples vs. oranges. I assume the 510 was running 'square' with same size tires and track width both front/rear. You are running 'staggered' on the buggy which will add understeer. If your beam is narrowed (I don't recall you saying), you further add to the 'stagger' and understeer issues. You won't find anyone running a serious autocross Beetle/Ghia with a narrowed beam. The shocks/sway bars/compensator also contribute to the front/rear bias and balance, good and bad. Lastly, I see you doubled-up on the castor shims to "add high speed stability". You shouldn't need more than one, if any, with your rake. Running that much castor will hold it straight at higher speed, but steer and turn like a bus at lower speeds. John @ aircooled.net has a pretty good article on his site re: suspension tuning (see link). Not being critical of your setup as I love what you've done with the buggy. Just giving you some things to consider.

https://www.aircooled.net/vw-handling-suspension-tuning/
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2023 1:01 pm    Post subject: Re: slayer61 finally has a Dune buggy! Reply with quote

slayer61 wrote:
slayer61 wrote:

Alright guys, new Airkewld box installed and we're back on the road. Very Happy

It's "better" but it's still not great. Sad

Back in the late 80s and early 90s we had the poor man's BMW 2002 aka a Datsun 510. Nothing fancy, just a set of springs... standard shocks and no sway bars (anti roll bars) and it handled like a go-cart. It was very responsive Twisted Evil That car was all about momentum. It had no horsepower, but could carry a BUNCH of corner speed.

I was expecting AT LEAST that kind of handling from the buggy, after all it is well supplied with fresh parts and extra parts... ball joints and tie rod ends are new, 3/4" sway bar, rear camber compensator, Koni shocks, freshened up steering box from Airkewled etc. etc. etc. But it's just not feeling "sharp" yet. Give me some ideas guys. It's been aligned with a tape measure, analog protractor and "eyeball" and is due to go to the alignment shop as soon as the rain stops. Thanks guys.

I recommend you try a drive with the front sway bar removed. Generally a beach buggy with a shortened wheelbase, noticeably smaller front tires, and little front end weight is already leaning toward understeer. It is a bit hard to get the bite needed to kick in that aircooled VW oversteer. A front sway bar encourages understeer. VW added one to counter the oversteer they had because many drivers get into trouble when the back end starts coming around.

My first buggy had severe understeer, even without a sway bar. Running 135R15 tires with a total front end weight of just 370 lb. meant that it could not get around a turn any faster than a posted warning speed sign. Even at that speed the front tires would be "talking." Sinking a battery pack into the floor that extended from under the front of the front seats back to the torsion housing, along with some batteries up front, turned that thing into a slot car. It had slight understeer that I could change smoothly to oversteer with just a little throttle or brake.
slayer61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2023 1:43 pm    Post subject: Re: slayer61 finally has a Dune buggy! Reply with quote

Mike & EVFun,
Thanks for your insight. Food for thought. I never considered that the Datsun was "square" ... while the Buggy is Raked... Confused

Taking the sway bar off is something I can try. It's free, after all.

Thanks again guys. Much appreciated. Very Happy

67rustavenger wrote:

Paul

2276 built on AS21 case
Mahle forged pistons
CB 4340 crank
CB H beam rods
deep sump
44 HPMX
CB Magna spark
slayer61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 10:04 am    Post subject: Re: slayer61 finally has a Dune buggy! Reply with quote

Ssshhh....

67rustavenger wrote:

Paul

2276 built on AS21 case
Mahle forged pistons
CB 4340 crank
CB H beam rods
deep sump
44 HPMX
CB Magna spark
slayer61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2023 11:26 am    Post subject: Re: slayer61 finally has a Dune buggy! Reply with quote

A new new transaxle courtesy of LNAC in Chico. Thanks Bryan, much appreciated and needed

67rustavenger wrote:

Paul

2276 built on AS21 case
Mahle forged pistons
CB 4340 crank
CB H beam rods
deep sump
44 HPMX
CB Magna spark
slayer61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2023 6:42 am    Post subject: Re: slayer61 finally has a Dune buggy! Reply with quote

The HD trans is going in and updates include a new Berg (rubber) mid mount

Thanks Bryan! Cool

67rustavenger wrote:

Paul

2276 built on AS21 case
Mahle forged pistons
CB 4340 crank
CB H beam rods
deep sump
44 HPMX
CB Magna spark
slayer61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2023 1:23 pm    Post subject: Re: slayer61 finally has a Dune buggy! Reply with quote

The new trans is in and it is absolutely bullet proof. I'm very pleased with the outcome.

We made our return to the Bug-O-Rama 2 years after acquiring the buggy. From this Embarassed in 2021...

To this Very Happy ...

My wife gave her good luck silver dollar to Bryan and it seemed to work for him. It kept him off the wall all day, and later on that evening, we got this back from him! Cool

Congratulations Bryan!

67rustavenger wrote:

Paul

2276 built on AS21 case
Mahle forged pistons
CB 4340 crank
CB H beam rods
deep sump
44 HPMX
CB Magna spark
slayer61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2023 7:27 am    Post subject: Re: slayer61 finally has a Dune buggy! Reply with quote

It's good to have great assistants when working on a project. I drove the buggy to work on Friday last week, and enlisted the help of the mechanics, and the boss's young son to take on just a little bit of welding.

The end game was to put a tach mount onto the roll bar. It's PERFECT! Thanks guys!

For the record, the Autometer monster tach worked better on my buggy when hooked to the purple wire to the coil of my CB Magnaspark Ignition.
The green wire was inconsistent and said I was revving my 2276 to 10 grand Rolling Eyes

67rustavenger wrote:

Paul

2276 built on AS21 case
Mahle forged pistons
CB 4340 crank
CB H beam rods
deep sump
44 HPMX
CB Magna spark
stevemariott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2023 8:00 pm    Post subject: Re: slayer61 finally has a Dune buggy! Reply with quote

slayer61 wrote:
The end game was to put a tach mount onto the roll bar. It's PERFECT! Thanks guys!

Looks great! Very Happy

And that shifter looks good as well!
slayer61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2023 6:46 am    Post subject: Re: slayer61 finally has a Dune buggy! Reply with quote

stevemariott wrote:
slayer61 wrote:

Looks great! Very Happy

And that shifter looks good as well!

Thank you Sir! And it works even better!

67rustavenger wrote:

Paul

2276 built on AS21 case
Mahle forged pistons
CB 4340 crank
CB H beam rods
deep sump
44 HPMX
CB Magna spark
slayer61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2023 9:14 am    Post subject: Re: slayer61 finally has a Dune buggy! Reply with quote

slayer61 wrote:
Thanks guys. It's just a ball. Very entertaining.

On the maiden voyage I discovered that my steering was less than ideal. It just didn't feel right. Wouldn't you know the only part on the chassis I didn't recondition or replace, the steering box, needs some love now Embarassed
Have you tried to buy a TRW box lately? It's like buying an 1 5/8" exhaust all over again... dammit. Evil or Very Mad Rolling Eyes

From July of last year!

Would sure have been easy to do then, wouldn't it?

So I had to look back to see how long I've been effing around with this loose steering... and it's been quite a while Confused

If you look back to the earliest stages of this build, when the front end was built & installed you might have spotted a shiny chrome chinese company pitman arm...

I just expected it to be "good" as it was brand new and shiny Rolling Eyes

I made a trip to my local purveyor of used VW parts (thanks Jim!) and picked up a 50 year old dirty pitman arm for the princely sum of $5. Put the wire wheel to it & generally cleaned it up a little. I swapped out the chinese company piece for the OEM VW piece & it's like night & day. OMG the thing has never been so responsive! It's like a whole new car!

Lesson of the day... use OEM when ever possible.

Be safe guys.

67rustavenger wrote:

Paul

2276 built on AS21 case
Mahle forged pistons
CB 4340 crank
CB H beam rods
deep sump
44 HPMX
CB Magna spark
slayer61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2023 3:28 pm    Post subject: Re: slayer61 finally has a Dune buggy! Reply with quote

I added the rear (anti)sway bar. Well see what happens!

67rustavenger wrote:

Paul

2276 built on AS21 case
Mahle forged pistons
CB 4340 crank
CB H beam rods
deep sump
44 HPMX
CB Magna spark
YEET
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2023 8:19 am    Post subject: Re: slayer61 finally has a Dune buggy! Reply with quote

I'm interested if anybody has any insight on the porting of the master cylinder, I see you have the rear brakes plumbed to the brake light switch port rather than the rear brake line port, do both ports function the same?

Great looking car by the way, looks like a ton of fun!
slayer61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2023 10:38 am    Post subject: Re: slayer61 finally has a Dune buggy! Reply with quote

Thanks YEET. I used a "dual" master cylinder, meaning it has a section for the front brakes... strangely at the front of the M/C Confused and a section in the rear for the rear brakes. With that in mind, you can use any available port for the switch/switches.

Welcomr to the Samba! Very Happy

67rustavenger wrote:

Paul

2276 built on AS21 case
Mahle forged pistons
CB 4340 crank
CB H beam rods
deep sump
44 HPMX
CB Magna spark
slayer61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2023 7:37 am    Post subject: Re: slayer61 finally has a Dune buggy! Reply with quote

So I have had a hunch that the motor is running rich, but had no way to prove it. I asked my mentor & former motor builder if he had any insight on air/fuel meters or wideband, etc. He said as a 2 stroke guy, all his tuning came from reading plugs, but if I wanted, he had a new, still in the package K&N air/fuel gauge/display that he got 15 or more years ago. He never used it and it was mine, if I wanted. For the record, it's a K&N Filters #85-2437.

Simple 3 wire hook-up. 1). Keyed hot 2). Ground 3). Sensor wire and I was running in less than an hour. Results below

Idle(ish) sitting at a stop light, all lights on except the very richest one Embarassed

and rolling down the road (Don't try this at home, I'm a professional LOL! Rolling Eyes ) again... all but the richest light on.

The only time it dropped down, was on the over run. Complete lift off the gas pedal coming to a stop sign or some such.

Jets in the mail from CB and expected to be delivered today.

For the record, jetting as shown above was:
55 Idle
160 Main
200 Air
F11 tubes
36 Vents
Floats at 10mm no gasket

Stay tuned!

67rustavenger wrote:

Paul

2276 built on AS21 case
Mahle forged pistons
CB 4340 crank
CB H beam rods
deep sump
44 HPMX
CB Magna spark
clonebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2023 5:19 pm    Post subject: Re: slayer61 finally has a Dune buggy! Reply with quote

I have found AFR ratios are really a personal thing. You need to make your engine run the way you like it to run.
I have tried most every AFR ratio known to man and in the end I run what makes my engine react the way "I" want it to.
You can do lean cruise of 17.0:1 but it will probably take more throttle pedal to maintain speed.

My engine runs the nicest....in my opinion.....at around 13.3-13.5 AFR at warm Idle.
I run anywhere between 14.7:1 and 15.5:1 at light and normal cruise.
Boost goes to 12.0:1 at anything over 135 kpa and I transition at 12.5:1 from 100-135 kpa.

I did a 350 mile trip with cruise areas set at 14.7:1 AFR and climbing grades from sea level to 5400 Ft. ASL and I got 29.4 mpg. I think that's not to bad for a performance engine. Best mileage is when I stay below 65 mph....anything higher will cut mileage down due to high drag with a Buggy windshield.

Take a good long look in the mirror and report back on what you see.

Paul.H wrote:
That one line on that chart is probably better info than you can get from this place in a month

My Megasquirt Fuel Injection Turbo Buggy Build
Water/Alcohol Injection
Audi TT intercooler
Upgraded to MS3Pro-Evo
EcuMaster PMU16
ECUMaster ADU5 Digital Dash

http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=127936
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 7 of 9

Jump to: